587,215 active members*
3,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 14 of 20 41213141516
    It seems I was wrong! Thankyou for those positive replies. As for a visit, Id love to, and when an opportunity arises Ill be in touch. Just as a bit of background, my dad bought us a Lin Haun lathe and a Rong Fu Milling machine I guess about 20 years ago. I brought them with me when I migrated to Australia and have been pottering around with them ever since.

The difficulty I have experienced is that I have more hobbies than time. Work does not help either. Tooling is slowly coming together, except when you buy a set of R8 collets for the mill and they dont fit! I suppose my mill is not an R8 after all. Ive learned most about machining from the model engineering books, but often the projects suggest 230M07 steel, which I cant seem to find.

At the moment Im cleaning out the mill and I think Ill replace the bearings although they have not seen much use. How do I keep my machine in tip top condition (ie nice and shiny steel surfaces) when its use is infrequent?

cheers
    Paul

Paul,
    230M07 is a British standard the same as AS 1443 - 1994 1214. Just ask your local steel supplier for S1214.
    The only way to keep your mill shiny is to use it more!
    Regards
    Geoff

230M07 is just a free machining mild steel. S1214 is readily available.
    If i am not using my machines, a light spray of something like lanomax stops any surface corrosion. Any Lonolin based spray leaves a film that will not completely dry out. Just remember to wipe the surface down well before you clamp anything onto it.
    Whats the reason for replacing the bearings? Are they worn? This can get expensive (and time consuming) pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by squiz81 View Post
    If i am not using my machines, a light spray of something like lanomax stops any surface corrosion. Any Lonolin based spray leaves a film that will not completely dry out. Just remember to wipe the surface down well before you clamp anything onto it.
    Whats the reason for replacing the bearings? Are they worn? This can get expensive (and time consuming) pretty quick.
    Thanks for the advice Squiz81, and I think I must just use it more as Tumutbound suggested! Do lanolin products "go off" and will it start to smell bad?

I want to replace the bearings as the lower ones are conical and have developed a slightly rough texture on the outer race. I found a web site where they had a photo of exactly the same thing and thats what they did, and since I have pulled the whole thing apart, I thought i would do the same.

Lanolin will make you coolant turn, but if you are using it to cover beds and headstocks, as a short term solution it is fine. It doesn't really go "off" but most lanolin products do have a destinct odour. Some are much better than others.
    Lonolin is used in my shop to cover parts that have been made but are awaiting the next process. We make a lot of moulds which require surface ground plates. A light spray of lanomax as each one comes of the machine and there is no surface rust.
    If you are worried, there are a few other things you can try like "multigliss molycote" - a little more expensive but a synthetic product that shouldn't effect coolant.
    I find lanolin gives the thickest film. We used to use molycote but since we use so much of it, the lanomax is more cost effective.
    Hope it helps. Ask your tooling rep. He should be able to give you something.

hi all,
    anybuddy from sydney ? i want to know that what is the job opportunity in NSW for cnc operator and progrramer ?
    i plan to migrate to sydney.

mayur

Hi fellow Ozi's hehe
    I had this in the Bridgeport section with no luck, so I thought I'd try here......

Hi,
    I have an Interact 1 Mk2 with a 155 controller that is in pretty good shape.

I was hoping to find someone in the Sydney area that I can pay an hourly rate to come round and give me the rundown on its operation and most importantly, save its parameters.....

It still has all its memory intact as far as I can work out, and the Memory batteries have been replaced and all is good.

I figure to sit and listen to someone with experience is better than me re-inventing the wheel so to speak.....
    There is no real hurry, and I'm sure if someone out there is keen to pick up a few extra bucks, we can make it work for both of us.....
    Just looking at basic operations at the moment.

If you are keen Email me at [email protected]

cheers
    John

hey guys, i'm a new member from brisbane, i have a couple of okuma mc's if anyone wants a chat, feel free!

hi everyone this is my first post (i cant find an introduction forum) im 16, live in Brisbane and have a huge interest in machining. right now im looking for some help, i want to do an apprenticeship as a fitter/turner and latter i want to become a toolmaker, a man offered me job to do a "cert 2 in engineering and manufacture" (i think that was what it was) im not to keen on the guy so anyone who can give me some pointers as to a good job or study that would be great or if anyone wants or knows someone who wants an in school apprentice in the Brisbane/Ipswich area then please PM me (im going to post this on the "apprentice and mentor locater forum latter)

this is a great site and i think ill be asking lots of questions latter

oh and if there is a introduction forum on here can someone show me

Hi folks,

I'm in Brisbane, and am just about to take over an engraving business (hopefully next week!). I'm very interested in expanding out to CNC routing, and using the business's engraving machines for more general work - art and engineering, ideally.

