587,591 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > What is the best 3D CAM Software?

View Poll Results: What is the best 3D CAM software?

Voters
577. You may not vote on this poll
  • Catia

85 14.73%
  • Cimatron

37 6.41%
  • Esprit

47 8.15%
  • Mastercam

289 50.09%
  • One CNC

49 8.49%
  • Surfcam

70 12.13%
Page 7 of 27 5678917
    What about feature cam

Quote Originally Posted by DryRun View Post
    What about feature cam
    Do you use it or want information about it?

Personally I haven't seen it but plenty of others have. Maybe they will chime in

BTW: Part Maker isn't listed either. It is possible that the thread starter only wanted input on the softwares listed in the poll.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

If you wanna do hardcore 3D- and multi-axis milling and drilling, don't even consider EdgeCam - it's way too limited.
    HYPERMILL is your answer!! - extremely sophisticated

best CAM

Hi, still think you are missing the point. you may consider hyper&&&& the best and edge%%%% not so good, but when you have the demo make sure you get it in writing from the salesperson just what you will get and which toolpaths are added extra bucks. i have been to so many shops where the engineer looks at the amount of toolpath types with WorkNC and says "yep" my system has those, thought i had bought them, but when you press the icon the good old message pops up " you do not have a license for this toolpath" or similar.

My opening line is always, "what you see today is what you get", nothing hidden or extra, unless i tell you so. and that includes the postprocessor

cam software

Does anyone use UGS NX CAM? If so how do they like it?

Star, I've used UG/NX CAM since UGV6 (circa 1986), and I love it. (but, I'm biased )
    My weakness in the debate is I haven't really "used" any other CAM software. I've tinkered around with a few, and seen a bunch more, but not enough to say if they are really "better".

I see 3 questions in the main post:
    What is the best 3D CAM Software? (totally subjective. No right answer, in general)
    probably better stated: What 3D CAM software do you like the best?
    What is the most powerful 3D CAM software?
    What is the easiest to use 3D CAM software?

If you combine the last 2, which you have seemingly done, then you end up with a mutually exclusive, or ambiguous question. By making a CAM package more 'powerful', or robust, you have to add lots of features which makes it more difficult to learn. (and more expensive.)

The first shop I worked in had a big sign on the wall, "Fast, Cheap, or Accurate. Pick 2!"

Since everyone's requirements are different, the best you're going to get here is, "What do you use?", or "What do you like?"
    Maybe that's what you were shooting for?
    don't get me wrong. It's a great discussion. I learned a lot reading through it.

Be Well

Nice thread

Quote Originally Posted by Brewmeister View Post

The first shop I worked in had a big sign on the wall, "Fast, Cheap, or Accurate. Pick 2!"
    I have to agree with this statement, in fact I like it a lot. One thing is for sure though, just because something is expensive doesn't mean its better. Every good cad/cam software has the potential to crow about something. The stronger packages do have a lot to learn, that's where the power and user control come in at. The better ones don't make you redo the grunt work with every job. I have a friend who uses Surfcam, its good stuff, right? He told me he programs every electrode procedure by procedure. I am sure it has some ability to remember your strategies from the 5 million you did before but he doesn't know how to set this function up. In Cimatron we would call them templates, I know some software's call them macros, and so on. When I started using these in Cimatron 6 years ago I was very intimidated by them, so many variables to setup (what I mean is I had to define good strategies to use) and learning how to apply them without going too deep with them. There is a lot of though that goes into making your software work for you. I have enjoyed this thread, I just like software buttons a lot... I know what a few of them do in Cimatron.

Danny

Another opinion/question

I started with Shopcam 2-1/2D software.One thing I have noticed is that the more power the program has, it seems the there is more involved just to do the simple stuff. Maybe just me.

I have done a lot of mold work with MC9. Starting to learn MCX. Definitely some improvement over MC9, but another learning curve since some components were removed or combined. Also have been using Solidworks. SW does have some power in applications that MC keeps getting error messages, so lately I have been bouncing between the three to get certain things done.

