587,787 active members*
2,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 5 1234
    It appears the recurring theme is the time issue, which is what I found when I investigated it a few years ago.
    If you are a DIY'er and is prepared/afford to spend time on the learning curve then this this may be Ok, but if you are just doing a one-off etc, then you have to weigh the time issue.
    If you call in a professional, then the cost goes up.
    If I can offer an off the shelf package, or one that will integrate the existing servo's/drives, without the extra time of writing G codes, which automatically are included with a integrated package, then this is less time I have to charge, which makes it more cost-effective.
    Most retro-fitters are conversant with Ladder logic and once you have a grasp of most of the concepts, it is not that hard to bridge over to other systems.
    I have used my own PC based/Galil extensively for small sytems most of which are either embeded/stand-alone or have simple operator interface.
    Maybe a poll should be taken for the fastest retrofit.(group)
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

If this was someone's first retrofit and they didn't know ladder or Camsoft I would still recommend they hire someone like us.

I chose Camsoft because it was much cheaper than fanuc and I didn't know ladder logic. Like you say if you have the concepts of ladder logic down than it's probably a toss up time wise. Although Camsoft is still cheaper. About half the price as a fanuc. plus Camsoft gives me a discount now.

I dont how long its been since you used Camsoft but I hadn't ever had to write my G codes unless I want to add or customize some. The cbk file they have in the current version now has plenty of all the common styles already there for many machine types and if I need to customize them I can. something I couldn't do with fanuc.

Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Most retro-fitters are conversant with Ladder logic and once you have a grasp of most of the concepts, it is not that hard to bridge over to other systems.
    I know both. Ladder is easier for a visual person used to reading electrical prints. Written logic (like Camsoft) is easier for folks that have done a bit of computer programming before. Both have a learning curve, there's only a small difference.

The real advantage of Camsoft is the tight integration of the axis control to the logic. For example, turret index Z axis position on my Hardinge CHNC is determined by looking at current part 0 and the longest tool loaded - Why go clear to back of carriage on a small part? Piece of cake in Camsoft, very tuff with a PLC. Many other examples could be given.

Also, communicating a PLC fault to the operator screen can be difficult so this ends up not being done. Pet pieve of mine, nearly all machines are able to tell the operator why its not responding. Most machine controls don't include this programming. A simple example: pressure switch on collet closer not made when operator presses cycle start or start spindle. A good control will tell him why the machine didn't respond and include info on whether its because he forgot to close the collet, the input air pressure is low, or the closer is sticking.

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post

Also, communicating a PLC fault to the operator screen can be difficult so this ends up not being done. Pet pieve of mine, nearly all machines are able to tell the operator why its not responding. Most machine controls don't include this programming. A simple example: pressure switch on collet closer not made when operator presses cycle start or start spindle. A good control will tell him why the machine didn't respond and include info on whether its because he forgot to close the collet, the input air pressure is low, or the closer is sticking.
    Karl
    This can be done with most of the controls I am familiar with.
    Its called Operator Messages and can be generated by monitoring sections of the PLC.
    This is not so much a deficiency in the control as lazyness on the part of the MTB to write them.
    Also many systems now include such things as specialized Tool change instructions which make writing things as complex tool change much easier.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Greetings,
    Nice responses regarding this product.
    I am curious myself --- is Camsoft still charging
    a $500 annual maintenance fee ?
    or maybe I should ask what is the annual fee cost now?
    scott

Yes, and well worth it for the best and fastest support there is.

Karl

Smile

Very good people. They spend time with me. Very smart. They have helped me many times. I get free software every year or when I ask for new routines they give to me. My shop is up to date.

Carlo

Camsoft makes it easy to make neat parts!

I’m a newbee with regards to this forum and there are a ton of really bright people here that have been so very helpful and I’ve been using Camsoft products for a little while. I have made a number of neat billet parts for my truck with their software. Here are a few examples.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BATTERY CLAMP.JPG   MVC-301F.JPG   Focus Logo-1.jpg   MVC-946F.JPG  

DSC03248.jpg   DSC04096.jpg  

Awesome service!

These folks are all about service! They have helped me get my AS3000 cam system up and running when I needed it the most and have always been there to walk me though my lack of computer skills and typically bend over backwards to help beginners like me get back to carving metal in a hurry! Thanks guys!

Carlo

Did you get my private message concerning do a retrofit for a lathe?

Thank You

Sorry I do not log on very often. I have never used the privite message
    feature. I read your message now. I think your machine is to far away for me.

Carlo

moved thread, thanks

Galil: 5-axis machine With CAMSOFT

Quote Originally Posted by camsoft View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Karl, Carlo and Bob. They are noticed.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    (951) 674-8100
    [email protected]
    www.cnccontrols.com
    Alright,
    I'm going to buy CamSoft pro....very soon. Also, I'm going to get the Galil Accelera DMC-4080 (5-axis) controller? Then, we add some servo motors and amps.
    We Get: 5-axis gantry router.....yes, No.......

WHO

Quote Originally Posted by 5S Dude View Post
    These folks are all about service! They have helped me get my AS3000 cam system up and running when I needed it the most and have always been there to walk me though my lack of computer skills and typically bend over backwards to help beginners like me get back to carving metal in a hurry! Thanks guys!
    Are you talking about CamSoft guys????

Quote Originally Posted by 5S Dude View Post
    I’m a newbee with regards to this forum and there are a ton of really bright people here that have been so very helpful and I’ve been using Camsoft products for a little while. I have made a number of neat billet parts for my truck with their software. Here are a few examples.
    What CAD package did you use????

Quote Originally Posted by ratrace2 View Post
    Alright,
    I'm going to buy CamSoft pro....very soon. Also, I'm going to get the Galil Accelera DMC-4080 (5-axis) controller? Then, we add some servo motors and amps.
    We Get: 5-axis gantry router.....yes, No.......
    You might want to talk with Camsoft. I'd look into getting the DMC-1856 accelera instead. Communication between the host and Galil has to be WAY faster over the PCI bus vs. ethernet.

Plan on using WAY more inputs than you're thinking of right now. The Nudaq/adlink cards are a better way to go, much more expandable in the future. I wouldn't even think of less than the 48 I/O PCI 7248 for a simple machine. With this route you can add more I/O by changing to a 7296 or even their 120 I/O card in the future.

Karl

Hello ratrace2,

As pointed out by some of the members there are differences between the DMC 4000 series, Accelra and EtherNet models.

It would be best if you called us so we can go over your application. We will do our best not to over or under quote you. We have specific questions for 5 axis gantry style machines that we would like to ask.

We also offer a full range of AC,DC, Brush,Brushless, PWM and Steppers motors which we will be happy to help you correctly size to fit the application.

Tech Support
    CamSoft Corp.
    [email protected]
    PH 951-674-8100
    Fax 951-674-3110
    www.cnccontrols.com
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cool

Are you talking about CamSoft guys????
    Yep I’m talking about the support folks at CamSoft. They are without a doubt some of the best in the business! I have dealt with a plethora of other companies in the past 27 years and none of them has been able to hold a candle to their service and speed to get us back to production. Give um a try!

What CAD package did you use????
    I use CadKey19 and SolidEdge to do the Design work.

I have purchased a version of the professional cnc software. I'm getting ready to purchase the hardware. I'm wondering how good the AS3000 is. I've played with it a little and it seems very different from what I'm use to using. There are features that I can't use because I only have level 1. I don't know if it would be worth buying aditional levels or just buying a different CAD\CAM system. Any experience that people have with using and designing control would be appreciated. Thanks

Page 2 of 5 1234