587,534 active members*
3,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SW Export to DXF

Hi all,

Newbie here, be gentle, please.

I did search this question already, what I found was about 2 years old and did not answer all my questions. So here goes:

Exporting to dxf. I read on the forum that it can be done, and I did, in the “drawing side” of SW. The question is will it still contain all the data for use in programs like Turnpro, Mastercam, etc.

I have a student version, and I am having some parts cut out on a water jet (Omax) running Omax software. Will the machinist be able to use the file for the tool path when you perform “save as” function in the “drawing” side of SW.

A simple yes, would be nice, but if you feel up to it, I love to learn, and would like to know if this would be then same export method for a 2.5 or grater axis part.

Thanks,
    PM

You should be able to open in almost any Cam program no problem.
    Most have a converter or save as a solid part or an iges, then open in your cam program.

Thanks for the feedback. I did get some answers in another thread.

To all, thanks agian. Please see the "DWG from a solid file" thread. It covers what I asked or needed.

PM

So here's another twist on this... I tried to save an SW document as a DXF (as described in the online help section) to run on a CNC lathe but DXF was not one of the file formats listed. I had to redraw the entire profile onsite in MillRite. How does one do this?

thanks!

Smile Here's one way.

From SW save as ACIS file(.sat), then import into AutoCAD, then explode the model. Make sure you save as ACIS version 6 from SW.
    Most CAM packages can open a .sat file.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

SW to DXF to ACAD follow up

Thanks for the response.

I converted the file to ACIS and tried to open it in ACAD and it looks like it is working but it doesn't show up in the drawing window. Ideas?

thanks

Don't open the file.

In ACAD don't open the file. That won't work.
    Start ACAD then IMPORT the .sat file, then do zoom all.

Bad file structure can cause ACAD to do nothing, crash, or work.
    The .sat file must be a valid 3D model.

Try and create a 3D cube in ACAD, export to cube.sat, load that int SW, and save it back as .sat file. ACAD should be able to import it. Once youv'e made it work once, good luck from then on... !
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

ACIS trials continue

I went through the steps for ACAD to SW to ACAD and the ACAD still doesn't show it. It sure shows up on the list though as an openable file. I zoomed all the way in and out and tried to select all to see if I could see it all to no avail. Keep those
    suggestions coming!

Question Solid in SW?

Did you get a 3D solid in SW?
    What version ACAD?
    What version SW?

SW-->DXF cont.

I'm using Solidworks 2006, AutoCad 2007, and yes, I made a fine rectangular solid in Solidworks to work with.

OK.

Can you get the solid into ACAD to manipulate the DXF? That was the target.