Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
Hi, Azalin,

Oh yeah, that sounds like a good combination. I've used a few Schneider servos on customer machines, and they are very nice indeed. They are quite expensive in New Zealand so
I don't buy them for my own use, but a sure do like them. I used a second hand 1.8kW Allen Bradley servo for my 'steel' spindle. I built in myself and its manual change. I used a RegoFix ER25 toolholder,
cost a packet but it sure is nice.

Now that I have bought this new spindle, the impetus to complete another long running project of mine is likely delayed.

Years ago, I bought a remanufactured Vickers servo from circa '95. It's about 3kW, 12Nm continuous and 48Nm peak and 4000rpm (max). It was my intention to turn it into
an ATC spindle. It has a resolver rather than an encoder, and so finding an affordable servo drive for it is near impossible. As electronics is my thing I decided to design
and build my own Field Oriented Control drive for it. I had a rough prototype working as of six years ago. Since then I've sold my home, shifted, bought a business, built
a new machine....and so this project has been in abeyance for years.

I will probably use a BT30 or better a BT40 tool interface, and I'd now be looking for a gear or belt reduction to bring the max speed down to 2000rpm but increase the continuous torque
to 24Nm, and 100Nm peak. Should be just the ticket for face mills in steel and rigid tapping to maybe 16mm or even 20mm.

Once I get this new spindle up and running and explore its working envelope I might resurrect this high torque spindle project. For my business I really have need of a high speed spindle around 24000rpm,
but am hoping for major productivity gains by going to HSK32 tool interface. This is the priority, it is after all how I make my living.

Craig
The person who sold me the Schneider servo knew nothing about servos. He tried to turn the shaft but it was stuck then he said "I can't guarantee this servo works or not". So asked something like $50 for it.

The shaft didn't turn because the brake. :d

However the servo came with an advanced digital encoder with it and my ABB servo drive didn't have the function to read this encoder. I don't remember what it was. Endat maybe? So I replaced the encoder with a digital magnetic incremental encoder. I also removed the brake from the motor. Works perfect.

If I remember correctly Siemens made some nice high speed 230vac servos some decades ago. Hard to find but if you do they are perfect for mill spindles.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk