587,828 active members*
2,819 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 4 1234
    Hi,
    I got a responce but you actually have to comit for an answer by the looks of it. I've emailed heaps of times, but you get a response if you bid.
    The feed backs reflect this too.

Bones

Hiya Guy's,
    Silly me put my first post about me in the about Oz forum not here so I won't repeat what I said in there. I'm starting on my first cnc just a little one 420x420x300 mm. Mainly for a learning curve and pcb router. I've got some 50 year old but like new draw slides rated for 150kg's and after cleaning them up and putting some silicon grease in them they move very easily. I also got a 12' length of 1/2"x6 tpi acme threaded bar and I'll screwcut some pfte nuts and split them for backlash free nuts. My finally sent those straight thru parrallel cables so now I can start playing with some steppers and I'll be programming a 16f pic with my own code as the translator. Fun times ahead and when I get something solid going I'll make a new thread to log my progress.

Cheers Bryan

G'day fella's, my first post. Yes another Sth Aussie here in St.Marys Adelaide. I have just started designing my first machine and doing the usual pro's and con's of projects like this. I'm going to go with a fixed gantry design as I want to maintain rigidity throughout the rig. I already have a pair of linear rails,1200 long, with 4 cars. I will try to achieve Z axis movement of 300mm but I reckon it will flex to much. 175 to 225 might be more realistic. I'm throwing a few designs together in SolidWorks and will post some pics once they are more complete.

Redwood Park! we are close... I'm in Banksia Park, I just look at all this in wonderment. I wonder if I could ever build the electonic side of a CNC machine. I have some machine carcases that would/might be good starting points, but just dream that perhaps in retirement I could give it all a try.

I have a very old NEC APC which runs EZCAM software, which I find great for doing 2D profiling. O pc is running and I have a spare too as backup, prox 1981 vintage with the two big 8" floppy drives, but the spare pc has blown the high tension transformer for the colour display. Anyone know where I could find parts? The software won't run on anything else.

Hi Guys

I also am from Adelaide and live with my wife in Woodville South (soon to be +1 with our first child arriving in May)

I mention her because she's recently given me the go ahead to purchase a small mill and lathe. :banana:

I've settled on the X3 mill which I will eventually convert to CNC but am still a little up in the air about which lathe to buy (from Ozmestore) - looking at the 22" x 10" or the BV20L (any suggestions)??

My focus is really firstly just to get back into machining since the last time I used one was waaay back in High School and then I have a couple of personal projects for my other "toy"

Well, it's good to know others from SA are around..

Paul

Hi Guys I'm amazed there are so many from Adelaide here I live at Morphett Vale and work at Lonsdale, I have no plans to build a CNC but I'm lucky enough to play... Um work on them all day, we have a Mazak VQC 20/50, a Fagor T800, a really cool CNC surface grinder, along with a heap of Manual Machines and welding equipment.

Hey there seems to be lots of us from South Australia looking at this amazing site! I'm at Banksia Park & Holden Hill. Have lots of mechanical bits that need to be reborn some day. So I guess I'm just looking with interest at the moment

Hoopstar, Congrats on the impending arrival of your first baby! My wife and i had our first last July (hence my absence from this forum for the last 8 months!). I was trying my hardest to get my router build complete before she arrived but she had other plans and came 2 weeks early. I have only just been able to get back into it and am now try to get it done by easter.

VWSatOz, yeah, Banksia park is very close! I was thinking due to all the responses i've had i might organise a BBQ once i've got my router up and running. Anyone interested? (Otherwsie i'll make the trip to Vic for their next one...)

Does a qlder count:rainfro::banana::banana:

I would just love to see a home-built CNC machine all up & running, BBQ is good idea too
    Banksia Park dude.

yup from SA, Adelaide!

want to build a cnc router bed 1200mm x 1200mm approx.. mainly for signage cut from cast acrylic sheet and aluminium.
    dont really know where to get most of the parts in adelaide, but im slowly working it all out in my spare time....

I'm new but very interested

I have been watching a while now with great interest.
    I'm in Ferntree Gully Victoria (East of Melbourne)

Ive been involved in electronics as a technician and hobbyist for years now and have a woodwork business on the side.
    Its certainly something I want to get into but have no idea where to start.

Is there a section in this Forum for Newbies?
    A Getting Started in CNC section?
    Or should i buy a book CNC for dummies?

I just wanna make a small one to start with for using with my Dremel.

Any suggestions or direction of where to start would be a great help
    Thanks
    Andrew

Andrew

You should have attended the BBQ on Saturday at Wantirna. (chair)

There was lots to see and people to talk to.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52119

Never mind we are planning another one in May. Make sure you come along.

Greg

Bugger Me!!! I lived in Salisbury East for 16 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenre View Post
    Im in Salisbury!

Anyone here know about stepper motors?

I have 2 Fuji's 6 wire, 1.8V 4.8A per phase. 3/8 shaft.

Any ideas on what sort of torque they could be?

Ken
    Bugger Me!!! I lived in Salisbury East for 16 years!
    Live in QLD now. lived close to BI-LO shops.

Rhino
    On the other hand, You have different fingers.

Tosser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenre View Post
    Go port!!!! hehehe
    Tosser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    On the other hand, You have different fingers.

cnc bbq Sat 24th May - Melbourne

Hi fellas, Just wondering if any South Aussies are going to Melbourne for the cnc day/ bbq ?

This is a great opportunity to meet fellow enthusiasts and learn about cnc.

There are 3 of us going so far.

Qantas still have seats available. We are leaving on the 6.45am flight arriving in Melbourne at 8.30, and returning same day on the 5.55 pm flight.
    Cost is only $75 each way.

Hope to see some of you there.

Rocket.

I would love to but there is very little chance i can convince the wife its $150 well spent...
    Bummer.

Can't beleive it but she has given me the ok to come over. Any chance of sharing a cab in melb if i get the same flight?

No worries mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Matty Zee View Post
    Can't beleive it but she has given me the ok to come over. Any chance of sharing a cab in melb if i get the same flight?
    Hi Matty, we can go one step better.

We have organised a rental car in Melbourne - need to stop at the pub on the way to pick up some crownies and some ice.

Frank is a non drinker so he can drive us back to the airport.

If you would like to catch up before the day - We are Image Blinds and Robes, 16/28 Research rd Pooraka. ph 82626888. Feel welcome to drop in anytime.

Rocket.

Page 2 of 4 1234