587,485 active members*
3,580 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question plasma cutting? anyone using it?

wire cutting is fine. but any users of plasma? I need advice on a plasma cutter purchase. help.

Rmacguiver,
    Welcome to the forum. I'm not doing plasma cutting myself but i know a guy that does. Fire away with all your queries/ questions and i'll get him to answer them one by one.

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

thanks for qk reply.
    what size(strength)of plasma cutter should i purchase for cutting 1/2 " mild steel at a decent feed rate? and is a machine torch absolutely ness. for intermediate volume cutting (just starting own buisness- reaserch FIRST!)
    "If you dont go there,you will never know there......Thus starts the voyage of discovery." a redneckmacguiverism c(;{

Cool

I'll ask him to take a look and get him to join the Zone. I think it's best to look at your problem from both sides.
    The one being as low cost as possible the other maybe a bit more expensive but if volumes gets a problem to upgrade your equipment for less.

See you...

Klox
    *** KloX ***
    I'm lazy, I'm only "sparking" when the EDM is running....

I would suggest that you look at the hypertherm max 100. It is capable of automated cutting of 5/8". It cuts 1/2 at about 35-40 ipm depending if you use a sheild.
    D. Paulson

Plasma

I'll get one of the guys at work to get on the board,
    we got both plasma and laser.

rmacquiver,
    I have a Hypertherm 1650 plasma on my machine. I would recommend this machine over any.
    I have cut 1" thk. s/s disks with very slight bevel! 1/2" mild steel, this machine will really move and the bevel is amazingly small. Hypertherm also makes a kit for this machine called 'Fine Cut'. It allows you to cut 10ga down to 26 ga material essentually like a laser. Consumable life is excellent. You can't go wrong with the 1650.

If you buy a machine torch compatible Hypotherm, you can get the machine torch instead of the hand torch without it costing very much.
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I agree with rmacuiver, best machine going is the Hypertherm. I am useing a 900 right and want to move up in size but it requires a new machine torch and I just can't justify it at this time. If I were to buy a new one it would be a 1650. I do cut 1/2" on a regular basis but it is streching the limits of the power source. As a side comment, if you are building a new plasma table ,look at useing servo's with encoders as opposed to steppers, in the big picture they are far better. One reason I am not buying a new 1650 right now is the cost of changing from steppers to servo's
    never set a pace that you can't maintain
    Traveler

I am strickly a 'hobbyist' but I have owned two PC's now- I equate this to air compressors; get the largest capacity that you can afford that will do 80% of what you want to do. Now I had originally started cutting up a car restoration project with the PC and the 20 amp unit with 110v (Pro Cut 20) but after I finished the car, my interest with the PC changed, but I did not want to sell it to recover some of my costs. I ended up in the metal art business, and later bought a CNC table. What I found later was that work that I was get required thicker material than my unit could handle. I ended up with a 40 amp unit 220v/50amp with a dedicated outlet (fortunately when constructing the garage I wired for an kitchen oven for my powder coating kit) I spent $1600 for the new unit w/ 3 yr warranty.
    cheers,
    Frank

I own a ShopBot CNC plasma cutter with a Hypertherm 1250 on it. The 1650 wasn't offered at the time. I'd love to have the 1650, but I don't really need it. They say the 1250 will cut 3/4" steel on the machine and sever 7/8". WIth the hand torch (since you can angle it back) I believe that you can sever up to 1-1/8" thick.

Most of the stuff I do is between 14ga to 1/2". Hypertherm is by far the best machine out there. If you get your arc voltage right, bevel is nearly non-existent.

A machine torch is a necessary evil in my opinion. I know PlasmaCam uses a hand torch on their machine. The main issue is if you can get non-shielded consumables for your hand torch. If you can (since torch should NOT drag on plate in CNC mode), then set the torch to hover about .25" and you might be OK. The deeper nose on the drag/shielded consumables will put the torch too high if not dragging...and may arc against shield, killing your nozzle.

-Brady

Quote Originally Posted by traveler
    I agree with rmacuiver, best machine going is the Hypertherm. I am useing a 900 right and want to move up in size but it requires a new machine torch and I just can't justify it at this time. If I were to buy a new one it would be a 1650. I do cut 1/2" on a regular basis but it is streching the limits of the power source. As a side comment, if you are building a new plasma table ,look at useing servo's with encoders as opposed to steppers, in the big picture they are far better. One reason I am not buying a new 1650 right now is the cost of changing from steppers to servo's
    That was a very interesting post.

Could you recommend a peak / continuous servo torque rating? Are you using lead screws, ball screws, belts or chains? What kind of guide ways are you using? Also, what kind of acceloration and maximum feed rates are you looking for?

I'm sorry about all the questions! Just hoping to gain from experience!