Also played with OneCNC. Seemed easy to use. I usually rate a software on its ease of use if I can click around and actually accomplish something with out looking at the help menu.

Another software I want to check into lately is VISI. I have heard it is a good software for mold work. Any opinions on this one?

Bet regards,
    Richard

you are thinking of checking out Visi,, have you considered Cimatron, this differs to most because it has a perfect surface/solid interface and better than most there is a feature tree for changing features you placed in the mould, and with the integration you can even pull electrodes and complet ALL NC operations with ease

I think Delcam soft ware for milling named Power mill is exellent in milling process it is really userfrindly CNC milling software.
    But Edge cam is really powerful soft ware too I like it becuase you could manage all manufacturing process and Editing on it just by clicking on browser and it is really powerfull in 2 1/2 machining I use it for 6 years like as Power mill you could make your sample machine in it you could use it for your workshop for CNC lathes and Milling or Wire Erosion Programing too

R.kamyab

For 3d and 5 axis work,delcam powermill will knock spots off the competition.But when it comes to 2d work its garbage

Didn't Delcam buy out Feature Mill? wouldn't that help their 2-1/2 axis stuff? Or is that another module you have to buy from them? I would think if you bought the flagship 3-d stuff it would include the best they had for 2-1/2 axis work as well.

Danny

ok, i'm gonna jump in here, i've been playing around and making a few parts here and there all 2-1/2d so far, but i'm developing a definate need for full 3d and possably adding 4th axis.. but i'm just a guy with a garage and cant afford the huge chunk of money for something like mastercam or rhinocam, i have an older version of rhino, and was considering an upgrade, but here again thats like 400 bucks... so.... what can a guy get, and what kinda prices am i looking at.. i've seen and play'd around with mastercam, as far as 2-1/2 and i was very impressed, i especially liked the simulation part..

suggestions? i can take some time to learn, and clunky interfaces dont scare me, i just look at it as part of the learning curve....
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Hi Danny

flagship 3-d ?????
    I don't know any thing about this
    could you tell more?

Quote Originally Posted by kamyabzahedi View Post
    Hi Danny

flagship 3-d ?????
    I don't know any thing about this
    could you tell more?

Flagship was just generic term, just saying that if you were buying 3-d it would be higher up the ladder and that the 2-1/2 axis would come with it. Not that they offer "flagship" as a trade name for any of their software.

Danny

What about Camtool? Its one of the best high-end cam software available... but its hard to learn! I vote Cam-Tool !!!(nuts)
    But Mastercam is more user friendly and easier to learn. I like em boff

Quote Originally Posted by project5k View Post
    ok, i'm gonna jump in here, i've been playing around and making a few parts here and there all 2-1/2d so far, but i'm developing a definate need for full 3d and possably adding 4th axis.. but i'm just a guy with a garage and cant afford the huge chunk of money for something like mastercam or rhinocam, i have an older version of rhino, and was considering an upgrade, but here again thats like 400 bucks...

[I can do a bit better than that...]

so.... what can a guy get, and what kinda prices am i looking at.. i've seen and play'd around with mastercam, as far as 2-1/2 and i was very impressed, i especially liked the simulation part..

[If $400 scares you, you don't want to hear what MasterCAM costs.]

suggestions? i can take some time to learn, and clunky interfaces dont scare me, i just look at it as part of the learning curve....
    [My favorite 3d modeling application is from Sensable Technology. For organic modeling, it can't be beat. This hardware/software system allows you to actually feel your model through its force-feedback stylus as you work on it in real time - spooky-cool! While it's not cheap, it comes in under MasterCAM, for what that's worth. Along with a CAM program like VisualMill, it can make a lot of things possible - even easy- that you wouldn't have thought could be done at all, and still come in at less than a seat of MasterCAM.]

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

EXAPT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting thread. Funny no one here ever mention the DE-FACTO 5 axis aerospace milling software in the industry: NCL by N.C.C.S. Parametric with ABSOLUTE tool control.

Prolly because it's not very well liked.

In fact, I'd venture to guess it's NOT the De-Facto 5 axis software.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 7 of 27 5678917