587,098 active members*
5,948 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Epoxy Granite > Epoxy-Granite machine bases (was Polymer concrete frame?)

Hybrid View

For vibrating a large mass during vacuum de-bubbling, very sharp high-amplitude low-frequency shocks and varying harmonics perform better than anything else.
    This is a high-falutin' way of saying we whack the form with a metal bar a lot while it is under vacuum on a spring-loaded table.

Martin, I think you're pretty close. The E/G countertops are 'pressed' into their final shape and not 'sucked'. I'm sure there is vacuuming and vibrating but the presses are definitely there.

Article in post #634:

"At the time of production, the quartz and a very small amount of resin and color pigment are mixed until thoroughly combined and then poured into a large tray with a paper liner.
    Once the mold is filled, it is moved to the vibrocompaction area, where massive presses squeeze the material to roughly half its original thickness. At the same time, a vacuum is applied and the mold vibrated to evacuate the air."

Quote Originally Posted by walter View Post
    Martin, I think you're pretty close. The E/G countertops are 'pressed' into their final shape and not 'sucked'. I'm sure there is vacuuming and vibrating but the presses are definitely there.

Article in post #634:

"At the time of production, the quartz and a very small amount of resin and color pigment are mixed until thoroughly combined and then poured into a large tray with a paper liner.
    Once the mold is filled, it is moved to the vibrocompaction area, where massive presses squeeze the material to roughly half its original thickness. At the same time, a vacuum is applied and the mold vibrated to evacuate the air."
    Dear Walter,

I should have spotted that earlier.Sorry.

Anyway, what have we got here?

Crystals, vibrators industrial, vibrators personal, loud music to be played at the formwork, stuff that looks like cigarette smoke. Even "sporty stuff"

Looks like a hell of a party.

Best wishes,

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by martinw View Post
    Dear Walter,

Anyway, what have we got here?

Crystals, vibrators industrial, vibrators personal, loud music to be played at the formwork, stuff that looks like cigarette smoke. Even "sporty stuff"

Looks like a hell of a party.

Best wishes,

Martin
    The life of a DIY hobbyist. Always intriguing. With experiments the solutions will come thats for sure.
    Pity someone specific went quiet.:stickpoke he must be partying :cheers: thinking we are :drowning: ? But not Yet!

Quote ......Once the mold is filled, it is moved to the vibrocompaction area, where massive presses squeeze the material to roughly half its original thickness. At the same time, a vacuum is applied and the mold vibrated to evacuate the air."......
    unquote

There has been a number of posts about vac/pressure, possibly started from the original posting partially quote above.

On my reading of it, the press in merely a mechanical press not air pressure in the mould.
    So you have pressure and vacuum.
    Regards
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.