587,092 active members*
2,841 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Employment Opportunity / RFQ (Request for Quote). > Employment Opportunity > RFQ 400 Easy manual or CNC lathe parts out of 304SS
Page 1 of 2 12
    KyleH2 Guest

RFQ 400 Easy manual or CNC lathe parts out of 304SS

Someone on the forum suggested that American machinists could machine circles around the Chinese and therefore could produce parts cheaper. I have my doubts. I am a 19 year old who sells on eBay and the internet. I am in school for mechanical engineering and use my business to put myself through college for Mechanical Engineering. I have gone to tech school and have my OCP A-D (fully certified) in machining.

I need someone to make what is pictured below. Its a simple part that could be made quickly on either a CNC or manual lathe. Material is 304 SS, tolerances are a pretty loose +/- .01. Finish is not particularly important but needs to be machined on all surfaces. The taper you see is a 60* taper so using a triangle inset on a manual and a part off tool will allow you to make these quick. They taper needs to meet the straight part with little or no radius so no HUGE radius inserts. I need 200 of them. I can make a DXF/Solidpart file in solidworks if need be but this seems like a simple enough program.

I will also need this same part made, but scaled down such that the ID would be 2.5" and the OD 3.1" or so.

The price to match/beat is 5.11 each to my door. (I can get shipping fairly cheaply though DHL and free shipping supplies if you need them to save on cost.) I will order 200 of each at a time (400 total) and maybe place this order every 3-4 months or so.

EDIT: The taper I mentioned is a 60* taper on the OD. Also the dimensions may change very slightly but nothing that should cause you to need to purchase different material.

EDIT 2: It might also be helpful to know that the material doesn't have to be 304. This is a weld on part so as long as it uses your normal 308 rod and can be welded to 304 pipe then thats fine. Must be SS though no mild steel. (Although I may order some in the future in MS and aluminum)

I did not see any specification of where the taper should be along the length of the part. From the sketch, it looks like the small OD is longer than the large OD.

KyleH2 Guest
    It is

Not the best picture but thats how it works.

Although this part seems trivial, there is actually alot involved with it. cutting it like you said requires you to find tubing or waterjetting some blanks. i am getting some flanges like this done, in the not so distant future but 5.11 to your door is really cheap.

My material cost is twice that (and I buy a fair bit of SS).
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

KyleH2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd View Post
    5.11 to your door is really cheap.
    I agree. Doesn't hurt to ask I suppose.

Material cost for me using the smallest tubing possible would be $10.20 each,
    pretty sure a huge operation that gets bulk price even on lower quantities might
    cut that in half. Chinese companies can get bulk prices on materials as their
    government assists in purchases. The only edge we have is on smaller dollar
    jobs (less than $1,000) as the export duties from China are a high percentage
    on low dollar items.

Buying on price alone gains you one shippment. Then the supplier realizes he's been taken advantage of and you get to find another fool to do it that cheap.
    Sucessful buisness are built on relationships. Not the lowest price
    Good luck with your search.

KyleH2 Guest
    I have had a quite successful relationship with my overseas suppliers who also have the lowest price. I just has to see this "machine circles around blah blah blah" for myself.

When I was 19 I knew everything too.

[QUOTE=KyleH2;460309]Someone on the forum suggested that American machinists could machine circles around the Chinese and therefore could produce parts cheaper. I have my doubts. I am a 19 year old who sells on eBay and the internet. I am in school for mechanical engineering and use my business to put myself through college for Mechanical Engineering. I have gone to tech school and have my OCP A-D (fully certified) in machining.

With your education I would think that you already had the answer before you posted. That part you have looks like it is produced for other people and not exclusively for you, meaning your supplier probably makes more than just your 400 order. Even if that's not the case, no American job shops and many other types of companies can not compete with China for price. I would interpret that first statement as meaning quality not just price.

It's funny that that I can't compete, yet I ship parts all over the world. Not simple little parts. Very complex parts out of very difficult to machine materials.
    Odd, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    It's funny that that I can't compete, yet I ship parts all over the world. Not simple little parts. Very complex parts out of very difficult to machine materials.
    Odd, huh?
    PBMW I'm sure you can't beat the Chinese in price but you can provide something they can't....quality machine work with quality metals....neither of which they Chinese have.

You Sir, hit the nail on the head....

Quote Originally Posted by KyleH2 View Post
    Someone on the forum suggested that American machinists could machine circles around the Chinese and therefore could produce parts cheaper. I have my doubts. I am a 19 year old who sells on eBay and the internet. I am in school for mechanical engineering and use my business to put myself through college for Mechanical Engineering. I have gone to tech school and have my OCP A-D (fully certified) in machining.

