587,481 active members*
3,110 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Some info on collets for mini-mill

Some info on collets for mini-mill

G'day,

I am pretty new to this, but have just purchased an X2 Mini Milling machine and need some help with regards to the collets.

It has an MT3 spindle, however, I don't fully understand the benefits and subtle differences between the different ranges of collets (ER16, ER20, ER25 etc etc). I assume this is to do with the over-all sizing of the set, but why should I choose any particular size over another?

I don't really expect any of my mills to exceed 10mm diameter, with the smallest being probably 2mm diameter, therefore from various charts I have seen ER16 would do...am I right, or am I really missing something, some other reason another size would be better?

Any help greatly appreciated with this...or even if any one knows of another thread where a good run-down on colelts is given, feel free to point me in the right direction (I have done a few searches but found nothing).

Thanks.

Colin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mm1.jpg  

Hi Chola,
    The ER range is to do with sizing otherwise they are identical in operation.
    I would go with the ER20 set for the X2 as this gives you up to 13mm which is the rated capacity for this machine.
    Ebay have ER collets from Hong Kong really cheap at the moment and I have been using their sets and found them to be great.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Hi Rod,

Thanks for that...I spotted a few on Ebay ..... very well priced compared to the 'over the counter' offerings at the local shops!

I will look for an ER20 set...

Thanks again, much appreciated.

COlin

I have been using 180 DA collets for many years on my lathe as work holders up to 3/4 inch, with a MT 3 collet chuck in the center bore of my 8" rotary table, and as tool holders on both my Enco mill drill and finally on my X2.

Although lots of folks say DA collets are best suited for drilling, I use them for every possible machining function and they work great. The sizes range from 3/64" to 3/4" and each collect can collapse 1/32" to hold smaller shanks. Techniks 180 DA collets sell for only $10 each. They are an option worth considering.

Bill