587,168 active members*
3,578 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Lightbulb plasma table with mobile water bed

hi evryone
    i plan building a plasma table for cutting 6 to 12 mm thik and 1.75/2.2 m steel plates.
    the mobile water bed table should help me loading and unloading the heavy plates whitout the risc of ruining my cnc table by :
    1. slide the water table from underneath the plasma table
    2. load the plate on the water bed (no risc of knocking the expensive machine)
    3. push the water bed back underneath the plasma.
    4. do the job
    beside this ,having that spare room i can fit an removable rotary axis to mill some foam or wood.
    i have purcesed the 20 amp 3 axis kit "logitrol" from www.lowcostcncretrofits.com ,
    and made the frame of 100/100 "V" profile 2.5 / 3.0 ml
    i have ordered drive belts/pinions for X axis , slideway with belt incorporated from isel for y axis and ballscrew 400 mm module from isel as well

no plans for this project just building it and planing as it goes

ANY CORECTIONS ARE WELCOME
    I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE ON CNC BUT THE STUFF I HAVE LEARNED FROM THIS WEBSITE ALONG 3 YEARS OF READING

Post a few pics as you go along, good Luck!

Nice idea if you have the space. good luck

Question

some pics in today
    what plasma system should i go for?
    did any one used "telwin" ?

pics with my work up to this time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5000840.jpg   S5000845.jpg   S5000848.jpg   S5000854.jpg  

S5000855.jpg  

Hypertherm.

John

Hypertherm.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

hi again
    i made some more work as you can see in the pics

got the gantry on and sliding wiht ease but if i hold one side fermly i can push the other side about 5 mm max . is this ok or is an major problem ?
    (i want to use only one side belt drive )

i'm expecting the z axis on monday and the guide way for y on wensday or so

I got a price for powermax 1650 hypertherm at 9800 $. that is the best price i found
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE CAN I FIND THIS SYSTEM FOR LESS MONEY ?

it sems to my that for 10 mm steel plate i need 100 A plasma to cut at
    60A/100% duty cycle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5000888.jpg   S5000890.jpg   S5000891.jpg   S5000892.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by cristian gabor View Post
    hi again
    i made some more work as you can see in the pics

got the gantry on and sliding wiht ease but in i hold one side fermly i can push the other side about 5 mm max . is this ok or is an major problem ?
    (i want to use only one side belt drive )
    I guessing you will see some flex during direction changes. It just depends on your product if that is ok or not. It would be simple enough to add a shaft to drive the opposite side...

John

Quote Originally Posted by cristian gabor View Post
    hi again
    I got a price for powermax 1650 hypertherm at 9800 $. that is the best price i found
    DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE CAN I FIND THIS SYSTEM FOR LESS MONEY ?

60A/100% duty cycle
    List price on that machine is only $4795. Shipping could get tricky though, but not $9800. Check Ebay.

hypertherm

I agree with John T. I'd add a jack shaft possibly through the center of your gantry tube. That way 1 stepper will drive both sides equally.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Unhappy movement problem

hi got some progress as you can see in the photos but i have ran in to a problem (see videos ) my axis move in steps (vibrating) the longer i go the harder it vibrates
    can anyone help ?
    i got hypertherm 1650 machine torch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5000919.jpg   S5000925.jpg   S5000926.jpg   S5000927.jpg  

S5000931.jpg  

Where is the video?

What type of move are you doing G0, G1, G2/3 jogging?

Are you thinking it is a mechanical problem or other?

Does move smoothly without the belts attached?

What software are you using?

Which axis is it or is it on all three axis?

John

hi got my machine mouving
    i'm hapy about this but is still jerkyng
    it seems that i can not load videos here
    any help is greatly apreciated
    the fault is in the soft somewhere and i soupose
    and the z servo screems all most of the time (i have no PID setings)(is a difrent type of servo then the other 2 ametec
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5000962.jpg   S5000963.jpg   S5000964.jpg  

I'm just a lurker and haven't built a table yet, however I've devoured every bit of information on this sire and others.

Is the direct drive setup an issue? How far does the X and Y axis move for one motor rotation? Most of the information on drive ratios suggest at least a 3 to 1 reduction prior to the rack and pinion or timing belt drive. Even greater gear reduction is recommended for servo drives because they don't lose power at higher speeds.

Looking at the Y drive it appears that you have say a 40 tooth pulley driving directly onto the fixed timing belt. If the timing belt has 5 millimetre tooth spacings then one motor revolution would transport the torch holder 200 millimetres.

This is way too high and may explain the jerky motion.

I intend to build a table with timing belt linear motion but will gear the servos down 3 to 1 and have a 20 tooth pulley driving the fixed linear belt. This means that one motor revolution will result in actual axis movement of 33.3 millimetres.

I like your setup and the general layout. Do you think there will be a problem pushing a tank full of water back and forth when you load and unload the water table?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Honey View Post
    I'm just a lurker and haven't built a table yet, however I've devoured every bit of information on this sire and others.

Is the direct drive setup an issue? How far does the X and Y axis move for one motor rotation? Most of the information on drive ratios suggest at least a 3 to 1 reduction prior to the rack and pinion or timing belt drive. Even greater gear reduction is recommended for servo drives because they don't lose power at higher speeds.

Looking at the Y drive it appears that you have say a 40 tooth pulley driving directly onto the fixed timing belt. If the timing belt has 5 millimetre tooth spacings then one motor revolution would transport the torch holder 200 millimetres.

This is way too high and may explain the jerky motion.

I intend to build a table with timing belt linear motion but will gear the servos down 3 to 1 and have a 20 tooth pulley driving the fixed linear belt. This means that one motor revolution will result in actual axis movement of 33.3 millimetres.

I like your setup and the general layout. Do you think there will be a problem pushing a tank full of water back and forth when you load and unload the water table?
    I used steppers on my plasma table and geared the motor 6-1 then used a 10 tooth .375 pitch belt so I get 500IPM at 800 RPM and stay well in the torque range of the stepper. I assume you would want even more reduction on a servo as the rpm of most servos is at least double if not triple a stepper.

John

Unhappy

hi
    sorry for not answering ,busy trying to keep up whit the plasma table and the regular day by day work
    "Is the direct drive setup an issue?"
    yes it is my axis are jerking and the belt has an elasticity that you can see whit the naked eye it may not by an issue if u wont have any jerking
    so i wont use them again for driving so long axes
    i have jerk even if i added a 3/1 reduction

Do you think there will be a problem pushing a tank full of water back and forth when you load and unload the water table?

it can be ,but this is the last thing I'm worried about
    now i have another 2 problems
    1 i have to buy another air compressor for hyphertherm
    2 my z axis is getting me crazy
    every time i run this code thrum Mach the z Axis remains about 2 mm higher
    so for 10 runs i will have the z approx 20 mm higher then at the beginning do Mach displays the same height. i attached the file maybe some one can look at it and tell me Watt the problem can be.
    thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S5000974.jpg   S5000976.jpg   S5000971.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well the jerk can be an acceleration setting... I don't know about mach but EMC you can configure this in the ini file.

John

I had some Z movement like that, the z made the movement for piercing in the DRO but the torch did not rise, then get down to cut getting close to the plate, at the next movement the torch got crash to the plate,. I told this to Scott (MACH) he told me to change the steps and dir wave. In the settings it says 1-5, he told me to start at 12 and rise it no more than 20. at 16 I got the best movement for all the axes.
    Give it a try
    Luis

Page 1 of 2 12