587,443 active members*
3,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 64 of 460 1454626364656674114164
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 9195
    Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    An invitation to another pissing contest? Who attacked who, first and with the most vitriol?

No! Thank you.
    Okay let us see if you are willing to put your money where your mouth is:

[B]You posted:[\B] "Spouse" is a technical term for someone too insignificant to warrant a title or name...

I posted[I] "Nonsense; why don't you take a bit of time to read a dictionary. Spouse, Husband, Wife, are equivalent terms."[\I]

I do not consider this a personal attack; it is disagreement with your interpretation of the meaning of a word.

You replied'What part of your insufferable ego makes you think...

....Or is it still your unpleasant personality quirk of always trying to put someone down in order to feel superior yourself shining through again?....'

I think this is a personal attack. It is not that much different to me writing: 'You ****** can't you read the dictionary and find the proper meaning for spouse?' with some insulting term in place of the *****.

I can probably find other examples from your responses to some of my posts.

Here is a challenge: Name your favorite Charity and I will send a money order for $1000.00, made out to cash (or bearer}, to an impartial adjudicator of my choice who I think will be acceptable to you. You do the same thing for my Charity to another impartial adjudicator of your choice who you expect will be acceptable to me. The two adjudicators then select a third and the three scan your posts and mine and see who started what and who entered into a pissing match with who.

You may identify to the adjudicators, and to me, any posts of mine that have vitriolic attacks on you and I may do the same for your posts.

After a majority decision has been reached between the adjudicators both checks are forwarded to the appropriate Charity. With the offending post(s) being identified.

And I will stick my neck out here at the risk I may be being presumptuous naming my choice in public; I think that Mariss should be acceptable to you if he would agree to enter this dispute as an adjudicator.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Just as a matter of interest... do any of you hover your mouse cursor over the little green square at the top right of each person's post and compare the popup blurb associated with that poster? Who decides what the message should be?
    embrace enthusiasm to accomplish the task
    Gary Davies... www.durhamrobotics.com

Repeating myself..............

An invitation to another pissing contest? Who attacked who, first and with the most vitriol?

No! Thank you.
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Okay let us see if you are willing to put your money where your mouth is:
    Hi Geof,

This reminds me of a little blues ditty:

Sitting there yakkin’ right in my face
    Coming on like you own the place
    If silence was golden
    You couldn’t raise a dime
    Cause your mind is on vacation and your mouth is working overtime

You’re quoting figures, you’re dropping names
    You’re telling stories, you’re playing games
    You always laugh when things ain’t funny
    You try to sound like you don’t need money
    If talk was criminal, you’d lead a life of crime

You know that life is short and talk is cheap
    Don’t make promises that you can’t keep
    If you don’t like the song I’m singing, just grin and bear it
    All I can say is if the shoe fits wear it
    If you must keep talking please can you make it rhyme

Can't wait for the outcome

regards Gary

Quote Originally Posted by DR-Motion View Post
    Hi Geof,

This reminds me of a little blues ditty:

Sitting there yakkin’ right in my face

snip

Can't wait for the outcome

regards Gary
    The outcome is right there above your post.

Just as a matter of interest... do any of you hover your mouse cursor over the little green square at the top right of each person's post and compare the popup blurb associated with that poster? Who decides what the message should be?
    If you go to the Members List you will see a similar square in the Reputation column; it comes up with the same '...on a distinguished road...' comment. The comment stays the same if you click on Reputation so that members are listed in order of Reputation.

I suspect that it is a feature that has not been fully implemented on this site.

I am quite capable of knowing when I've been attacked. Neither do I feel a need to prove anything to anyone.

Do you want to change the tone of the relationship? Change it with those thing you can control. Actions speak loudly. The printed word amounts to an act.

We shall see.
    Again repeating the second and also an important part of that statement.

Now, show us what you are made of.
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Hmmm, yeah, I guess I didn't refresh my screen.

Well that's that then.

Ah well, it looks like the finances of my newly formed sect (post#1243) is going to be somewhat "sub-prime" for some time to come....

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post
    Ah well, it looks like the finances of my newly formed sect (post#1243) is going to be somewhat "sub-prime" for some time to come....

Best wishes,

Martin

Tis true, alas! Bullies coming onto the schoolyard dragging knuckles aren't interested in congenial things.

As for my part, I get too much pleasure from all the other forums to risk censure telling some wise guy what for. It doesn't pay anything anyway and costs me nothing to let a so-and-so think he's won something. You can't have a decent cuss fight on line either.

So on ward and upward, all wanting a discussion.....speak!
    Those wanting a fight, find someone else! I won't have a part in you silly game.

(Have you noticed, the real heavy weights have abandoned this thread?)

it comes up with the same '...on a distinguished road...' comment.
    Well that's what yours says, so does mine, hey, Martin's does as well....

but ? LOL .... not everybody's

Again repeating the second and also an important part of that statement.

Now, show us what you are made of.
    I don't understand this statement.

