587,879 active members*
4,003 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: monitor

monitor

Does anyone know where I might get a detailed picture of the inside (top and bottom)of a monitor for a heidenhain tnc151b control. I got a local tv repairman taking a look at it. He said someone else was already in there and didn't want to hook up something wrong and have all the smoke come out of it.

download the manual for the control from the heidenhain website and it will tell you the I/O, but not the guts of the monitor

Already downloaded manual. I was just hoping I might get lucky. It looks like I might have to just scrap the control and retro-fit. I don't want to sink any real money into a 20yr old control.

Depends if you want a project or a machine.

As I have mentioned before, the heidenhain runs inverted hercules graphics, when you hook a old MGA, Hercules[ IBM XT] monitor up to the appropriate pins it will show video but it is inverted[bright background, dark text] with the retrace visible.

The vintage video game guys have widgets to put VGA monitors on old CGA games[pacman etc]. Someone smarter than me could wire up some inverter gates to then make it normal.

There are also widgets to turn MGA to composite video, which I think is the deal in the future, any 100 dollar portable dvd player that had a video in port could be duct taped to the front and off you go.

I think you can get the monitor fixed for ~800 bucks, and be running next week.

It may not be the monitor, there is a video chip that is prone to failure that can be had for like 3 bucks online. If you had a monitor to swap out, you could check to see which it was.

I have yet to be convinced that any retro you could do for sub 5k would give you a superior control to what you have.

Gus....stop telling stories about these heidenhain controls......I think he would be much better to scrap that old 151b and retro the whole thing............sooo......where exactly will you be tossing that old control..? we dont want anyone trippin and hurtin themself....so maybe I should just dispose of it for you.....hows that sound.....:banana: Im so very helpful...gotta love me

new monitor

i have had to replace most monitors on my machines.
    i buy new lcd monitors to replace the old 14in ones.
    i found the best deals at earthlcd.com
    they have everything i have ever needed. i think it was 275$ for
    a brand new 12.1in lcd. bare bones, i had to retrofit. but they can make it however you need it.

re

not heidenhain I would think

Gus thanks for the insight. Machining is just a hobby right now so I am not sure if I want a project or a machine. I guess I will have to do some more research on retrofits and monitors and my bank account to see what way to proceed.

BTW, it is supposed to be the caps that go bad, although I changed some in one of mine and it didn't help