I need someone to make what is pictured below. Its a simple part that could be made quickly on either a CNC or manual lathe. Material is 304 SS, tolerances are a pretty loose +/- .01. Finish is not particularly important but needs to be machined on all surfaces. The taper you see is a 60* taper so using a triangle inset on a manual and a part off tool will allow you to make these quick. They taper needs to meet the straight part with little or no radius so no HUGE radius inserts. I need 200 of them. I can make a DXF/Solidpart file in solidworks if need be but this seems like a simple enough program.

I will also need this same part made, but scaled down such that the ID would be 2.5" and the OD 3.1" or so.

The price to match/beat is 5.11 each to my door. (I can get shipping fairly cheaply though DHL and free shipping supplies if you need them to save on cost.) I will order 200 of each at a time (400 total) and maybe place this order every 3-4 months or so.

EDIT: The taper I mentioned is a 60* taper on the OD. Also the dimensions may change very slightly but nothing that should cause you to need to purchase different material.

EDIT 2: It might also be helpful to know that the material doesn't have to be 304. This is a weld on part so as long as it uses your normal 308 rod and can be welded to 304 pipe then thats fine. Must be SS though no mild steel. (Although I may order some in the future in MS and aluminum)

Kyle you sound like a bit of a smart ass punk to me, I say take your 19 year old ass to China and let them do it. BUT it wont be right, It will be cheap though. And I have worked with the Cineeeeze and let me tell you I aint worried in the least about them getting into the car biz. There quality sucks we have have to continually tell them how to keep there **** running. I personally do not help them at all but I will tell you this. If it wernt for the small number of American Engineers that are selling us out her in America. The Chineeeeese could not make ****

Just my opinion, Bluesman

KyleH2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
    Kyle you sound like a bit of a smart ass punk to me, I say take your 19 year old ass to China and let them do it. BUT it wont be right, It will be cheap though. And I have worked with the Cineeeeze and let me tell you I aint worried in the least about them getting into the car biz. There quality sucks we have have to continually tell them how to keep there **** running. I personally do not help them at all but I will tell you this. If it wernt for the small number of American Engineers that are selling us out her in America. The Chineeeeese could not make ****

Just my opinion, Bluesman
    I rolled my eyes so hard one of them got stuck. Thanks a lot *******. :wee:

I work in a plastic injection molding company, we have been buying molds from china for more than 8 yrs now i think. The quality of the early molds was very poor, the steel was junk, and we had to do lots of repairs. Today we get some of the best quality molds built in the world from Asia, I don't like to admit it but I am bothered by it. They build the molds for about 1/2 of what we quote a new mold, in some cases for less than we can buy the hot manifold systems alone. It is something to be afraid of, they will have 100% of heavy manufacturing in the world if something doesn't change. The real question is why can a person working on an assembly line without a formal degree here at Ford or GM make a salary close to 6 digits?

I work in a plastic injection molding company, we have been buying molds from china for more than 8 yrs now i think. The quality of the early molds was very poor, the steel was junk, and we had to do lots of repairs. Today we get some of the best quality molds built in the world from Asia, I don't like to admit it but I am bothered by it. They build the molds for about 1/2 of what we quote a new mold, in some cases for less than we can buy the hot manifold systems alone. It is something to be afraid of, they will have 100% of heavy manufacturing in the world if something doesn't change. The real question is why can a person working on an assembly line without a formal degree here at Ford or GM make a salary close to 6 digits?

Rather than attacking the few that make high wages in the automotive shops, ask the the real question: Why are we competing in the 100 yard dash with tennis shoes and China gets a race car? We are so tighed down with regulations that cause high prices, then expected to compete with those with none. If we're going to trade with a country fine, make the playing field the same. I have my own company and I can't buy material for what china can produce finished products shipped for. Forget about wages you could have a slave and you can't compete. That is a big problem!

KyleH2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    That is a big problem!
    This is worthy of a whole other thread, and if you'd like to start it I'd love to discuss it, but the only comment I have is: A big problem for who? Your company? Oh yea. Retailers? No. Consumers? No. Like I said definitely worthy of another thread. This thread is for telling me what a little ******* I am. :tired:

Quote Originally Posted by KyleH2 View Post
    This is worthy of a whole other thread, and if you'd like to start it I'd love to discuss it, but the only comment I have is: A big problem for who? Your company? Oh yea. Retailers? No. Consumers? No. Like I said definitely worthy of another thread. This thread is for telling me what a little ******* I am. :tired:
    Kyle,

Do a little research and let me know what your Chinese worker earns each hour and what the Communist Republic of China does with the money you are paying them.

Page 1 of 2 12