I made an offer to have our peers, one selected by me one selected by you with a third selected by the first two, make an impartial judgement as to whether I am guilty of posting personal attacks on you, or whether you are guilty of posting personal attacks on me. I figure that is showing what I am made of; I am willing to abide by the judgement of others. And I backed it up with hard cash. You appear to be unwilling to subject yourself to the same judgement.

Not in the near term as a means of reducing CO2 emissions; go back and read my posts referring to lead times of at least ten years if nuclear plants were all approved and ready to build. Couple that with the CO2 pulse that would be created by their construction; specifically the cement requirement. Incidentally NewScientist, Jan 26 - Feb 1, 2008 has an article on "Green" concrete which states; 'Between 5 and 8 per cent of global CO2 emissions are the result of (Portland) cement production'. The ironic` thing is the article also has this byline referring to the "Green" concrete; 'It eats power station waste for breakfast - has E-crete got what it takes to replace ordinary concrete? So, in other words, you need your CO2 spewing, sulfur and oxides of nitrogen belching, fly-ash creating, coal based power stations to make the raw material for E-crete. And on reading the article it appears it does not have what it takes in either strength or durability to replace Portland cement based concrete.

And because you dreifted off away from the near term into longb term energy sources to fill in the gap left by depleted fossil fuel reserves: No, nuclear is not a panacea there either. Or at least simple nuclear using enriched uranium because that is not inexhaustable. Fast breeder reactors may come close but the sheer magnitude of what would be required is difficult to comprehend as possible.

The bottom line to me is that the two generations following us are going to have to adapt to any changes from global warming or cooling; they cannot be stopped. Past that, following generations will need to practise radical birth control to reduce the world population to a level that can be supported by renewable energy sources as prevailed four or five generations ago. If population is not brought down in time by natural attrition; i.e. a birth rate well below replacement levels then Mother Nature will apply retroactive birth control in a large way.
    Hi Geof,
    Quote Geof: The bottom line to me is that the two generations following us are going to have to adapt to any changes from global warming or cooling; they cannot be stopped. Past that, following generations will need to practise radical birth control to reduce the world population to a level that can be supported by renewable energy sources as prevailed four or five generations ago.
    Me: I couldn't agree more. The world is insanely overpopulated, we can't sustain the extant population even for the short term. I think it will take more than radical birth control, I think it will take a pandemic flu outbreak or a major war. BTW, what renewable energy resources did they use 4 ro 5 generations ago?
    Quote Geof:
    And because you dreifted off away from the near term into longb term energy sources to fill in the gap left by depleted fossil fuel reserves: No, nuclear is not a panacea there either. Or at least simple nuclear using enriched uranium because that is not inexhaustable. Fast breeder reactors may come close but the sheer magnitude of what would be required is difficult to comprehend as possible.

Me: I'll check with John, he'll know about the nuclear thing, he's a genius you know.
    5 and 8%, that's a lot. Who could have thought that that much CO2 would come out of concrete production. Well at least I've learned something.
    Thank you Geof,
    xyzdonna

Well that's what yours says, so does mine, hey, Martin's does as well....

but ? LOL .... not everybody's
    Well, I have no idea where that "green button stuff" comes from, and didn't know anything about it until a couple of minutes ago.

I would guess that most people form an opinion of somebody from what they post. I do not need to be directed by some "opinion poll", if indeed, that is what it is.

I suspect that I'm being a bit old-fashioned.

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by xyzdonna View Post
    ....what renewable energy resources did they use 4 ro 5 generations ago?....xyzdonna
    Grain and hay for horses and oxen; windpower for windmills, water power for water wheels. Actually my 4 or 5 generations maybe should be taken back abit further because 5 generations ago coal was already in use.

Grain and hay for horses and oxen; windpower for windmills, water power for water wheels. Actually my 4 or 5 generations maybe should be taken back abit further because 5 generations ago coal was already in use.
    Thanks Geof,
    For not saying "How could you be so stupid"!
    BTW, I read your "A Brief History Of Global Climate Change", interesting stuff. I like it when someone puts things in perspective and someone else plays devils advocate.
    Take care,
    xyzdonna

Well, I have no idea where that "green button stuff" comes from, and didn't know anything about it until a couple of minutes ago.

I would guess that most people form an opinion of somebody from what they post. I do not need to be directed by some "opinion poll", if indeed, that is what it is.

Absolutely, but it is interesting to know what other people think

I suspect that I'm being a bit old-fashioned.

Not at all, one should always think for oneself

Best wishes,

Martin
    “Oh wad some power the giftie gie us To see oursel's as others see us!"

Ignore him, Martin. He came here looking for a cuss fight, didn't get it and now trying to start one with you. Just a trouble maker. Don't give him what he wants.

Dear Martin,

I certainly hope you don't perceive my reply to your post as any criticism. Indeed, I intended only agreement and respect for your opinion. I merely added that other peoples opinions are interesting (and indeed are the basis of communication, empathy and civilization).

Your posts have always been original and perceptive; and an invitation to further conversation.

best regards, Gary

Martin
    Dear All,

No offence taken at all. Quite, the opposite.... I think I should apologise for my pompous post (above).

Best wishes,

Martin

Page 64 of 460 1454626364656674114164