587,779 active members*
2,672 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 62 of 460 1252606162636472112162
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 9195
    Quote Originally Posted by DR-Motion View Post
    << It seems that your lifestyle choice has left you in wonderful health. >>

Excuse me while I inhale a lungfull of delicious fresh air and fully oxygenate my blood, ahhh now my fully charged hemoglobin is feeding my brain and my thoughts are now clear. Exhale, yes I see a sick, lonely old man playing "king of the hill", attacking anyone who does not agree with him. So sad.

Yes I've tried cannabis. It wasn't the evil demon I had been told it was. Haven't smoked (anything) for decades but cannabis did have a long term effect on me.
    It made me realise that other so-called, self-evident truths that had been fed to me may also be suspect and so I learned to think for myself.
    There is anecdotal evidence on both sides of the fence. There are some new studies (source was in Denmark) that show medical consequences but not significantly more or less than cigarettes, with a couple of exceptions where it is much less risky than smoking tobacco, so you get down to how does it effect society. Mostly the criminalization of it has been harmful, not the actual drug. Criminalizing it has brought up a subculture that exposes people to harder drugs, and during the 70's it was often unintentional on the end users part, PCP etc. Pot has been called the great un-motivator for good reason also. I know a lot of successful people do use it, but a lot more that use it don't live up to their potential and end up contributing less to society than they could, to their own detriment largely. Society always needs "ditch diggers". I've lost a few friends that while in high school and even at the start of college had enviable grades in various disciplines and now work what are basically subsistence level jobs, the proverbial ditch diggers. I also know a couple of people that are highly successful and hold down high level jobs that use but they are the minority. What really surprises me is the number of people that don't outgrow it and become adults. When I went through my rebel without a clue stage I had long hair, ate mushrooms and dropped acid, but eventually I had to grow up and join society and honestly miss it not one bit. A little different but basically the same juvenile motivation.
    Medicinally I don't see how it is more effective than the chemically pure versions that have been tested, other than of course those are therapeutically effective levels that don't get you stoned. There is a mental dependency that some people experience on the other hand, a self medication type situation. Unlike another drug used this way, alcohol, at least it doesn't cause you to drive through town risking everyone's life and limb. Still driving under the influence of pot should be treated criminally, impaired judgment and cars don't mix but it seems to be a lesser danger than driving drunk. A road side test would be needed, but I'm sure that is easy enough to come up with.
    Personally, for rather personal reasons, I don't associate with people that use it, at least to my knowledge that is. Decriminalization would free up a fair amount of prison space, drug enforcement resources and generate tax monies from usage taxes like cigarettes do. Just as it is illegal to produce alcohol in excess of personal usage quantities the same could be done with pot. Age limits can be implemented and some of the new tax money could be used like it is with cigarettes for early education, not propaganda mind but actual education.
    IMO prohibition of pot is akin to the prohibition of alcohol, and for the record organized crime syndicates that came to power from prohibition are still active, even though the FBI did land a major blow when they got Gotti and some of his associates. Go to Warwick RI if you doubt it. Ending prohibition didn't break Al Capone the IRS did. Jhowelb your point about a son or daughter turning to crime to support a habit isn't applicable to pot users. Pot isn't that expensive (cop friends as sources) and it doesn't cause withdrawals like "hard drugs" do that inspire junkies to crime. No one comes across as suggesting legalizing all drugs, which as you pointed out would be a disaster. But to address your point if it was legalized and my daughter started using it in the future I'd do my best to get her to see the reasons for stopping, but hopefully I will do my job as a parent so she wouldn't have a great deal of interest in it, or any drug, in this hypothetical future. A lot of these problems we face now in society could have been prevented by responsible parenting.
    Just my opinion. That and 1.50 will buy you a small coffee so take it as you will.
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by One of Many View Post
    In the past on food, SNIP
    Love that video, I've got a copy of it on my personal PC. "crack spiders bi**#" LOL
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

I refuse to farther debate the most delicious way to commit suicide!
    There is a reason it is called dope.

Noun 1.
    dope - street names for marijuana
    gage, green goddess, sens, sess, Mary Jane, locoweed, skunk, weed, grass, smoke, pot, cannabis, ganja, marihuana, marijuana - the most commonly used illicit drug; considered a soft drug, it consists of the dried leaves of the hemp plant; smoked or chewed for euphoric effect

dope - an ignorant or foolish person, boob, booby, pinhead, dumbbell, dummy simpleton, simple - a person lacking intelligence or common sense
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

“ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Sheesh

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post
    I refuse to farther debate the most delicious way to commit suicide!
    There is a reason it is called dope.

