587,465 active members*
3,178 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Running flood coolant from Mach3

Running flood coolant from Mach3

OK....my next major project is almost done. I got my flood coolant enclosure almost done and all the piping hooked up. Everything seems to run A-OK. I see in Mach 3 that I can run the coolant from the program.

HOW? What do I need to get this hooked up? I searched the site and I saw mention of a relay, but that was about it.

A nice little easy to read drawing would be cool. I am electrically challenged btw.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BrassBuilder View Post
    OK....my next major project is almost done. I got my flood coolant enclosure almost done and all the piping hooked up. Everything seems to run A-OK. I see in Mach 3 that I can run the coolant from the program.

HOW? What do I need to get this hooked up? I searched the site and I saw mention of a relay, but that was about it.
    I assume you have some sort of breakout board. You should have some relay outputs coming out of it. Whether or not the relays are part of the breakout board depend on the model. Most simply have the circuitry required to energize an external relay coil. In that case you'll have to follow the instructions that came with your breakout board to hook the relay up. After you have the hardware setup, go into Mach3 and configure the flood coolant to use the correct breakout board channel. I don't have Mach3 in front of me (maybe someone else can say what menu it's in).

I might be able to draw you a picture but I'd need to know what kind of breakout board you're using. Personally I'd recommend the LocoCNC controller, since I helped design it, and I know the documentation covers the relay part But most of them will work fine for your application.

M7, M8, and M9 are used in your g-code program when you get your system connected to some external relays that control the starting and stopping of the pump.

Paul

I'm running the Keling C10 breakout board.

What exactly do I need for hardware to get this hooked up?

Mike

I'm running the Keling C10 breakout board.

What exactly do I need for hardware to get this hooked up?

Mike
    Looks to be a re-branded CNC4PC breakout board. Here's the actual page with documentation:
    http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...products_id=45

Luckily they sell a relay board for it here:
    http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...roducts_id=148
    (this one will work as long as your coolant is less than 10 amps at 125VAC)

Buy it. Then hook it up like the instructions, wire the AC source in like you would a household light switch (i.e. the 'hot' leg gets switched). Here's the documentation:
    http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C8-AC_RELAY_Manual_Rev2.pdf

Also very important. If you have the $22.50 to spare, buy the charge pump:
    http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...products_id=51
    This will save your machinery in the event of a Windows/Mach3 lockup or crash. This should have been standard equipment on the breakout board, but that's what you get on a cheaper board.

Hope this helps.. Good luck

I do have this relay board and intend to use it to control the coolant. I haven't yet got it installed, but it looks pretty straight forward. Not rocket science here thankfully.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Neil_J View Post
    Hope this helps.. Good luck
    Yes. Actually that helped alot. I think I can figure it out now.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Not rocket science here thankfully.
    LOL. For me and building electrical stuff....it is all rocket science.
    I'm personally surprised the electrical stuff hasn't given me problems while building my mill.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaTownCBC View Post
    Yes, that does shed some more light on the situation. I wonder if anyone on the board has built this setup and currently using it.

I'm sort of wondering if it is even worth putting the coolant control into Mach3. I have a power strip with the coolant pump plugged into it and I just reach over and turn it on when I want the pump on. Turn it off when I don't need any more coolant.

But, OTOH, I want to take advantage of the full capacity of Mach3 and my setup and adding the coolant controls in would just be a step in the right direction. I eventually want to add a spindle control and a computer controlled rotary table.

Between the cnc4pc site and the cartertools site, is there any advantages one over the other?

Mike

Yes, that does shed some more light on the situation. I wonder if anyone on the board has built this setup and currently using it.

I'm sort of wondering if it is even worth putting the coolant control into Mach3. I have a power strip with the coolant pump plugged into it and I just reach over and turn it on when I want the pump on. Turn it off when I don't need any more coolant.

But, OTOH, I want to take advantage of the full capacity of Mach3 and my setup and adding the coolant controls in would just be a step in the right direction. I eventually want to add a spindle control and a computer controlled rotary table.

Between the cnc4pc site and the cartertools site, is there any advantages one over the other?

Mike
    Nope, no main differences, other than possibly cost. The solid-state relay approach (carter-tools link) is better in my opinion since there are no contacts to wear out. But for a hobby mill this is negligible (besides, SSR's burn out occasionally too). SSR's cost more than a normal relay, unless you know where to look (Jameco.com carries a few cheap ones). I'd buy whatever is more convenient to you. Either of them will work just fine.

Nope, no main differences, other than possibly cost. The solid-state relay approach (carter-tools link) is better in my opinion since there are no contacts to wear out. But for a hobby mill this is negligible (besides, SSR's burn out occasionally too). SSR's cost more than a normal relay, unless you know where to look (Jameco.com carries a few cheap ones). I'd buy whatever is more convenient to you. Either of them will work just fine.
    Thanks. I found the relays on ebay for $10 each. It appears they are around $30 on line. I can get the rest at Radio Shack if I go the carter tools route.
    Mike

Thanks. I found the relays on ebay for $10 each. It appears they are around $30 on line. I can get the rest at Radio Shack if I go the carter tools route.
    Mike
    Cool. Don't forget to pick up a charge-pump circuit from CNC4PC before you start cutting parts, if you haven't already

Cool. Don't forget to pick up a charge-pump circuit from CNC4PC before you start cutting parts, if you haven't already
    What exactly does the charge pump circuit do? From what I understand, it is supposed to shut the system down before something catastrophic happens. If some bad does happen, how is this card smart enough to know to shut the system down?
    Mike

What exactly does the charge pump circuit do? From what I understand, it is supposed to shut the system down before something catastrophic happens. If some bad does happen, how is this card smart enough to know to shut the system down?
    Mike
    It protects you and your machine from an inherently nasty Windows problem. When Mach3 runs and outputs pulses, it's never guaranteed to get is required CPU slot time. So if another program or some Windows service comes along, it has the potential to cause machine damage or human damage.

The charge pump is set up to monitor a parallel port output that has been set to output a 12.5 kHz 'software' pulse signal. If Mach3 isn't given the CPU time needed to create the signal signal (i.e. the charge pump sees a frequency change), your machine will stop before damage occurs.

Unless your OS is RT-Linux or DOS, I'd definitely run a charge pump. Windows is good for some things, but a real-time operating system it is not.

Talk about perfect timing, I was actually going to be doing this exact thing on Saturday with my coolant. I have just your basic breakout board so nothing fancy and that cartertools link was perfect. Thank you