587,913 active members*
3,755 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Sold the Fadal got a new VF-2
Page 3 of 4 1234
    Sorry to hear that you had all that trouble. I think I experienced some of those glitches at a Shop. The G84 RH Tapping instead of just tapping a 1/4-20 it went in fine and on the retract reduced it's spindle speed too much and broke the tap. The next one started hunting for it's origin (M19), found it, then turned the spindle off on entry and turned it back on at exit. The machine had some issues, mostly mental, lol. The worst one was a wrong tool pickup. For some reason the machine pickedup T3 went to the reference point, returned home (without a G91G28Z0) took another tool T6 and went to go to Town on my part. Bad Machine, Real Bad. The shop supervisor was lucky that I was close to the machine. No one wants a 2.0 diameter Shell Mill to Drill #7 holes with.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

With regards to my lack of optimism expressed in Post 36, questioned in Post 39 and explained in Post 40 my new VF2 was installed today and is currently sitting out there flashing a red light with alarm 178 'divide by zero' and the instruction to contact my dealer. I know divide by zero is a bad idea in programming, pity the Haas programmers are not privy to this information!

EDIT

Took out tool compensation commands and the machine runs. So now I limit my criticism to those programmers responsible the tool comp algorithms.

Good job my head can still calculate tool comp at least I can work around with simple programs.

Well, it could be worse.....right?

Have one of these :cheers: and call back in the Morning
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post

Well, it could be worse.....right?

Have one of these :cheers: and call back in the Morning
    Yeah, I will.

This time last week one of the other VF2s had the tool holder run into a block of aluminum and broke the drive belt with no other damage. So you are correct things could be worse.

Was that a software glitch or operator error?

Quote Originally Posted by Edster View Post
    Was that a software glitch or operator error?
    Both. I was just about to come back and say that the local tech and also Haas in Oxnard responded very quickly. I had the tool comp lead in exactly the size of the tool radius but the error message it gave was 'Divide by zero'. I put the program on another VF2 and it ran okay. The Haas guy agreed that the error message is wrong and they will correct the software.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    This time last week one of the other VF2s had the tool holder run into a block of aluminum and broke the drive belt with no other damage. So you are correct things could be worse.

Geof,

If you keep having these problems with HAAS Machines, why on earth do you keep buying them??????
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    Geof, If you keep having these problems with HAAS Machines, why on earth do you keep buying them??????
    I don't consider it the fault of the machine if someone runs a tool into the workpiece on a G00 at almost 10,000 rpm under full spindle acceleration. Nor do I blame the machine when the only damage is a broken drive belt.

My experience with Haas machines, the local dealers service and also service from Haas in Oxnard has been very good and for what we make the machines are a more sensible business investment than more expensive machines. My VF0 did five years (137,000+ tool changes) and the only maintence was to replace a connector that rattled loose. One of my SL10s has done over four years (1,000,000 tool changes) without needing any mechanical maintenance outside some fixes under warranty. My 1995 HL1 has not needed anything done since 1999 when I bought it with a faulty X servo amp which was fixed for $450.00. I could go one but people might get the idea I am happy with Haas machines.

Hey nervis1, Nice machine!

USB port usage

Does anyone know if the Haas USB port can be used for wirelsss networking and or machine tool monitering? Also, what is the ethernet connection capible of? Is the ethernet an oprion?

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I don't consider it the fault of the machine if someone runs a tool into the workpiece on a G00 at almost 10,000 rpm under full spindle acceleration. Nor do I blame the machine when the only damage is a broken drive belt.
    Definately not the Machines Fault. You seemed to have left that out of the post before.

As long as a Machine is taken care of it will last a long time. In most cases (98%) it is the Users Fault.

Keep up the good work
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Does anyone know when the new control came out? I have ran haas machines from early 2006 and it doesnt look that sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Reamer View Post
    Does anyone know when the new control came out? I have ran haas machines from early 2006 and it doesnt look that sweet.
    After June 2006 and before Nervis got his machine. I bought a VF2 in June with the small LCD screen.

