587,424 active members*
3,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > 9 x 19 Help needed with threading

9 x 19 Help needed with threading

Does anyone have a thorough list of what gears are needed for what thread? The cheat sheet mounted to the front of the machine is said to show most "common" threads. Well wouldn't it figure that my first thread I need is a 27 tpi (not on the list).

I bought a HF version used and it was missing all the extra gears but did include the 30 & 60. I was going to order the six missing gears but it seems that I also need to order another 30 and 60 as well as an 80 (for all the feed rate options). Any others I should get for a complete set?

Also, any suggetions for belt replacements? Mid turn today it snapped (grrrr.). Of course HF doesn't stock anything useful (yes I'm bitter) so I'll have to order it. I was going to order all these parts form grizzly as they have the best Online tools (web interface that is). I'm trusting that they are similar enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris64 View Post
    Does anyone have a thorough list of what gears are needed for what thread? The cheat sheet mounted to the front of the machine is said to show most "common" threads. Well wouldn't it figure that my first thread I need is a 27 tpi (not on the list).

I bought a HF version used and it was missing all the extra gears but did include the 30 & 60. I was going to order the six missing gears but it seems that I also need to order another 30 and 60 as well as an 80 (for all the feed rate options). Any others I should get for a complete set?
    Here are a couple of charts that might help out with the gears and threads.

Also, any suggetions for belt replacements? Mid turn today it snapped (grrrr.). Of course HF doesn't stock anything useful (yes I'm bitter) so I'll have to order it. I was going to order all these parts form grizzly as they have the best Online tools (web interface that is). I'm trusting that they are similar enough.
    I would suggest checking with a local bearing house. Sometimes you can get them for a lot better price plus no shipping.

Alan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks so much. That chart is great!

I have a Grainger not too far from here I may try. Thanks again.

As to the belts, Gates Polyflex belts, size 5m710 or 5m730.
    About $7.50 from http://www.ebatmus.com/index.html
    Search on the size you want by part number.

As for cutting threads, might I suggest a cnc conversion? That way you don't need gears to cut ANY thread you want. Just the thread data!!

Quote Originally Posted by jhowelb View Post

As for cutting threads, might I suggest a cnc conversion? That way you don't need gears to cut ANY thread you want. Just the thread data!!
    That price sounds good - I could buy 3 for the same price.

I absolutely want to convert to CNC. Manual is way to much of a pain...gear changes aside, you still have to count turns etc.

This machine is not what I want to convert. I'm working on picking up an old Clausing that doesn't have metric. It's in good shape and way more sturdy.

The funny thing is that I actually had this machine up for sale but I needed one thing turned & threaded...wouldn't you know it would break. It's OK, too many people were hesitant about buying it without the gears...I'll get more for it buying the gears and charging more for the whole package.

Got the belt last week. Quick delivery...I like it!

...but...

When I bought it online it didn't specify anything about shipping charges at all...hmmmmm (It did say "Shipping FOB" - but I'm not sure what "freight on board" really translates to). When the part arrived it showed up in a box big enough for to hold a 12 pack...seriously. This little tiny part that could have fit in a legal envelope was swimming in this big box...weird right? Well, yesterday I get the actual invoice for what I was billed. $6 handling fee for web transactions and $11 for shipping! The part that really bothers me is that the website never made any mention of these additional charges. I understand that shipping is basically a "variable", but the $6 "web" fee shouldn't be too hard to display.

So this $7 belt ended up costing $24.51...oh yea...and it broke immediately after I turned it on. I ordered the 710 as it appeared most people used that size but obviously I needed the 730. Not their fault, I know - but it does add fuel to my frustration.

AND...This invoice arrived just moments after I ordered 3 more.

Sorry for the rant...I just thought I should warn other who might think they were getting a steal deal on these belts.

F.O.B. is actually "Free On Board". Meaning somebody else pays, not the shipper.
    Sometimes we learn through the school of hard knocks.
    DJ

Quote Originally Posted by DJPLAST View Post
    F.O.B. is actually "Free On Board". Meaning somebody else pays, not the shipper.
    DJ
    Or we read warnings from others...