Noun 1.
    dope - street names for marijuana
    gage, green goddess, sens, sess, Mary Jane, locoweed, skunk, weed, grass, smoke, pot, cannabis, ganja, marihuana, marijuana - the most commonly used illicit drug; considered a soft drug, it consists of the dried leaves of the hemp plant; smoked or chewed for euphoric effect

dope - an ignorant or foolish person, boob, booby, pinhead, dumbbell, dummy simpleton, simple - a person lacking intelligence or common sense

Brilliant. You are a most excellent debater. I am not worthy
    embrace enthusiasm to accomplish the task
    Gary Davies... www.durhamrobotics.com

Excuse me while I inhale a lungfull of delicious fresh air and fully oxygenate my blood, ahhh now my fully charged hemoglobin is feeding my brain and my thoughts are now clear. Exhale, yes I see a sick, lonely old man playing "king of the hill", attacking anyone who does not agree with him. So sad.

Yes I've tried cannabis. It wasn't the evil demon I had been told it was. Haven't smoked (anything) for decades but cannabis did have a long term effect on me.
    It made me realise that other so-called, self-evident truths that had been fed to me may also be suspect and so I learned to think for myself.

Your remarks are intended to inflict pain and anguish for no other purpose. They indicate clearly for the entire world to see what a small, insecure, vicious, spiteful, cold, selfish, pitiable individual you really are.

They missed the mark by at least a country mile and have had no effect on me. Allow me to illustrate for you.

Sick? Yes, I inhaled a mixture of agent orange and other toxins while defending your freedom and that is what affected my lungs. (You are very welcome, I expect and have received no thanks for the job I did. In fact I deferred the medals that were offered.) This is a fact that has long since been resolved in my view of the world. No pain there!

Lonely? Hardly! I am surrounded by a large loving family who all think I can walk on water and enough friends to fill a large convention hall. It's hard top find time for things due to the phone calls and visitors coming by and attending the events to which I am invited.

Old man? Guilty! The experience I've gained in those years have given me the wisdom to see right through the transparent facade you have erected to disguise your own short comings.

King of the Hill? Possibly, but I have earned the privilege of voicing my opinion and will do so as long as I choose. If that offends you then in the words of Wxyz "tough nuggies"!

Know one thing for certain, far from being hurt by your remarks I am sitting here laughing at you!

Go ahead, smoke another one, Bro!

The Sun Also Sets

By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Thursday, February 07, 2008 4:20 PM PT

Climate Change: Not every scientist is part of Al Gore's mythical "consensus." Scientists worried about a new ice age seek funding to better observe something bigger than your SUV — the sun.

Related Topics: Global Warming

Back in 1991, before Al Gore first shouted that the Earth was in the balance, the Danish Meteorological Institute released a study using data that went back centuries that showed that global temperatures closely tracked solar cycles.

To many, those data were convincing. Now, Canadian scientists are seeking additional funding for more and better "eyes" with which to observe our sun, which has a bigger impact on Earth's climate than all the tailpipes and smokestacks on our planet combined.

And they're worried about global cooling, not warming.

Kenneth Tapping, a solar researcher and project director for Canada's National Research Council, is among those looking at the sun for evidence of an increase in sunspot activity.

Solar activity fluctuates in an 11-year cycle. But so far in this cycle, the sun has been disturbingly quiet. The lack of increased activity could signal the beginning of what is known as a Maunder Minimum, an event which occurs every couple of centuries and can last as long as a century.

Such an event occurred in the 17th century. The observation of sunspots showed extraordinarily low levels of magnetism on the sun, with little or no 11-year cycle.

This solar hibernation corresponded with a period of bitter cold that began around 1650 and lasted, with intermittent spikes of warming, until 1715. Frigid winters and cold summers during that period led to massive crop failures, famine and death in Northern Europe.

Tapping reports no change in the sun's magnetic field so far this cycle and warns that if the sun remains quiet for another year or two, it may indicate a repeat of that period of drastic cooling of the Earth, bringing massive snowfall and severe weather to the Northern Hemisphere.

Tapping oversees the operation of a 60-year-old radio telescope that he calls a "stethoscope for the sun." But he and his colleagues need better equipment.

