Hi how’s it going. I was wondering if someone could help me figure out a way to lock/break a 300v spindle motor I have so that I can calibrate an encoder I’m putting on it? Looking at the directions for the encoder I bought it says to energize the motors phase 1 wire with positive voltage and ground the phase 2 wire but leave the phase 3 wire disconnected. (This should make the motor rotate slightly and stay fixed at angle of rotation) Then im suppose to send the encoder the set as zero command which will digitally set the rising edge of ‘U’ and the ‘Z’ index to the current angular position and save the position stored in its nonvolatile memory. That should calibrate the encoder to work perfect with the motor.

Essentially I am converting spindle to be a servo spindle by removing the hall sensor and replacing it with a encoder. (The way it is configured now is to be controlled using PWM and Im going to change it to use step/dir)

The problem though is the motor I have doesn’t have a lot of information available other than on the side of it saying 300v, 1100W, 4.7A. I also don’t have a variable power supply that I can slowly increase power on till the motor stays locked in position. Is there a way I can just put a bunch of double AA batteries in series till I get enough power going on Phase 1 and Phase 2 wires till the motor holds the position? Or how much power should I be connecting to the wires on this kind of motor?

Motor I have is a 300V BLDC
Encoder I have is AMT312Q (By CUI Devices)

Eventually the goal is to have nice spindle motor with encoder and connects to a Ultra3000 driver and controlled using a Mesa 7i96s control board running LinuxCNC

Anyways wats a good way to energize the two wires and not burn up any windings? Thanks