587,125 active members*
2,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > I'm considering purchasing Daewoo - Doosan

Exclamation I'm considering purchasing Daewoo - Doosan

We are considering purchasing our first Daewoo Puma Gantry Lathe. Does anyone have any positive or negative experience with their machines?

Earlier machines (pre1995) were a bit problematic. The later ones are much better. They sometimes have little problems here and there (we've had trouble with hyd pressure switches, coolant pumps and sometimes tool measurers sticking. Overall they are a good buy. They seem to be built stronger than some of the Japanese machines. Of course you can still get a bad one like with anything. Would be hard to go past one (for a middle range machine) in my opinion. There are better and there are worse around.

Hi, we have 2 Puma 230 MSB's, a Puma 2000SY and an ACE V430 VMC. All very good machines in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Czys View Post
    We are considering purchasing our first Daewoo Puma Gantry Lathe. Does anyone have any positive or negative experience with their machines?
    Hi Ken

i have a Puma 2500y, since a half year, works fine,
    if u can live with the Fanuc Control, and the direktTooling turret(non VDI)
    it schould be a good deal.

greets

They are the great bang for the buck machine, go for it.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

What part of the country are you in?

Daewoo / Doosan Experience

We have 3 Daewoo / Doosan mill-turn centers. 2500LSY, 2500SY, and 2000SY

My sentiments are very close to the comments above.

Good bang for the buck, compared to Mori Sieki or Nokamura Tomi. The lathes seem to be very strong mechanically, and we are happy with the Fanuc controller.

Negative Side: Our experience (our machines are 1 year to 3 years old) is Daewoo really skimped on quality in peripheral devices. Hyd and proximity switches have been a nightmare. We had one proximity switch on parts catcher go bad 3 times in one month. $150.00 each time for a new switch, not to mention loss of production. I understand Doosan is addressing this problem, and lately switches we have replaced have been upgraded. All three lathes have had either coolant pumps or skimmer units replaced, mostly on warranty.

I am out of warranty now, and I am not looking forward to the bills from the less than quality components failing on a regular basis this year.

If I were to buy another similar lathe (and I would buy Doosan again), I would negotiate an extended warranty on coolant pumps, skimmer units, and switches (both hydraulic and proximity). I might even demand extra switches be suppled to keep at the shop. We have become quite proficient in replacing the switches, they have failed that often on all 3 machines. Having the replacement switches in house could reduce downtime when a failure occurs, they are not difficult to replace

In my opinion the units are good investments, I hope Doosan is considering upgrading the areas which cause the problems above. I would gladly pay an extra $5K more for the machine to have better quality components. If the switches, pumps, and skimmers were better quality, then I believe the Doosan mill-turn centers would possibly be the best investment in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRim View Post
    They are the great bang for the buck machine, go for it.
    They seem OK
    the shop I work at has 2007 lynx 200 and the L models
    most of them have hydrawlic leaking we can't find the leaks and hydrawlic run very hot on these machines I think Def they don't take care of them
    turrets are OK for being beaten up
    the fanuc control really good surprisingly they hold size

Re: Daewoo / Doosan Experience

Quote Originally Posted by STS_John View Post
    We have 3 Daewoo / Doosan mill-turn centers. 2500LSY, 2500SY, and 2000SY

Negative Side: Our experience (our machines are 1 year to 3 years old) is Daewoo really skimped on quality in peripheral devices. Hyd and proximity switches have been a nightmare. We had one proximity switch on parts catcher go bad 3 times in one month. $150.00 each time for a new switch, not to mention loss of production. I understand Doosan is addressing this problem, and lately switches we have replaced have been upgraded. All three lathes have had either coolant pumps or skimmer units replaced, mostly on warranty.

I am out of warranty now, and I am not looking forward to the bills from the less than quality components failing on a regular basis this year.

If I were to buy another similar lathe (and I would buy Doosan again), I would negotiate an extended warranty on coolant pumps, skimmer units, and switches (both hydraulic and proximity). I might even demand extra switches be suppled to keep at the shop. We have become quite proficient in replacing the switches, they have failed that often on all 3 machines. Having the replacement switches in house could reduce downtime when a failure occurs, they are not difficult to replace

In my opinion the units are good investments, I hope Doosan is considering upgrading the areas which cause the problems above. I would gladly pay an extra $5K more for the machine to have better quality components. If the switches, pumps, and skimmers were better quality, then I believe the Doosan mill-turn centers would possibly be the best investment in the market.
    Good morning, Sir.

Doosan buys our proximity switched from Balluff, or equivalent. If you are having issues with the same switch, in the same location (physical, and circuitry) then the proximity switch dying is more likely a symptom than the real problem.
    If all other switches are having issues, we look at the 24vdc that feeds the Prox switch.

For example:
    the machine uses 208 (best) to 220 (acceptable) for its 3 phase voltage, but not all 3 phase is the same...

R, S, and T when read to each other might be 208, but what is the reading per each leg to ground

If GND-R is 112Vac
    & GND-S is 113Vac
    but GND-T is 162Vac

These, due to phase shift, might all read 208 as leg-to-leg, but T in this instance is considered a wild leg.

R goes out L1 (used for 3 phase and all 24VDC sources)
    S goes out L2 (used for 3 phase only)
    T goes out L3 (used for 3 phase and all 110VAC sources)

So if R or T is a wild leg it could cause issues. Put all wild legs as S only and swap the others to get the phase back into the right rotation.

To show you what could be happening, if your wild leg is on R, then what is expecting to convert around 110VAC down to 24VDC, but finding as example, 162VAC, it converts it to about 36VDC (Note: even the Fanuc control, the best protected item in the machine, can only take 38VDC before issues start)
    Note: this is just one example of what could be wrong
    Doosan Service Technician
    [email protected] O:973-618-2461 M:973-803-9479

Why not buy your switches from the aftermarket? I know Automationdirect sells proximity switches for less than 30.00. There are all kinds of switches available, just look. I doubt the OEM would have switches specially made, just for their product. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by greggv View Post
    Why not buy your switches from the aftermarket? I know Automationdirect sells proximity switches for less than 30.00. There are all kinds of switches available, just look. I doubt the OEM would have switches specially made, just for their product. Just sayin...
    Our switches are NOT proprietary, as I said, they can be obtained anywhere that Balluff switches are available.

I was trying to emphasize that the problem might not be the proximity switch itself, but some other, underlying, issue...and that I was willing to assist in resolving the issue.
    Doosan Service Technician
    [email protected] O:973-618-2461 M:973-803-9479