587,917 active members*
3,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: How Long/RPM

How Long/RPM

Just started running some 3d parts for the first time. I'm beginning to realize the lengthy machine times involved.
    Q. How long would you be prepared to run your machine at high RPM s. We have a VF1 with a 10K spindle.

Thanks
    J

Quote Originally Posted by skydivebase View Post
    Just started running some 3d parts for the first time. I'm beginning to realize the lengthy machine times involved.
    Q. How long would you be prepared to run your machine at high RPM s. We have a VF1 with a 10K spindle.

Thanks
    J
    This question was asked in the "Answer Man" page in the Haas CNC magazine. You could probably find the answer if you went to www.Haascnc.com and found the back copies of the machine but I recall that the answer was; up to 100% load...indefinitely, 120% load...30 minutes; 150% load...10 minutes.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

That would be duty cycle. I think he's asking about how long is it permissable to run at max RPM.
    My rule of thumb is, I warm my spindles in the morning nad then put them to work. If you properly warm the spindle, and there is a noce warm up program on the Haas site, you should be able to run max speed all day. I run my mills at or near max rpm all day (12 to 18 hours a day) 7 days a week. No issues. But I DO properly warm them up.
    I do a lot of 3d machining. some of those programs can run 30 hrs or more...
    I've not had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    That would be duty cycle. I think he's asking about how long is it permissable to run at max RPM.....
    Yes I did not explicitly say this was for full rpm on a 10k spindle.

Your point about warming up is very important. I have a couple of 15k machines which get warmed up morning and late afternoon on the days that they are not in use. I learnt the lesson one time when the warm up cycle was run after a ten day period and the spindle finished up too hot to touch.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Cool

Yes I was more concerned about max RPM more than Load.
    Thanks for your input.

Can someone post the warm up program/post the link.

Thanks
    J

Found it

I got the warm up program from the Haas site.

J