In Canada, where radio-telescopic monitoring of the sun has been conducted since the end of World War II, a new instrument, the next-generation solar flux monitor, could measure the sun's emissions more rapidly and accurately.

As we have noted many times, perhaps the biggest impact on the Earth's climate over time has been the sun.

For instance, researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Solar Research in Germany report the sun has been burning more brightly over the last 60 years, accounting for the 1 degree Celsius increase in Earth's temperature over the last 100 years.

R. Timothy Patterson, professor of geology and director of the Ottawa-Carleton Geoscience Center of Canada's Carleton University, says that "CO2 variations show little correlation with our planet's climate on long, medium and even short time scales."

Rather, he says, "I and the first-class scientists I work with are consistently finding excellent correlations between the regular fluctuations of the sun and earthly climate. This is not surprising. The sun and the stars are the ultimate source of energy on this planet."

Patterson, sharing Tapping's concern, says: "Solar scientists predict that, by 2020, the sun will be starting into its weakest Schwabe cycle of the past two centuries, likely leading to unusually cool conditions on Earth."

"Solar activity has overpowered any effect that CO2 has had before, and it most likely will again," Patterson says. "If we were to have even a medium-sized solar minimum, we could be looking at a lot more bad effects than 'global warming' would have had."

In 2005, Russian astronomer Khabibullo Abdusamatov made some waves — and not a few enemies in the global warming "community" — by predicting that the sun would reach a peak of activity about three years from now, to be accompanied by "dramatic changes" in temperatures.

A Hoover Institution Study a few years back examined historical data and came to a similar conclusion.

"The effects of solar activity and volcanoes are impossible to miss. Temperatures fluctuated exactly as expected, and the pattern was so clear that, statistically, the odds of the correlation existing by chance were one in 100," according to Hoover fellow Bruce Berkowitz.

The study says that "try as we might, we simply could not find any relationship between industrial activity, energy consumption and changes in global temperatures."

The study concludes that if you shut down all the world's power plants and factories, "there would not be much effect on temperatures."

But if the sun shuts down, we've got a problem. It is the sun, not the Earth, that's hanging in the balance

Wow, turning a rant on someone's personal health condition that you know nothing about is a bit uncivilized and not something I'd expect as a defensive posture from you DR.

So if there were no demons, what part of its evil did you come to consider that helped you decide to walk away from it decades ago but still become defensive about other opinions today? Seems to me you'ld share more of the why nots, than with defiance to make it out to be no big deal. While that may be no big deal for you, someone else may see your points as a valid risk and fall hard giving your no big deal a whirl.

There have been many good points in the pro's and con's along with reasonable debate for a resolution to the core problem besides the current approach. Most people around the world know the dangers of inviting a monkey on their backs and the troubles that go along with it. Foresight is better than a late short sighted epiphany any day. By then the monkeys learned how to knock on the door and the strength to resist the reward is of little interest. It's only a hit away, hit away, hit away.

DC

Your remarks are intended to inflict pain and anguish for no other purpose. They indicate clearly for the entire world to see what a small, insecure, vicious, spiteful, cold, selfish, pitiable individual you really are.

Excuse me! you're the one who invited me to climb a funeral pyre and offered to light it. I guess you have no respect for the lives of those who disagree with you.

They missed the mark by at least a country mile and have had no effect on me. Allow me to illustrate for you.

Sick? Yes, I inhaled a mixture of agent orange and other toxins while defending your freedom and that is what affected my lungs. (You are very welcome, I expect and have received no thanks for the job I did. In fact I deferred the medals that were offered.) This is a fact that has long since been resolved in my view of the world. No pain there!

Sorry for your misfortune, the oxygen remark was an allusion to your oxygen starved brain

Lonely? Hardly! I am surrounded by a large loving family who all think I can walk on water and enough friends to fill a large convention hall. It's hard top find time for things due to the phone calls and visitors coming by and attending the events to which I am invited.

You certainly have time to be the most prodigious poster in this thread.

Old man? Guilty! The experience I've gained in those years have given me the wisdom to see right through the transparent facade you have erected to disguise your own short comings.

Hmmm the tone here reminds me of a friend who is a retired US Marine Gunnery sergeant... pretty smart guy except when blinded by his predudices.

King of the Hill? Possibly, but I have earned the privilege of voicing my opinion and will do so as long as I choose. If that offends you then in the words of Wxyz "tough nuggies"!

