587,326 active members*
3,425 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > Recommendations for desktop CNC for milling polypropylene

Recommendations for desktop CNC for milling polypropylene

Hi, I am looking for any recommendations for a sturdy desktop sized CNC. I manufacture foot orthotics (arch supports) out of 40mm thick polypropylene, and am currently using a Roland MDX540. The Roland is great, but lacks a bit of grunt to cut with anything more than very small stepdowns. I am after something with cutting area around 600mmx600mm or therabouts with a bit of oomph to cut the hard material. Does anyone have any recommendations on what might be a suitable machine? Im located in Australia also. Thankyou

Re: Recommendations for desktop CNC for milling polypropylene

Quote Originally Posted by synergyorthotics View Post
    Hi, I am looking for any recommendations for a sturdy desktop sized CNC. I manufacture foot orthotics (arch supports) out of 40mm thick polypropylene, and am currently using a Roland MDX540. The Roland is great, but lacks a bit of grunt to cut with anything more than very small stepdowns. I am after something with cutting area around 600mmx600mm or therabouts with a bit of oomph to cut the hard material. Does anyone have any recommendations on what might be a suitable machine? Im located in Australia also. Thankyou
    Shapeoko HDM is designed for a workshop environment and offers a robust build capable of handling tougher materials. It's a larger, more powerful machine that could provide the "oomph" you're looking for.

Or BobsCNC E4. This router has a cutting area of 609.6mm x 609.6mm and features an SG20U supported rail system, which could offer the stability and strength required for cutting thick polypropylene.