587,818 active members*
2,861 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > g203v locks motor, but won't jog....

g203v locks motor, but won't jog....

Hi, I have 2 g201's and recently upgraded my z axis driver to a g203v. When I hooked up the g203v and turned the power on, the motor locked up, but wouldn't jog. The x and y jog fine. I tried switching the step and direction wires with the x axis driver, and now the z axis jog buttons make the x-axis move, so it's not the step and direction wires causing the problem. I have the g203v wired exactly like the other 2 geckos, using the same current set resistor. Any ideas?

201's and 203v's need to be wired differently. On the common terminal on the 201's you should have +5VDC. On the 203V's, this connection needs to be connected to a ground from your parallel port, pins 18 through 25 I think.
    Check to make sure, but they are indeed different in this manner.
    I don't think you hurt the 203's. Just hook that common up to one of the grounds on the PP.
    Lee

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I just assumed they would be the same. I guess that's what I get for assuming.

mxpro32,

If you are using the G203V with Mach3, set STEP as "active high" in "ports and pins".

Mariss

Well, I hooked it up like that and it jogs now, but only in one direction. If I push page up, it does nothing, but if I push page down it moves down. Any idea what this could be? I have the step set to "active high" in mach-3. thanks.

You aren't porting DIRECTION to the drive or you have a wiring error. Set your multimeter to "DC Volts". Put the black lead to the G203V COMMON screwhead, the red lead to the G203V DIRECTION screwhead. Jog CW, then CCW and note the volts on your meter. One reading should be near 0 VDC, the other at 3V to 5V.

Mariss

OK, I tried what you said. One direction gets close to zero volts, the other direction gets 4.6 volts. This is taken at the g203v direction terminal on the screw head. It still only moves in one direction. The direction it moves in is the 0 volt direction. Any more ideas? Thanks.

OK, take the cover off of the drive and check the 2531 optoisolator carefully. It is the only socketed part in the drive and it's nearest the CURRENT SET terminals. Very rarely an optoisolator pin gets bent under the body and doesn't go into the socket. More likely you may have popped the isolator when you had it miss-connected or burned out the LED current limit resistor. You may need to have us replace the opto. Free of charge of course.

Mariss

well I took the cover off, the chip is in the socket, and doesn't have any visual damage.