"King of the Hill is a kiddy game where a child attempts to defend a small mound by pushing off the other kids.

Know one thing for certain, far from being hurt by your remarks I am sitting here laughing at you!

Go ahead, smoke another one, Bro!
    Your last statement illustrates the reason for this debate... you don't read.
    I clearly mentioned that I haven't smoked in years. Did you read the information about the truth of cannabis' effects, I guess not

The Sun Also Sets

By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Thursday, February 07, 2008 4:20 PM PT

Now this is interesting. By the way I assume you paid the $250 fee to INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY for the permission to post this article as per their copyright notice.

There is no debate.
    I read just fine.
    I think you are probably lying about using. (Hypocrisy?)

Ashamed

Quote Originally Posted by One of Many View Post
    Wow, turning a rant on someone's personal health condition that you know nothing about is a bit uncivilized and not something I'd expect as a defensive posture from you DR.

Shuffles feet, well yeah, DC, that was a bit rash. I did lash out and it was from the demons of pot. A long time ago my young teenage friend was incarcerated for the crime of possessing a small amount of cannabis. THEY locked him up and I guess I still hold those with a prohibitionist mindset responsible. He hurt no one and he was locked up; for two years; with real criminals

So if there were no demons, what part of its evil did you come to consider that helped you decide to walk away from it decades ago but still become defensive about other opinions today? Seems to me you'ld share more of the why nots, than with defiance to make it out to be no big deal. While that may be no big deal for you, someone else may see your points as a valid risk and fall hard giving your no big deal a whirl.

Nothing wrong with pot but when I had kids of my own there was no time for smoking pot or brewing beer. Guess I never got back into either hobby but later took up electronics and CNC instead. So little time so much to do.

There have been many good points in the pro's and con's along with reasonable debate for a resolution to the core problem besides the current approach. Most people around the world know the dangers of inviting a monkey on their backs and the troubles that go along with it. Foresight is better than a late short sighted epiphany any day. By then the monkeys learned how to knock on the door and the strength to resist the reward is of little interest. It's only a hit away, hit away, hit away.

DC
    The monkey on back metaphor usually applies to a physical, heroin addiction;
    cannabis is less addictive than coffee. Try giving up caffeine for a while you'll see.

The monkey on back metaphor usually applies to a physical, heroin addiction;
    cannabis is less addictive than coffee. Try giving up caffeine for a while you'll see.

It is possible to rationalize anything you wish to yourself and you will buy it. The rest of the world may have other standards to measure you by.

Many different species and tribes of monkeys, some get spanked others just run wild. Some folks just interpret words on a scale separate from yours.

Caffeine and heroine, yes of course, I see the comparison! Isn't there a bulletin board service for junkies somewhere?

It is possible to rationalize anything you wish to yourself and you will buy it. The rest of the world may have other standards to measure you by.

Many different species and tribes of monkeys, some get spanked others just run wild. Some folks just interpret words on a scale separate from yours.

Caffeine and heroine, yes of course, I see the comparison! Isn't there a bulletin board service for junkies somewhere?
    My favourite heroine is Joan of Arc, I guess you were spankin yer monkey when you posted this.

My favourite heroine is Joan of Arc.....
    What about Xena Warrior Princess?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Go away kid, you bother me..................

Then there's ..... BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER. :idea: :nono:

Go away kid, you bother me..................
    All things considered I'd rather you were in Philidelphia

Errrh,

Any chance of stopping this??

You are all old enough, and intelligent enough to stop trading your insults in public. I have absolutely no problem with a bit of random nastiness, but it is getting relentless, continuous, and tedious.

Please, kindly, refrain. There are big issues involved, but you will never agree to disagree. Why prolong the agony???

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post
    Errrh,

Any chance of stopping this??

You are all old enough, and intelligent enough to stop trading your insults in public. I have absolutely no problem with a bit of random nastiness, but it is getting relentless, continuous, and tedious.

Please, kindly, refrain. There are big issues involved, but you will never agree to disagree. Why prolong the agony???

Best wishes,

Martin
    You are absolutely correct, Martin, and with that objective in mind I for one shall ignore any farther comments made by the miscreant regardless of subject and moreover I shall not address legal or illegal use of any substance.

The whole subject is annoying, repulsive and boring.

Enough said, chapter closed!!!

Page 62 of 460 1252606162636472112162