587,558 active members*
3,665 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Ajax Lathe Kit

I have a 5 year old Ajax kit which I am now installing. I would like to use existing encoders on Bridgeport Romi cnc lathe. Dual handwheel, factory x,z axes. These are Heidainhain 600 line encoders. Any suggestions on incorporating into control appreciated.
    jh

The line count is a little low (I like to have at least 1000-line; preferably 2000), but as long as they are 5V differential line driver encoders you can certainly try running with them.

You will have to figure out which wires are which, then make your encoder cables to go to a DB9M connector at the PC. Pin-out at that end is as follows:

pin 1 n/c
    pin 2 0V (aka COM)
    pin 3 ch. /Z (aka /C)
    pin 4 ch. /A
    pin 5 ch. /B
    pin 6 ch. Z (aka C)
    pin 7 ch. A
    pin 8 ch. B
    pin 9 +5VDC (aka Vcc)

On the Machine Configuration menu in the control software, enter 2400 for your encoder counts/rev (4x the line count).

Test the encoders and your wiring with motor power off first. Just go to the PID Configuration screen, turn the encoder by hand, and see if you get the expected counts in the "Abs Pos" column for whatever axis input you have it plugged in to.

If that works, but when you power up the motor and try to jog it jerks (briefly runs away) in the opposite direction, then you need to swap your A's with your B's, to make the encoder count the other way.

Good luck.

Thanks CNCSNW for fast reply. I created some fuzzyness with the earlier statement. I just mounted x, z servo axis motors. They have 5000 line encoders. I connected these to cpu7 card and set PID parameters. Everything looks great including powered run on bench. The spindle encoder is 1250 line count. It was checked and programmed with PID parameters. All encoders are Heidenhain. My Ajax retro kit includes pendant. I did not get a manual pulse generator. There is a pigtail modular connector in the pendant for an mpg. Also on the blister pad is a off-on for mpg. So what I would like to do is use the x,z handwheels which are connected to encoders as manual pulse generators. Can I do this by connecting to pendant mpg connector? Is there a wiring diagram available for the pendant connections?

Thanks again
    jh

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562777961kvzQOe