587,794 active members*
3,325 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC "do-it-yourself" > Another ball screw help question ????

Threaded View

Re: Another ball screw help question ????

So. As a quick update

Mass of the table assembly (X-axis) as according to my CAD model
    1.9 kg, not including ball screw assembly mass

Mass of table and saddle (Y-axis)
    8.6 kg + the mass of the x axis ball screw assembly

And I dont have an accurate reference for the machining head (z-axis) ar this time. But for a point of refference i did find an reference from an equivalent model come in at 29.0kg but i believe the BF-16V may come in a bit lighter, also, i uavent thought it all the way through but i anticipate i will end up adding kind of counter wieght on pullies or a gass strut.
    I have a lot more room on the Z-axis and could much more easily use a bigger diameter ball screw, but i do worry about the inertia of the larger diameter.

These are all likley to be under estimates however and x and y will obviously have to deal with vices material tool holding, fixturing ect. Again any recommendations for estimating would be awesome.

I have an inital calculation for the length of the travel of the x axis, current the length of the entire ballscrew is 440mm and further dependent on things like bearing blocks.
    I dont have a number for Y and Z respectively but is might guess ~~250 and 500 respectively, hopfulky less.

This is a very small mill so honestly dont mind if my rapids aren't amazing.
    As for feed rates was talking to a friend and they suggested 1000mm/min would be ample. Im flexible if its under. It's not a super heavy duty mill anyway, and when dealing with pitch I'd prefer fidality and accuracy over speed.

And some other points of reference about the mill.
    https://youtu.be/AU_nLOP7YrA?si=86Er3To4aOlZkoun

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/m649

https://www.reddit.com/r/CNC/comment...version_album/

And a couple of ps. My background is predominantly mechanical, taining in machine repair and reconditioning. electricals are still a bit foreign.

Ill be mounting mild steel supports as shown and attatching to a mild steel sencodary base. Very seriously concidering epoxy granite filling the base and column which wont effect the weights of moving components.

I have also scraped in the ways gibs, reference surfaces, and alot else. Bronze gibs, turcite on the short componets ways. One shot lube.

Havent dissmissed useing linear scales for feed back, currently runs a dro, might use the scales from that if it is possible(?)

I dont know that this effects much but i also intend on using three indervidual MPG handwheels to simulate manual use, as a time same, and idiot proofs me against having it set to the wrong axis and crashing. Might have someone smarter then me write script to identify manually imputed "continuos" motion with a high sample rate and have it output a true continuous speed with assigned rapids and feeds.

And your standard e stops, limit switches and sim.

Again, Thanks all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails master assembly old with base (1).jpg