587,853 active members*
3,551 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > cheap and nice flood coolent for benchtop mills

cheap and nice flood coolent for benchtop mills

i was wanting to use flood after some poor alu finishes in deeper cuts, so i looked at a few threads of people making 80/20 inclosed and huge wood tabels etc with sink drains and plastic tupware etc..... i decided to use a harbor freight 20 gal parts washer and it came with a standtoo,lol i just removed to lid and bought a 4by8 sheet of coroplast for 8 bucks(plasic carboard used for sines).. i drew out a box and cut it out and hot glued to together added a 2 doller sheet of plexy and bam..... done water and acid tight and will last forever,lol ....i could of even used the pump and jet from the part washer , but didnt want standing water in the tank so i just threaded a barb end in the drain and feed it to the bucket and relocated the pump

parts washer=68$
    4x8 sheet plastic=8$
    plexy window =2$
    bucket=5$
    misc hoses etc=15$
    totle less then a hundred and now it even looks like the big boys,lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9477.jpg   IMG_9480.jpg   IMG_9474.jpg  

Wow, great job! Looks very neat and tidy (and pro with the keyboard and screen setup). It should keep you dry and help keep things quiet.

That looks great.
    I too used a HF parts washer, but used the smaller 3.5 gallon one.
    I added a rubber fuel line and a heater hose for a drain in my pan. Couple of cast iron and brass fittings and it was good to go.
    I used the complete rig, just moved the nozzle up top. I think it sprays a perfect amount of coolant. I have to add coolant (water and a little Koolmist 77) about two to three times a week. Hot down here. They work great.

I found a very nice filter solution as well. Just a wash cloth laid out under the drain. It catches most all the metal bits. I have cleaned the tank out once so far. The pump is designed for extreme parts cleaning duty, so little bits don't even bother it. So far at least. I consider this a HF Gem. There are several items I have bought there that work better than expected.
    Lee

That's excellent, great job. I need to find some of that plastic cardboard as I'd like to make a surround for mine that I can remove fairly easily. I don't run coolant but I do make a heck of a mess at times -

Thanks for sharing- :cheers:

Dave
    Dave->..

I just used a good pond chemical pump it works great and I have a total of 125.00 in the entire unit tank,pump and all the lines. It works great.

Hey, nice work! Just be sure and keep the ways and leadscrews lubed. Depending on your setup, the flood can wash it away faster than you'd like.

Dave

thanks for the tip

i was worred about the water and the mill its self id hate to rust the ways or screaws ,etc i have cool mist 78 and figered it spray down the ways and leads with wd40 after each use to stop corosion?? any sujestions

Chris,
    The WD40 is good for Water Displacement which is what the "WD" stands for, but it will evaporate and leave your surfaces dry and void of oil. I would be careful not to spray your lead screws with it. If you spray your ways, make sure you reoil them with what ever oil that you use and run your table back and forth.

I use WD 40 to clean my table and ways after use, but I always relube right after.

Nice flood coolant system!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing,

Ron

I do get some coolant on my ways and screws, though I try not to. I think most gets in there when I am blowing things around with air. I use Koolmist 77 and it keeps everything it touches from rusting. It does stain a little, but not too bad. I have never cleaned all the chips out of my tray, but there is no rust in it. A little of this on your ways whether intentional or accidentally won't harm your parts and may prevent rusting.
    Lee

Nice set-up! Really like.

Check mine out for any ideas I like yours, good stuff.

-Jason

The issue isn't rust (though that can happen) - it's wear. Coolant isn't lube. Depending on the coolant, the oil you use, and the circumstances, flood cooling will happily wash your lube oil away and leave you putting much more wear on the screws and ways. If your system doesn't remove the fine, fine chips, you could be making lapping compound in there.

Some way oils are better at staying put than others.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    That's excellent, great job. I need to find some of that plastic cardboard as I'd like to make a surround for mine that I can remove fairly easily. I don't run coolant but I do make a heck of a mess at times -

Thanks for sharing- :cheers:

Dave
    Well now is the time with all the political signs up for election year. Get them while there hot lol. I use them for portable target holders when I shoot they are great for that, more useful than any of the politicians themselves to be sure.

As for WD40, do not use it as a rust protection coating it will bring on the rust. Use a Teflon based lube for protection, I like Tri-Flow and Super Lube myself.

Bo

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw765 View Post
    parts washer=68$
    Outstanding design!

But do you have the Harbor Freight number for that parts washer?
    The only ones I found were over $100.

tom

ITEM 96952-1VGA

$39.95

Quote Originally Posted by PoolQ View Post
    ITEM 96952-1VGA

$39.95
    That's only 3.5 gal.

I quoted chrisw765's version; a 20 gallon washer.

tom

That one is similar to the one I bought. Mine is steel though. That one is plastic. It probably has the same pump though.

I think I paid $49.99 for mine. They had the larger ones there as well, but they were all over $100.

The bigger tank will hold more of course and require less filling. It gets hot in my shop and I have to add a gallon of water maybe 3 times a week. My shop has an AC, but just keeps it down under 80 unless I'm right in front of it. I am working on fixing that though. Eventually. One day. Maybe.
    Lee

mine is all steel ill see if i can find the part number its the 20 gal parts washer it was on sell habor freight puts it on sell almost every ad im not sure the reg price probly around a hundred bucks or so but just hold our for the sale if funds are short