587,698 active members*
3,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Check out my progress on my tool carousel for my AvidCNC PRO60120 / CNCDepot S30C

Hybrid View

Re: Check out my progress on my tool carousel for my AvidCNC PRO60120 / CNCDepot S30C

I'll be watching to see how your dust boot works out. I think their plug and play electronics setup has a port open on the ethernet smooth stepper. Sounds like your advice would be to find an appropriate breakout board and use that for my tool changer/dust boot needs.

Re: Check out my progress on my tool carousel for my AvidCNC PRO60120 / CNCDepot S30C

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoney2007 View Post
    I'll be watching to see how your dust boot works out. I think their plug and play electronics setup has a port open on the ethernet smooth stepper. Sounds like your advice would be to find an appropriate breakout board and use that for my tool changer/dust boot needs.
    Oh, if you can keep everything internal to the controller, by all means do so! Otherwise you are up to your eyeballs in C/C++ and embedded systems. Lol! My kind of place...

So you implemented gcode capabilities to your clearcore? I was looking to do the same so it can act as my controller for the SDSK motors I got, but unfortunately I do not have the C++ skills to do this task. If that is the case I would love to see how you went about doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by sgregorycel View Post
    So you implemented gcode capabilities to your clearcore? I was looking to do the same so it can act as my controller for the SDSK motors I got, but unfortunately I do not have the C++ skills to do this task. If that is the case I would love to see how you went about doing it!
    Actually, there is a project called Grbl which is the core from LinuxCNC ported to Arduino.

Grbl is the mother of all 3D printers. Marlin and the rest of them are either forks or borrow heavily from that project.

https://github.com/gnea/grbl

You can find help in porting here;

https://github.com/grblHAL

I was doing too much rewriting code and it was simpler to just do the direct control instead which is why I put that on ice. I will eventually come back around but that 4 motor limit just makes it a "see I can do it" project and not something I can monetize.

C is your language for embedded stuff. C++ is cool and all but everything is mostly C.

That said, Rust is pretty darn cool. Turning a full Raspberry Pi into a giant Arduino is a really neat feature. Operating systems tend to do what they want when they want, not what you need.

I am slowly angling towards doing Rust on the ClearCore. It is possible but I haven't done it yet.