587,486 active members*
3,919 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Neat way of creating the bearing slides...

Hello All-

I was building my bearing slide assemblies this weekend and used an interesting way to get all the bearings in the correct locations.

In the past, when I made the bearing slide assemblies for my previous cnc machine, I just measured the locations where the bearing assemblies needed to go. This worked ok, but some of the bearing assemblies were located "just off" where they needed to be.

So, this time, I used a different method. I will try and explain with the pictures below...

Image 1 - Mark the horizontal locations where the bearing assemblies will be on your aluminum angle.

Image 2 - Using another piece of scrap aluminum angle, position it behind and above the marked aluminum angle. Place a bearing you will be using on the marked aluminum angle and up against the "fence-piece" of scrap angle over one of the marks you made.

Image 3 - Use a "brad-point" drill bit the same diameter as the inside diameter of the bearing.

Image 4 - Slide the bearing back and forth a bit keeping pressure against the back scrap aluminum fence. Push down on the drill bit enough to "mark" the aluminum. Because the bearing is rolling against the back fence, it will create a perfectly horizontal line.

Image 5 - The location is now marked. I then took this to the drill press and used the same brad-point bit to drill the hole. Yes, you still have to be pretty precise to line up the tip of the bit with the intersecting lines, but I found this to me more accurate than just measuring with a ruler/scale.

Image 6 - The finished bearing slide assembly. It sits perfectly flush with the linear pipe and slides like a dream.

Hope this helps.

Brad

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new-2.jpg   new-3.jpg   new-4.jpg  

I just use a template and center punch, the bit in the drill press will put the bit spot on.

then mark the stepdown and use tablesaw to clear out the material, Using a srap wood at a 45deg. to rest aluminum angle against. leaves a clean and smooth finish.

ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES.

Joe

Great idea, Bradtal!! I wish I thought of this when making mine. On a couple, I had to adjust by elongating the hole so that the bearing would ride on the pipes.

Thanks...

You know a simple fence clamped to your drill press table will do the alignment thing brilliantly too.... Add a couple of stop blocks to your fence and you can get perfect spacing every time too...
    Nathan

Bradtal-
    My friend Tyler and I followed your method exactly when drilling our bearing slides for our Sophomore Build machine. It worked perfectly and was really easy!! I definitely recommend this procedure to anyone who is trying to make the bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Sbthomas13 View Post
    Bradtal-
    My friend Tyler and I followed your method exactly when drilling our bearing slides for our Sophomore Build machine. It worked perfectly and was really easy!! I definitely recommend this procedure to anyone who is trying to make the bearings.
    Sbthomas-

Thanks for the feedback! I am really glad you were able to follow the procedure and it worked for you. That was the reason I shared it. Not everyone has a fence on their drill press, templates, etc. The method I showed I was hoping would help others, so thanks for letting me know!

PS. I have been following your's and Tyler's "Sophomore Build" post. You guys are doing a great job and it has been one of my favorite threads to read. Keep up the great work and make sure you keep us all informed on the project, even after completion!

Brad