587,535 active members*
3,633 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Upgrade from 60W to 80W laser tube

I want upgrade my machine from 60W to 80W. My 60W laser tube was died(and spare one I bought with laser engraving machine- worked 5-10 hours) and now when I must bay new one I want bay 80W tube and power supply.
    Did I must do something special in software or just replace tube and power supply?
    Does mirrors and lens are same for 60W and 80W ?

Laser tubes

Hi BiBi,

I just got a 80 watt laser machine and I think it would have been better to get the 60 watt for engraving. And the 80 watt is better for cutting. I will most likely get a 60 watt tube later and I am hoping that the power supply will not need to be changed? I plan on doing more engraving then cutting. Plus the fact that the 80 watt tube is longer so you may need to cut a hole in your cabinet to allow the tube to clear. Then you will need to fab a cover for the tube. If anyone knows if the power supply are the same please let us know.

Chris

Hi Chris,
    I made order for tube and power supply two day ago. Now U said that 60W is better for engraving and 80w for cutting - can u explain that.

Which problem I will have with 80W tube and engraving.

I had problem with cutting plywood and when my 60Wtube died I decide to by stronger tube and manufacturer said to me that I must change power supply and I made order for both.
    He ask me for what I use laser(cutting or engraving) that give me correct tube. I said both and he said that will be choose tube for both ?!

80 Watt tube or 60 watt

BiBi,

The 60 watt tube will cut 10mm and a 80 watt tube will cut 20mm The 60 watt tube has a better pin point beam then the 80 watt so it will give better results. But I am just starting to learn about Laser machines. But I have read lots and have talked to suppliers about this topic.

Chris

Hi Chris,
    I have never succeed cut more of 5mm plywood, normally I use 4mm plywood and many times I have problem with cutting 4mm and with other tube these few day before laser died have same result.I am changed lens and same result.