587,083 active members*
2,791 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > G-Code Programing > Programming with conditionals and inputs/outputs (URGENT)

Programming with conditionals and inputs/outputs (URGENT)

Hey guys, I have a problem.

I was assigned to do a project that involves using a CNC Machine to communicate with another device (specifically, a robotic arm).

Currently, my knowledge on CNC programming is limited to G-codes and part programming, and I have absolutely no idea how to do this.

If it's helpful, the CNC machine I'm working on is the EMCO Concept Turn 55, and I believe the software we're using is Sinumerik 840D. The hardware part of this is pretty much taken care of, for now. I was already shown the I/O ports of the machine, and have found that an LED indicator lights up when an input port receives a signal. My problem right now is how to program the machine to react to that signal.

A quick search in the forums yields some information on macro/parametric programming, and I think that might be what I'm looking for. I have a few questions:

1) Are there conditional statements in parametric programming, such as IF...ELSE?

2) Is there any way to detect a signal from another device? I would like to do something along the lines of "IF signal detected THEN start machining"

3) Is there any way to output a signal?

I would also greatly appreciate it if you guys could show me any relevant resources online..

Thanks in advance.

Nilimpa,

Try this site. It contains all of the manuals for the 840D control. We have a Matsuura here with and 840DI control but I've never done any interfacing like this before.

The Sinumerik Macro does contain an IF... ELSE statement.
    As for #2 & #3 - I'm sure ther is a way to do it but I'm not sure how. Hopfully one of these manuals will help.

http://www.automation.siemens.com/do...07_e&scope=all

JK

070910-2122 EST USA

In a HAAS control there are M codes to work with ddiscrete inputs and outputs.

See the on-line HAAS manual for mills. M51 to turn on a relay, M61 to turn off the M51 relay. Additional codes for other relays.

M96 Is a conditional loop branch dependent upon on the state of a discrete input.

Go to www.haascnc.com

There also #-addresses relating to the discrete signals. Like #1000-#1031 for 32 inputs, and #1100-#1131 for outputs. To work with the #-addresses you need MACROS.

Yes, parametric/macro programming uses If and While conditional statements, but it's not something you can learn overnight.

070922-1042 EST USA

nilimpa:

Did you ever solve your problem?