587,101 active members*
4,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Milling > Most efficient way to perform a through-groove on hardwood

Question Most efficient way to perform a through-groove on hardwood

Hi all, I'm looking to do a series of long grooves that go all the way through 3/4 white oak in order to create a number of equally wide strips. The actual width of the groove doesn't matter - just that it goes all the way through - and the length is typically about 24". (I've attached a really simple mockup in case it isn't clear what I mean.)

The current approach I'm taking is just to take a 1/4" compression spiral and do three 1/4" passes, followed by a final pass to ensure that I go all the way through. I previously tried heavier passes and doing different feed rates, but this seems to provide the best results so far.

As I started to recently learn about adaptive clearing and utilizing the full height of the cutter to do light passes, it got me wondering if there's a better way to do this. For example, using a narrower bit to spiral down, and then clear it out progressively. Or maybe there's another technique I'm missing altogether? I'd appreciate any insight you might have on this.

Re: Most efficient way to perform a through-groove on hardwood

Use a panel saw to cut off the strips ?

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    Use a panel saw to cut off the strips ?
    Not an option here - this is just one of many steps that need to happen on the CNC as part of the same job. Just looking for a way to optimize this one.

Hi RDD - no mock up attached. But I imagine its a 24" long slot in 3/4" timber. The fastest way would be to use an upcut tool thats smaller then the slot size and do it in one pass down the middle. Then do a finishing cut. Why use a downcut? they can only do a light cut so they have clearance for the chips. An upcut will throw out the chip and the chip can be bigger? at least for the rough cut. Do you have an ATC? Using the 1/4" in 1/4" steps is inefficient, try long ramping down then circulating around as well.

The width of the groove does matter as if its say 1/2" wide it can be done with a single tool if its 2" wide then you have to cut around it and manage the centre "plug" somehow... Peter

Thank you all! Going to give both these approaches a try and see what one works best for us.

I do have an ATC so doing the bulk of it with the up-cut or a smaller bit makes sense. Initially I was just trying to reduce waste by using a compression bit that was 1/4" wide to cut a groove 1/4 wide, but I realized pretty quickly that there are issues with that approach which is when I posted here.