587,496 active members*
3,285 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

TM1P question

Just got my new TM1p and was wondering if it is normal for the spindle to be a bit loud ( high pitch). I an fimiliar with the VFO and the tm1p is pretty loud compared to the vfo. also I bought the high flow coolant pump and it trips the breaker in the cabinet every time I turn on the coolant. Im wondering if I need to take out the factory fuse and replace it with the one that came with the pump? Any info much appreciated.

Since it is new, my suggestion would be to call the Haas service center and let them suggest a remedy.
    The noise is relative I guess to what you are expecting, on my TM-1 (same spindle) to me is not noisy at all but then I had no previous experience or comparison that may cause possible preconceptions.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by RB Precision View Post
    ..... also I bought the high flow coolant pump and it trips the breaker in the cabinet every time I turn on the coolant. Im wondering if I need to take out the factory fuse and replace it with the one that came with the pump? Any info much appreciated.
    I cannot help with the noise but this "factory fuse" caught my eye.

Is this a circuit breaker that plugs into the board in place of the original one?

What is the current rating on this one.

The reason I ask is that we bought a replacement high flow pump for one of our machines, and it constantly tripped the breaker. The motor is a different make than on all our other pumps and I suspected it was the motor was pulling a larger starting surge and that was tripping the breaker. We repaired the old pump for the machine and put it back in use....no more breaker tripping.

It seems maybe I am correct, it is the motor on the newer pumps, and now Haas supplies a higher rated breaker.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I will have to look at the fuse rating. The coolant pump came with a breaker, and there was also a breaker for the coolant pump already in the machine. Since the first option is a smaller pump and tank maybe I am supposed to change the breaker for the larger pump. Just didnt have time this morning had to keep the spindle turning, sure will be nice to have flood, it beats standing there with a spray bottle! Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea View Post
    Since it is new, my suggestion would be to call the Haas service center and let them suggest a remedy.
    The noise is relative I guess to what you are expecting, on my TM-1 (same spindle) to me is not noisy at all....
    Ken
    Have you boosted your speed to 6000rpm? The TM1-P is 6000 and that does make a difference.

Letting Haas sort it out on a new machine is the best idea but I do recall a thread on a similar topic and it was due to the motor being misaligned causing the belt to run against the side of the pulley.

Was selway the one that set up this machine?

I bought it from selway, but set it up myself...

I havent gone past 4500rpm. If I run @ 6K will it quiet down? does it need to break in?

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Have you boosted your speed to 6000rpm? The TM1-P is 6000 and that does make a difference.

Letting Haas sort it out on a new machine is the best idea but I do recall a thread on a similar topic and it was due to the motor being misaligned causing the belt to run against the side of the pulley.

Did you run your spindle break in program?

Quote Originally Posted by RB Precision View Post
    I havent gone past 4500rpm. If I run @ 6K will it quiet down? does it need to break in?
    Sorry, I was not clear...the question was addressed at Ken regarding his comment that his machine was quiet.

Regarding 'break-in': I think this is correct for your machine; you should find two programs on the machine; O02020 Warm Up and O02021 Run In.

The tech who set the machine up should have run the 'Run In' program which cycles the spindle speed up and down to distribute the lubricant, and avoid overheating which can occur if the spindle is taken to full speed after it has been stationary for a long time.

If your spindle gets cold overnight, or is not run for several days, then 'Warm Up' should be run, again to distribute the lubricant.

If the machine is not used for a couple of weeks then do 'Run In'.

Yes those pgms. are on there. I will do that when I get home. Thanks guys!

Hi Geof,
    To be fair, never said it was quiet
    Yes, boosted it to 6000 some months ago now, but still, even at the 6000rpm, while it is louder it does not seem to be in any pain and none of what I would call a high pitch squeel.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea View Post
    ..... and none of what I would call a high pitch squeel.

Ken
    But maybe you are like me; half deaf and missing all the high frequencies.

Geof,
    What'd you say

It gets the higher rated breaker for high flow pump. Change the breaker.

The belt can be too tight or too loose if it is making a lot of noise and if it is riding on the pulley's retainer ... what happens is that the air has no where to escape as it goes around the pulley except for the one side where the belt is not riding on the retainer .. this makes it louder than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by HAILINHAAS View Post
    It gets the higher rated breaker for high flow pump. Change the breaker.
    What is the rating of the higher rated breaker?

10 amp .. the smaller pump is 3 amp

Quote Originally Posted by HAILINHAAS View Post
    10 amp .. the smaller pump is 3 amp
    Thank you

It was a ten amp breaker that my replacement pump kept popping as I mentioned above. I did not want to put in anything higher because I wasn't sure the circuitry behind the scenes could handle more than ten. I guess the replacement pump is just going to sit on the shelf.

I would ask for another breaker or another pump. One of them is causing the problem .. you should not have to settle for using the smaller pump

Did you look at the breaker and make sure it says 10 amp .. sometimes they mix things up and send you the wrong stuff

Page 1 of 2 12