587,657 active members*
9,147 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Problems sending files to OSP5000 over RS-232

Hybrid View

Re: Problems sending files to OSP5000 over RS-232

1. Why the BTR was used?
    I have no idea. Maybe there are some advantages. Drip feed, for instance.
    2. Original TR. Usefull only in case if you need to use paper tapes.
    3. Serial port. I would check Read CN0:, and, if doesn't work CN1:

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    1. Why the BTR was used?
    I have no idea. Maybe there are some advantages. Drip feed, for instance.
    2. Original TR. Usefull only in case if you need to use paper tapes.
    3. Serial port. I would check Read CN0:, and, if doesn't work CN1:
    We purchased the machine 1999 from the original owner who purchased it new in 1981. I understand it was one of the first Okuma lathes commissioned in Australia and certainly the first LS30-N. I'm also told that the BTR was installed because they believed these earliest versions of OSP5000 machines could not support serial communication another (conflicting) story is that the techs back that did not understand how the coms worked and so installed a BTR to get around the lack of understanding.

The BTR used to work fine and frankly I have no issues going back to using it, but right now I have no coms, I have spare RS232 boards but none fix the problem. Which leads me to suspect that the BTR is bad thus my idea to try and get the serial port working and dump the BTR.

Lastly why is my send command using PUNCH NAME, PP: rather than CN0 or CN1? What does the "PP" mean?

PP:, CN0:, CN1: are port names.
    In my understanding, serial communication check is quick and easy. Then you can tell for sure if it's not working.
    It's easy to understand, why the supplier sold BTR to client for $$ instead of the serial cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    PP:, CN0:, CN1: are port names.
    In my understanding, serial communication check is quick and easy. Then you can tell for sure if it's not working.
    It's easy to understand, why the supplier sold BTR to client for $$ instead of the serial cable.
    Then I will set up my parameters and cable for the OSP 5000 and see if have any luck. Do you have any recommendation for the cable wiring config? Same as the LB15 (5000-LG) serial cable?
    Also which are the preferred parameter settings
    and
    Which commands should be used for send and recieve?
    Thank you.

see #2 and #6 comments on this topic.
    Main idea is to understand, what are you doing. Parameter numbers can differ from one instance to another.
    See two manuals attached, These are from this forum and contains some useful hints.
    page 14 contains a good version of diagram ( "Complete_Serial_Communications #1.pdf" ). If you need DB-9 at the PC end, check with 1st illustration of "RS 232 setup and communication.pdf" ( Fagor )
    The cable diagram there is also suitable at some conditions.
    Check the DB-9 pinout. The idea is:
    Gnd to Gnd ( no variations ) could be named as SGnd
    TxD goes to RxD ( no variations )
    RxD goes to TxD ( no variations )
    RTS goes to CTS ( can be bridged at both ends in between ) and there are some more variations
    CTS goes to RTS ( can be bridged at both ends in between ) and there are some more variations
    DSR goes to DTR ( can be connected to Gnd at both ends ) and there are some more variations
    here is really good detailed description

the communication will start if speed at both ends are set the same. All the rest of settings ensure proper decoding of data and flow control.

Quote Originally Posted by rotec View Post
    We purchased the machine 1999 from the original owner who purchased it new in 1981. I understand it was one of the first Okuma lathes commissioned in Australia and certainly the first LS30-N. I'm also told that the BTR was installed because they believed these earliest versions of OSP5000 machines could not support serial communication another (conflicting) story is that the techs back that did not understand how the coms worked and so installed a BTR to get around the lack of understanding.

The BTR used to work fine and frankly I have no issues going back to using it, but right now I have no coms, I have spare RS232 boards but none fix the problem. Which leads me to suspect that the BTR is bad thus my idea to try and get the serial port working and dump the BTR.

Lastly why is my send command using PUNCH NAME, PP: rather than CN0 or CN1? What does the "PP" mean?

Hi, if you use pip, give it a try
    PUNCH "NAME", TT:
    READ TT:, -> the program comes with A.MIN or a good dnc link program "FILENAME.MIN" (pc file name). Maybe it works too READ TT:"Name"

I have installed about 200-500 Okumas file transfers (1999-2020), but less and less and I don't remember exactly the old ones anymore

End of send is good to add [00] and %

Difficult machine sometimes. If you need help, you can also send email adress what you find igusystem.fi