587,096 active members*
6,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > At a complete loss with software!

At a complete loss with software!

I have so many questions!! Sorry if anyones head explodes!

I am a CNC Hobbyist and have started making a CNC machine, altho I have a couple of alternatives lined up if I fail. One thing that baffles me is the software. I have Adobe Illustrator as I do vinyl graphics and this has a dxf file export function. I want to do 3D cutting, some nice childrens cartoon characters for doors etc... Now what is the best way to do this? I am a student so can get Rhino3D cheap and have read some good reviews, unfortunately RhinoCAM is too much but I've read again that you can use cut3D. Can you import an already drawn picture and then create a 3D effect for cutting? As I have tonnes of pictures in vector format I use for the vinyl cutter.

How do you set up layers for the machine to cut correctly? I've played with lazycam and mach3, the simulation part but I cant see how you would do it. Is it an automated process when you have created your 3D image? and how do you tell the machine where your piece of work starts and how deep the wood you are using is?

The software bit is stopping me really from wanting to build the machine as I have no idea! I cant afford the massive software packages but have enough for the student version of Rhino and cut3d so any variation on software would be good aswell.

Many many thanks!!

Most 3D cutting will require you to create a 3D model. You'll need to become proficient with Rhino to create these models. You're vector images will really be no use for 3D work.
    There is software available to create 3D effects from raster images. LazyCAM can do this, but you don't have much control over the process. MeshCAM Art gives you more control, but it's $500.
    http://www.meshcam.com/art.php

As far as depth of cut goes, programs like Cut3D and MeshCAM will let you choose a maximum depth per pass, as well as a final depth. But basically they cut to the surface of a 3D model. Even when cutting an image in MeshCAM Art, as it creates a model from the image and then cuts the model.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If I was going to be doing art type engraving, I think I'd look at V-carve. I've seen some really good outputs, much better than you would get from monkeying around for hours and days with dxf files and hand building a program.

I'd go and pick bottles for recycle or something, until I could afford the $$ In this day and time, if you can't do the work fast enough to keep the time cost down, you won't get much work, or you won't feel like doing it for pennies/hour return. So you need to spend a few dollars on software because that is essential to success.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for that, i'm going to investigate Mesh Cam Art. What would would be best for 2D images that you would just want cut out? For example...

I have this image saved as a dxf file and have imported to lazycam, but lazy cam produces what can only be described as a deformed alien! Obviously I would like the curves etc.. all preserved so it still looks like an outline of a man!

You need a raster to vector converter, to convert that to vectors before bringing it into LazyCAM. Check out WinTopo, it's cheap, ir maybe free.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You need a raster to vector converter, to convert that to vectors before bringing it into LazyCAM. Check out WinTopo, it's cheap, ir maybe free.
    I have converted it to a vector already but its not the same when in lazycam. I have managed to do it in a trial of vcarve so I think I will purchase that, as I have managed to work out most of the program within a mornings trials and errors! The only thing im not sure about at the moment is how you tell the software the position of the milling piece and how far up it is from the wood, will probably become apparent once I have made the CNC Router

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJHolmes View Post
    Thanks for that, i'm going to investigate Mesh Cam Art. What would would be best for 2D images that you would just want cut out? For example...

I have this image saved as a dxf file and have imported to lazycam, but lazy cam produces what can only be described as a deformed alien! Obviously I would like the curves etc.. all preserved so it still looks like an outline of a man!
    as I understand it a lot of the guys are using sheetcam....
    archie =) =) =)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJHolmes View Post
    I have so many questions!! Sorry if anyones head explodes!

I am a CNC Hobbyist and have started making a CNC machine, altho I have a couple of alternatives lined up if I fail. One thing that baffles me is the software. I have Adobe Illustrator as I do vinyl graphics and this has a dxf file export function. I want to do 3D cutting, some nice childrens cartoon characters for doors etc... Now what is the best way to do this? I am a student so can get Rhino3D cheap and have read some good reviews, unfortunately RhinoCAM is too much but I've read again that you can use cut3D. Can you import an already drawn picture and then create a 3D effect for cutting? As I have tonnes of pictures in vector format I use for the vinyl cutter.

How do you set up layers for the machine to cut correctly? I've played with lazycam and mach3, the simulation part but I cant see how you would do it. Is it an automated process when you have created your 3D image? and how do you tell the machine where your piece of work starts and how deep the wood you are using is?

The software bit is stopping me really from wanting to build the machine as I have no idea! I cant afford the massive software packages but have enough for the student version of Rhino and cut3d so any variation on software would be good aswell.

Many many thanks!!
    I saw v carve at the mach3 conference southeast this spring and was totally impressed with the results.

archie =) =) =)

Downloaded a trial of vcarve and I am well impressed! So easy to use!! I've not exported to mach yet as there is no point my machine is still in the making but diffenately on the purchase list!!