587,517 active members*
3,406 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

v block clamping

Really basic question about clamping with v blocks. Basically ordered some v blocks and the clamps are huge. Find myself having to clamp on the far ends of the blocks because of clearance. I was borrowing blocks and they had really nice little clamps and could clamp on the inside of the blocks close to the cut. I wanted to get those blocks but were some very expensive starrett blocks. I'm poor, so ended up getting some generic brand. Good enough for the stuff I do.

So the way I look at it is doesn't matter where the clamps are. Just as long as the rod is supported as close to the cut as possible. But double checking. Thanks.

I find it fast and simple to use the V block with a vise. The combination can save you quite a bit of time from using clamps.
    "Plan your work; Work your plan"

How do you use them with a vise? Just put a v block on the table, stick half the part in the vise, and let the other half rest on the v block?

Was never showed how to use one, or taught anything. But saw a picture in a book of them sticking out of the top of the vise. So just been putting them on parallels.

Take this as lesson learned if your gonna bother learning the trade,dont buy junk.Theres a reason the good stuff costs money other than your paying for the "Starrett" name. Companys like brown and sharpe make stuff like v-blocks that are very good for reasonable prices,dont be afraid too look around.

I actually took them back that day and got the brown and sharpe 749 vee block set. Was only $20 more, and better sized for the smaller work I do. Starrett is very expensive though. I have nothing starrett. Mainly mitutoyo, some brown and sharpe, and a couple of spi things. All my measuring stuff is mitutoyo. Not that expensive, and they seem pretty good quality.

I would still love to know how you can skip the clamps when machining the center of a rod? When doing the end of a rod can turn the block horizontal to make sure the rod sticking out of the vise is perfectly level. The rod pressed against the solid jaw. I guess as long as you are machining very close to the v block, doing the center of the rod would be ok too.

I always get yelled at by the old timer for using v blocks anyway. Blah blah blah, not for production. Takes too long, these don't have to be perfect, blah blah blah.

theres tons of ways other than vblocks too mill round parts. you can use soft jaws,you can space out parallels,the only limit too most setups is your imagination.yeah Mits are pretty good,althou I keep hearing their newer stuff isnt quite as it used too be.I own alot of mit mics,and brown and sharp items.I only have one starrett item,and its a blade style depth mic,they were the only ones that made one when I purchased it.SPI stuff isnt all that bad either. Just remember your tools will be an investment,so buy the best you can because when you take care of them they will last a longtime. I was lucky when I began in the machining trade 11 years ago,my shop would buy tools we wanted and allow us too make payments via our paychecks. anytime I borrowed someones tool more than 2-3 times I bought my own. my current shop has this also and even thou my roll away is packed too the gills I just dropped some cash on some new stuff,like pin gages and such because they are generally expensive but I finally got a really good deal on some.

I have a starrett edge finder, completely forgot.

Basically where I work, the company doesn't really have anything for us. The quailty check people use a 12" digital fowler caliper for every single measurement. In fact, they don't even know how to use a vernier. There are only 2 people that have good things and went 2 weeks with borrowing tools daily. Half the time I couldn't even get the tool I needed because they flat out didn't want to loan it to me. Just said screw it and got a decent setup for just over $1500. So yeah, I hope this stuff lasts for a while. But sure is nice to have everything of your own.

Quote Originally Posted by MFassler View Post
    ....,my shop would buy tools we wanted and allow us too make payments via our paychecks.....
    This is an interesting idea as I'm sure the company had a much higher buying power then you can get. But I would wonder about the liability, what if a guy asked for a few thousand in tools then bugerd off.

I have few tools to my name but what I have I try and get the good stuff.
    V Blocks have always interested me, I like soft jaws. But want to know a good way to use V blocks I see them being handy for one offs where you don't have soft jaws made.
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Quick and easy method:

Put soft jaws on the vise. Mill 45 deg angle in the face of the fixed jaw with a dovetail cutter. You now have a vee that is parallel to the machine and a quick and secure way to hold your shaft.

So am I right to sense that from this whole post is that V Blocks are just not the way to go
    I'm not lazy..., I'm efficient!
    HAAS GR-408

Quote Originally Posted by ctate2000 View Post
    Quick and easy method:

Put soft jaws on the vise. Mill 45 deg angle in the face of the fixed jaw with a dovetail cutter. You now have a vee that is parallel to the machine and a quick and secure way to hold your shaft.

milling the 45 is the method ive use many times or if the shaft was a standard size ive taken the softjaw and milled it with a ballnose

v-blocks are a handy thing to have and they definitely have their place but their not a practical choice for production work , i think ive used them more for measuring than anything , great tool to accompany a height gage
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

It is preference more so than anything. If you ask 100 Tool Makers how to make something you will get 100 different answers. All will be certin their way is best. I would suggest you use the method which gives results which are desirable to you. Hang the other methods.