When I was IMTS I was told the "new" control was new just before IMTS. Also, I noticed the "NEW" control is slower to refresh and update with all those pretty graphics. I seem to like the old orange display of doom on my new works HS1 best. I ran a SuperMM for a year at another place that had the LCD control. That machine has been fantastic and our service was great the one time we needed it. The SMM was shiny and new when I went there and I put every hour on it it currently has. I have had no issues and honestly I must say it has performed well. Personally if I had the choise I would opt for the smaller LCD control that was current just before this new one came out. I know that one works. Im sure your Vf2 will work fine, I only wish I could afford to buy a MM or something for my home use. One day.....
    Phil

Geof,
    Tell me of your SL10, any regrets? Do you have a wretched servo bar on it or something that works? Would you buy one again? Do you feel since its cost is close to a SL20 that it would be worth getting the larger machine? Do you use it with a collet closer or a chuck? Are the spool up times horrible with the chuck if applicable?

No refresh problems, the G code runs by so fast you can't read it when i'm doing a 3d program.

The screen is real easy on the eyes, hard to believe you would want one twice as small, makes no sense.

nervis1,
    Not trying to be a jerk or anything but unless they changed the control since IMTS where I was able to use it. There is noticable lag between screens that is just not there in the older control. Twice as small come on? Is the new monitor not 15"? Are you implying that the monitor on the old machine is 7.5". I would wager the oldest one is 12" but who cares anyways. Besides as I said im totally fine with the color lcd that was out previous to the control you have. The one pictured below
    http://www.haascnc.com/MAIN_HaasControl.asp#haascontrol
    Phil

So Nervis1, now that you have had the machine awhile how do you like the washdown nozzles? Specifically the one aimed at the chip screen.

I am getting tired of that thing plugging up and am thinking of adding a manifold and nozzle similar to what you have. I also notice that it looks like your chip screen is half again as big as mine.

I know USShop tools sells that rotating thing, but that just looks like one more thing to wear out. I like the idea of just using a bit more coolant.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by nervis1 View Post
    The USBis what you get when you order the floppy option, instead of a floppy, the floppy is gone.

You can DNC from it but I have 16 megs, no real need to.

The price....all of the prices are on Haas website, you can take off 2500 for the "value option" package "C" which is the auger, programable coolant, M19, remote jog handle, scaling and rotation, visual quick code, macros. Add 10k spindle, 16 megs, and you have the price I paid.

2 Things the USB is a standard so if your HFO charged you they scammed you on that one. Also why would you go with a C package I know Haas offers 4 VOP packages A B C and D all in all the B and the D are the best bang fo your buck

VOP B Chip Auger, Programmable Coolant Nozzle, Coordinate Rotation & Scaling, Intutive Programming, 4th axis drive and wiring, Remote Jog Handle, and Macros $10,843 worth of options for $7,495

VOP D Chip Auger, Programmable Coolant Nozzle, Coordinate Rotation & Scaling, Intutive Programming, 4th axis drive and Wiring, Remote Jog Handle, Macro, Side Mount Tool Changer 24+1 Tools, High Speed Machining, Visual Quick Code Probing System which includes TS27R Tool Setter and OMP-40 Spindle Probe $25,288 worth of options for $15,995

The VOP D is only $4,000 more that the C package and you get the HSM and Probing its a no brainer!

Hi Nervis
    Sweet unit. Now when you find something to make, and you realize you have found too much to make, why gimme a call.
    I've basically done the same thing only my VF-2 is a ragged old '96 model.
    It's in my brothers shop at his house and looks very impresive atop the painted floor, but finding work has proven to be tough. We thought the online quote sits were going to be the ticket but no such luck, and deep in the heart of ol miss-sippi there jest aint much adoo fer a cnc shop.
    Best of luck anyway.

steve:cheers:

Washdown hose over the chip screen....worthless. Got to get in there about every hour and clean it off or the coolant backs up.

Jobs. Not a problem until recently. We had so much work that we were subbing it out.

My partner and I decided to split, so I'm on my own and things will calm down a lot as he was the one with all of the business connections. No big deal as I'm not dependent on any income from my little machine shop. It can sit for the next five years far as I'm concerned I am not going to pursue any work. I'll just make cool stuff on it now and again. It was a hobby and looks like it will stay that way. Still need to get a CNC lathe in there.

Page 3 of 4 1234