587,762 active members*
3,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Whats the most expensive part you've worked on?
Page 3 of 4 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    Gulp!
    I'll second that ""GULP!!!!!!!!!"" and raise you a "WOW!!!!!!!!" Those are the parts that make one go bald in one hour.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

first thought.

I don't think that I would like to be the guy that ruins that park on the last op.

Quote Originally Posted by diarmaid View Post
    Thats a load of s#\@ !!
    we build pumps for s#\@!!, coal, diamond minds, ocean dredge, mineral minds, rock quarrys, etc. etc

If it can be pumped we bulid a pump for it.

Some specs.
    Discharge diameters: 12" to 44"
    Flows: 5,000 to 140,000 GPM
    TDH to 300'+/stage
    Capabilities beyond 12,000 HP

You might want to read a couple posts after the one you referenced.

Thanks William.
    CBNDude I am facinated by the quality and complexity of your machining. Its really amazing that you can make those.
    Please read posts 31 and 34 above. No offence at all in any way was meant.
    As you say. Peace. Keep up the excellent work. I really hope you are not upset by the joke.

Edit: I have changed the text in Post. No 29 to a pleasant compliment instead to avoid further complications.

I do apologize for jumping the gun. And for misunderstanding your comments. Again I am sorry...Peace

Tank transmission for allisons.$60,000 a piece!

Quote Originally Posted by Griner55 View Post
    Tank transmission for allisons.$60,000 a piece!

WOW that sounds nice. Do you have any Pictures?? PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I made a Triple Clutch Disk for a Commins once in a shop called ProTorque. These were a lot of fun to make on a Dainichi Slant BX45 Fanuc 10T. I will try to find my Pictures, but they were not anywhere near $60,000. Maybe only $700-$800.

That Tranny Sounds BIG

:cheers:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Triple Clutch Piston.JPG   Triple Clutch Piston 2.JPG   Triple Clutch Piston 3.JPG  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Ever hear of a "Yankee dryer"? This is a 15 ft. dia. x 15 ft. long high pressure steam heated cylinder mounted on a Crepe wadding paper (tissue) machine. In normal operation it rotates about 112 rpm. (60 miles per hour peripheral or surface speed). During the annual maintainance, the OD is ground to a particular compound curve barrel shape. It takes about ten days to grind the dryer to shape, surface finish and .001" tir or better. Any flaws in the grinding such as deep scratches or chatter etc. must be removed. I supervised a grinding crew in the early 1980's and at that time the replacement of the shell cost $750,000 and another $250,000 to install. When the machine was in operation it produced @ $40,000/hr. The most often heard sentence heard from management was "When are you guys going to be done?"
    DZASTR

A $500 cold rolled fixture...

C'mon, don't laugh of me! I am newbie shop owner and you can hurt my feelings

5 hundo is plenty for a new shop. Don't worry, if you're good at what you do the "big ones" will come. And if you're really good at what you do you'll survive them.....

Just kidding...

:cheers:
    I don't know much about anything but I know a little about everything....

2 jobs tied.
    1" dia 7" overall 6" under head 12pt screws incolel 718 for "naval air warfare center air craft division developed for steam catapults" (quoted from print not giving away who we are or who ordered them from us) $1000 each 100pcs = $100,000

~6" od ~5.25" id ~.5" wide ring gaskets inconel 625 for really big oil parts company $1000 each

Huh...I don't think I've ever machined anything "expensive".

I did have to plug & silver-solder then redrill several $5 fittings for an oil-rig gearbox. Had to reduce the orifice from .135" to 2.8mm (.110"). 5 of them.

The gearbox supplier was the only place in the states that carried the fittings we needed. Wouldn't sell them to us. We ordered some from UK, but they were stuck in Jersey, waiting on inspection & tariffs.

Got the job done in about 2.5 hours. They were hot-shotted down to the rig in 1.5 hours.

The job was given to me on a Monday morning. The rig had been down since the preceding Thursday. At an approximate loss of $15,000 an HOUR.

Let's see here...5 fittings x $5=$25. 2.5 hours x $75/hr(shop rate)=$187.50 for a grand total of $212.50. $15,000/hr x 24 hours x 4 days=$1,440,000 lost revenue.

Makes you wonder why no one in the accounting department at Halliburton or Schlumberger thought ahead to order some simple little $5 fittings.

i don t know what the parts final cost was but the the material alone was a $14,000 chunck if titanium

My most expensive single part was probably a front fan frame for an aircraft enjine. At that time it was the very first investment casted, one piece, Titanium fan frame ever created and it took a year to get. Before that it was all made with weldments. Cost in 1984 dollars was $550,000. Don't know what that's worth in todays dollars though. Next most costly was a 4-12 stage compressor spool complete with all the blades - about $350,000. We had to grind the blade tips at 5000 rpm to simulate operating speed.

Absolute most costly was the time I had to stand a complete jet-engine core assembly up on a tilting rotary table an put one forgotten insturmentation hole into the stator case. This one came in on a Sat with its own entourage of Engineers telling me just how much that thing was worth and "DON'T get any chips inside it". $4 million.

Hmmm... i think one must post the pictures of their work... I can also talk too much...we need some prooooooooooooof... Am i right my dear fellows...

Bluddy helll, we've just got over a confrontation with Vietnam, and now that the Russian bogey has petered out, who are THEY thinking of next to get stuck into?

Seems the thinking is to keep the pot on the boil so that the military will be assured of plenty of practice for the super weapons they're thinking up.

I don't for one momnent think that the "lobster bots" would be used for deep sea mining etc, instead of anticipating a war with whoever is stupid enough to want one.
    Ian.
    PS. this is in reference to post #5 about the lobster mine sweepers.

Dunno about the most expensive job etc, but when I worked in Uk in the early 80's we made the fuel rod loading chambers for Hinkley and Hunterston atomic power plants for the UK atomic energy commission, and the blunt warning was if you stuffed up on any aspect of it you would be taken outside and shot at dawn.
    The chambers weighed about 6 to 8 tons apiece, so it must have cost a fair bob or two.
    Ian.

Hmmm... Handlewanker,,, where do u live right now..- I wana meet with u...

Dont afraid....hehehe

Hi khalid, I promise to be gentle, but meeting is not an option, so you'll have to patient, and if you're really good I'll tell you a bedtime story about my further exploits in making parts for the Concorde.

Every Concorde that has flown has a part that I have personally made for the fuel system.
    Ian.

Page 3 of 4 1234