587,467 active members*
4,333 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Delta ASD-A2-1521-L Drive with existing AC Servo. Which Encoder to buy

Delta ASD-A2-1521-L Drive with existing AC Servo. Which Encoder to buy

Hi,
    have a perfectly working Delta ASD-A2-1521-L 1,5 KW Servo Drive without the Motor ( Delta ECMA-E21315 would be the match). And I have a perfectly working SEM AC Servo Motor 1.5 KW I would like to use. The Delta Manual states, that a 17bit or a 20bit Encoder is used in their motors. I opened the Encoder Connector and it has 4 Wires from the missing Delta Motor/Encoder still connected (white/blue/green/black). Since I refitted some AC Servos with incremental Encoders (ABZ+/- and UVW+/- and VCC/GND) and they are still working as supposed to :-) I would like to do this Encoder Swap to have a fit for the Delta Drive as well. But the World of Encoders is a little confusing for me. Do you have any advice for me, which Encoder to use (aftermarket or Delta OEM)?
    Thanks

Re: Delta ASD-A2-1521-L Drive with existing AC Servo. Which Encoder to buy

Hi,
    I think you'll find the Delta encoders are serially connected, and thus effectively proprietary to Delta.

You would need a Delta encoder or the drive would not be able to read it.

Craig

Hi,
    the Delta A2 drive has a secondary encoder which is conventional incremental....but it can close the position loop only. The servo drive requires the primary
    17 bit or 20 bit encoder directly attached to the shaft of the servo in order to enact the Field Oriented Control algorithm. Without the primary encoder you're buggered.

I think you'd be better off getting either a genuine Delta A2 servo OR a genuine SEM drive.

The likelyhood is that if you try and adapt them together you'll end up with no result and worse, now a useless drive and a useless servo.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    the Delta A2 drive has a secondary encoder which is conventional incremental....but it can close the position loop only. The servo drive requires the primary
    17 bit or 20 bit encoder directly attached to the shaft of the servo in order to enact the Field Oriented Control algorithm. Without the primary encoder you're buggered.

I think you'd be better off getting either a genuine Delta A2 servo OR a genuine SEM drive.

The likelyhood is that if you try and adapt them together you'll end up with no result and worse, now a useless drive and a useless servo.

Craig
    Hi Craig,
    thanks for your advice! Before I give up and buy a servo or a SEM Drive I would like to try to get a Delta Encoder. But I can't find any Info, which one is built in the recommended Delta Servo Motor. Isn't there a spare parts list for repair of those motors? The 1.5 Kw Delta Motor is around 600$....
    Thanks
    Karl

Hi,
    I've never seen any material on Deltas encoders, I suspect they are proprietary, but I don't know.

I have dealt with this company for some years and have my confidence. It is certainly worth emailing them to find if an encoder is a spare part. This is their offering of a 1.5kW Delta servo:

https://www.fasttobuy.com/ecmae21315...nc_p32417.html

Craig

Hi,
    I did my homework:-) Unfortunately it is more complicated than I expected! I simply bought a cheap ECMA 750W Motor assuming, that I could get the information about the used encoder. It came lightning fast from Korea. The Encoder used is a NH4- 17LS65CZT which is a 17bit encoder. This encoder is used imho in all 17bit ECMA Servos. If it is a NH4-20xxxxxxx I assume it is a 20bit encoder. Ok, now I connected the Encoder of the 750W (B2,A2 or whatever...) to my ASDA A2 1.5 KW Drive. And guess what, it gives me a Alarm 004. This Alarm is for a motor combination error, the drive corresponds to the wrong motor (I didn't connect UVW of the motor at all). The ASDA A2 manual states that a ECMA-C20807xx Motor is working with a ASDA-A2-0721xx 750W drive. I have a ASDA-A2-1521xx 1.5KW Drive! So, the encoder is obviously programmed in its firmware for a specific Drive. It shows the drive not only the position of the motor, but the specs of the motor as well. Probably that is up to date but pretty annoying! Why isn't it possible to program the Motor parameters as in most drives to use a more powerfull drive for a smaller Motor? In case of damage to the encoder, I need to buy a preprogrammed encoder for a specific motor type. I will search and buy a used Granite Device Argon Drive and leave the Delta stuff alone. It is a pitty, since the software they are providing is very nice and informative for tuning puposes. I hope it gives a little Information for whatever it is needed.
    Thanks
    Karl

Hi,
    how does a Granite Drive compare to a new Delta 1.5kW servo? If the Granite drive is more than $374 then the servo is better value.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    how does a Granite Drive compare to a new Delta 1.5kW servo? If the Granite drive is more than $374 then the servo is better value.

Craig
    Hi Craig,
    that is a question with more than one answer:-) What I saw from the Delta A2 System is undoubtly very impressive and desirable. On the other hand, an Argon Drive is capable as well and on Top versatile. I admit, that they are out of production…. But on the other hand rarely sold in used condition. I will make a decision over the Weekend and let you know.
    Thanks for your input and advice
    Karl

Hi,
    still think you're going off the deep-end. The same company I buy Delta from have their own brand ToAuto. I'm not a big fan of cheap Chinese servos, not because they don't work but the
    documentation and often lack of set-up software. None-the-less the prices are very compelling....for instance this is a 2kW servo kit (servo, drive and cables) for $340USD....... that's hard to beat,
    and being a matched you'll have the best probability of a good result.

https://www.fasttobuy.com/77nm-torqu...er_p35899.html

Craig