I don't own a CNC machine yet, but currently I'm looking into importing a ShopBotBuddy, or building a MechMate.

Darryl.

Hi Darryl, I am from Brisbane (north side). I am about to build another router myself.
    If you need any help let PM me.
    WJF
    The More I Learn The Less I Seem To Know

Hi Guys
    my name is John, I am on the Gold Coast, Santa Barbara actually. I have a taig cnc mill , I have had iit for about 5 yrs now and am running Supercam on it . I make parts for paintball markers mainly triggers out of Carbon Fibre and aluminium 99% of this is exported to the US .
    If there is anyone near me please contact me, would like to know of anyone near

thanx john

Quote Originally Posted by acidcustom View Post
    If there is anyone near me please contact me, would like to know of anyone near

thanx john
    Heh, I was near about two weeks ago, drove the family down (from Cairns) to do the theme park thing for a week, maybe next time

Russell.

G'day all,

Dave here from Hobart - Tasmania. I'm new here on CNCzone. I have a small CNC machining workshop just south of Hobart and have a Haas VF5 CNC machining centre. I'm currently thinking about expanding into some routing and moulding work and am considering either building or buying a small router. I have been reading through the forums with interest. Great to see so many Aussie's here. Even a few of us fellow "Two headed Tasmanian's"

Steel Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by squiz81 View Post
    230M07 is just a free machining mild steel. S1214 is readily available.

Hi
    The World's Leading 3D Structural Steel Detailing System.StruCad puts a unique array of powerful modelling and detailing. I browsed a site, its about the steel detailing. So if your are interested you may land

http://www.acecadsoftware.com/steel_detailing:)

Talking

Just found this part of the forums!

hi all, my name's david, live in south of sydney, and have built 2 routers. Biggest has a working area of about 1m^2 which now resides in the garage workshop.

Primary interest is r/c models and am in the (long) process of designing & building a 2m wingspan composite molded glider.

Otherwise, it's used for for cutting almost everything except bread

cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc1.jpg   plugtop1.jpg   bottomready.jpg   mold2.jpg  

exploded2.jpg   nosepod_rev_B.jpg   mynxwing2.jpg  

im carson,

living in kensington, only been in sydney for a year, don't have a CNC but have steppers and electronics from HobbyCNC all working :P

(they've been working for a year now :P lol)

Still have to acquire a CNC frame. I have no access to tools except for a drill press

So it looks like i'll be buying a Mini CNC from Widgitmaster (or a Midi)

OzDragonFlyer - your machine looks sweet! How did you build it?

Hi
    I am in Macleod and have an older cnc lathe which i will convert to mach 3. I am new at this and it would be good to exchange ideas and a viewing of each others workshop. Let me know if you would like to have a look at my set up.
    Thanks
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by carsonau View Post
    im carson,

living in kensington, only been in sydney for a year, don't have a CNC but have steppers and electronics from HobbyCNC all working :P

(they've been working for a year now :P lol)

Still have to acquire a CNC frame. I have no access to tools except for a drill press

So it looks like i'll be buying a Mini CNC from Widgitmaster (or a Midi)

OzDragonFlyer - your machine looks sweet! How did you build it?
    Hi carson,

Many lunchtimes in the workshop using a mill and lathe

How much is the widget machine? They look very nice!

dave

Hi folks,

I've been lurking, on and off for the last two years. Currently living in Gymea (Sydney). Still don't have my head straight on some of the various issues involved with hobby CNC (to paraphrase Dorothy; "Linear slides & TPI & Backlash, Oh My!") so I'm thankful for the existence of this forum, the wider CNC internet community and especially Google :-)

My immediate interests for CNC is reproducable foam male plug for molds, RC aircraft and assorted wood projects. My bride's interest is in reproducable carvings from AAC/Hebel and marquetry.

Given the size requirements and my learning curve, I've decided upon 'Joe's 2006'. I've de-lurked now as I've just completed one of my various projects and I've decided that 2009 is year to build this. It would also help me with some of those other projects on the list ;-)

Can someone please tell me the status of the 'Joe's 2006' DXF update for Australian materials. Or was 'Me2's (Cam's) comment in thread #66983 fairly representative? Big ta!

Still deciding upon a CAD program to learn. Without starting a religeous war, is there a local preference, especially with local support issues?

Also, a mate of mine mentioned that kitchen cabinet makers usually use CNC for their output and that I might be able to find one willing to cut the MDF & HDPE parts. Can anyone back this up and do they know a company in this part of the world that has done that for them? Have Bride; Beginning to have to outsource my Life ;-)

Regards,
    ScottZ

Page 14 of 20 41213141516