Quote Originally Posted by DJPLAST View Post
    DJ
    FOB or Freight On Board means that your straight bill of laiding starts at the address specified, tyipically a zip code. It basically means you are liable for charges due to the bills drop point from the freight company. FOB is normally reserved for items which are odd in size or shape which would not be handled in a parcel manor. FOB does not mean you will or will not pay a handling charge at the shippers location such as palleting or handling which may be included in the purchase price quoted(typical) and normally means they will handle loading. FOB basically gives the purcharser an idea of were its starting at so they can arrange for shipping and/or a broker to find shipper. Its odd to see that on something that would be sent parcel, its probably just a generic listing they use in there shipping area.
    Personally I would not deal with any company that charges me to use the web, esp since they are no longer needed some person to answer the phone. If anythig I would expect to have a web special, and pay less.
    I would just cancel the order and tell them to shove the charges up there tailstock. Your CC should back you up if they did not properly state charges.
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by in2steam View Post
    .....I would just cancel the order and tell them to shove the charges up there tailstock. Your CC should back you up if they did not properly state charges....chris
    Be careful doing this; you ordered and you accepted delivery on a shipment that was identified as being FOB the suppliers address. The parts delivered were what you ordered. It is too late to cancel.

Look at it this way...the lesson was not too expensive. Maybe four Grande Lattes at Starbucks so you go without your coffee fix for a bit less than a week .
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

It seems I've created a stir, sorry about that.
    My experience with ebatmus.com was completely different. I wasn't charged any "special" fee but I ordered 12, not just one belt as you did. Maybe the volume of order has some bearing.

On the other hand, another web source wants $27.00 per belt. And one wouldn't even respond when to me when they shipped the wrong width belt.

I guess it's as Popeye says " you pays your money and takes your chances".
    So much for helping some one with a source.

Sorry!

It seems I've created a stir, sorry about that.
    My experience with ebatmus.com was completely different. I wasn't charged any "special" fee but I ordered 12, not just one belt as you did. Maybe the volume of order has some bearing.

On the other hand, another web source wants $27.00 per belt. And one wouldn't even respond when to me when they shipped the wrong width belt.

I guess it's as Popeye says " you pays your money and takes your chances".
    So much for helping some one with a source.

Sorry!
    Don't be sorry...they were legit and sold me what I asked for. Their price beat out any of the other sources I saw ($17.49 including shipping - http://bedair.org/Shifter/Belt.html was the second lowest - in my case for 1 it would have been cheaper, but not for 3).

It's really not that much money. I felt it was a little deceptive - and quite honestly - risky on their part (potentially must deal with CC disputes). Geof mentioned that I agreed to the terms - but that's just it - I didn't. I agreed to $7 (and change) with an "implied" shipping charge based on the shipping carrier selected (UPS ground) and the text "shipping FOB". It made no mention of any type of handling or "web" fee's at all (not to even mention why would web cost more?). Plus, to send something the size of a large rubber band in a box big enough to hold a cinder block didn't make anything cheaper for me.

I wrote them a letter to please ship it in a letter or bubble package so it's cheaper this time and that the "web" fee is a little deceptive. I'll keep you posted on the outcome/response.

Thats exactly it, there was no fee implied so your cc could back you up, I do alot of purchasing with the CC and have had similiar instances, I make the threat first if that does not get a response from the supplier I call the CC. Yes a few dollars is not worth worrying about, untill you have to acount for it at work. Charging a fee that is not stated or qouted is basicaly mail fraud, FOB is an outside the door indication and has nothing to do with supplier, that said they cannot just add fees without repsect to your total on an invoice that was qouted. Now if you agreed to an invoice were it was added before the CC payment and shipment you may have a problem(such as a check out like at enco), but if you did not recieve a invoice untill post shipment then you have alot of ground to stand on. To relate I have had a certain supplier of my bolts tack on a $50 svc fee of unkown purpose, in the end after finding out that they had ordered my bolts overnight and were passing the fee onto me, I said I never asked to have that done it was just stock. I know with many years of supplier side knowledge that the only way they were getting the bolts in question was to order them overnight otherwise they would not be come off back order untill a amount that suited that wholesaler was reached in there stock. Long story short is that they tried to make me pay for several thousands of bolts worth of shipping(most likely for other customers also) wereas my shippment was only 100 or so. The company after several phone calls said that that was there policy, and I said thats nice, I called the CC back charged them for it esp since it was never shipped to me overnight anyway, boxed up there bolts sent them back and never ordered a part from then again. I also find that with CC companys that often only call the dispute in and don't really take the money back from the other party, unless a problem develops, it keeps everyone happy. This I have learned at my part time job driving a tow truck, people often try and reverse the charges on what we call police ordered tows(parking zones and such), sometimes they get the money back and we are never called to dispute it, I think they just write it off as a loss.

chris