587,698 active members*
3,516 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)

Hybrid View

I had at the back of my mind a figure of 15% solids in liquid( might be the other way round 15% liquid in solids) becomes too thick to stir, and that this was a general observation of whatever the mixture was. I thought it was in that book. The example of quicksand was cited.
    John
    ps thanks for the Habbakuk link
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    I had at the back of my mind a figure of 15% solids in liquid( might be the other way round 15% liquid in solids) becomes too thick to stir, and that this was a general observation of whatever the mixture was. I thought it was in that book. The example of quicksand was cited.
    John
    Okay I read in a bit more detail (my machine is still boring holes so I am also being productive.) I was wrong about the 6%, Gordon says anything above 2% fibers in water becomes too thick to pump. Above this you have to go the fiberglas route; pack the fibers as tight as possible then saturate them as much as possible with the resin.

But non of this is directly applicable to the epoxy aggregate situation. And so far quicksand has not bubbled up.