Hi,
the motion controller of a modern day Mori Seiki is a world apart from the 80's version.

You guys are advocating a depower on Estop as a means of certainty that the machine will stop. I contend that at least my motion control has stopped on every occasion
that its been requested and the extra certainty of depowering is not required. To my knowledge all modern well sorted motion controllers stop instantly when required
by an Estop. It would be a pretty bad failing if it did not. Have you heard of any motion control that does not stop when commanded to do so?

If you want the extra certainty and/or need to comply with the rules for business purposes, well that how most machines are made. I do not have to comply with that particular
rule, which I consider outdated anyway, neither do I estimate that I need the 'extra certainty' that depowering confers over and above what my motion control does already. After all I'm more
likely to suffer a major earthquake than I am for my motion control to go cranky....at least according to recent history!!

A Canadian distributor does a few simple mods , gets them certified then sells the machines here in Canada to institutions or guys like ourselves
Here in New Zealand we follow CE rules and does Canada, ie European rules and all equipment sold is supposed to be CE certified. In the US they have a CSA certification. They are slightly different.
I would not regard US equipment as dangerous, but its not quite the same as the required CE standard.

In CE equipment for instance the required EMI filter at the input of a machine is inductive input type, usually two stage. In CSA equipment the EMI filter is capacitive input, again usually two stage. In truth either work pretty
well but for CE certification you cant use the US EMI filter....you have to swap it out.

I don't know about Canada but here we have an agreement such equipment made and certified in China, I can't remember now the acronym, but maybe NDA or similar, but can be sold in New Zealand
as if it is CE certified. When you actually pull them to bits the actual build standard is at best fair, and commonly much worse, to the extent that I consider them electrically dangerous.
I have little or no problems with US, European or Japanese made equipment, they all have there own rules, but all of them a pretty good....but some of the Chinese stuff is atrocious.
I worked for seven years repairing welding equipment and found that cheap Chinese made inverter welders and plasmas are just a joke.

Craig