Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
Hi MD - By CAM do you mean the tool pathing program or the machine controller (MC)? Most MC have look ahead and do slow down at corners. Look into the MC manual. If this is done in the toolpathing software then it would be a post processor thing or a setting in CAM, but more likely its a motion controller function. So what CAD do you use, MC do you use as all of these influence the result. eg I use Rhino3D, Alibre for CAD, Mecsoft for CAM and UCCNC for the MC and UC100 for motion control. Depending on the CAD I use influences my results. UCCNC imports dxf for profile work and that influences what I get as well in terms of max speeds and cuts. Its all a mystery sometimes. Peter

re plastics cutting speeds - yes to get the correct chip thickness for the tool requires very fast feeds. On my machine with a 2F 6mm tool it should run at 4m/min (12000rpm) (158in/min) according to the charts for a 0.2mm chip thickness. My machine is limited to 4m/min at the moment. I have to realign the gantry rails a bit better to get the speed up it has a small tight spot at the moment that is an issue for high speeds. 6m/min would be 600rpm for my steppers so starting to lose torque by then. At corners and radii UCCNC slows it to 1200mm/min...
I use a Tormach 24r router stock out of the crate. I use Sprutcam for all tool paths and g-code generation. The 24r router uses path pilot for machine control and this is a linux cnc derivative.
I requested to cam people a couple years ago a way to slow the machine feed down by a percentage as it approached direction changes to help mitigate the jerk or shake I see the machine do when changing directions.
Maybe the machine control has the ability to mitigate this and or the cam software might also have strategies and settings that could help this and I have not found them.
The machine does shake a little when spindle changes direction and this has been something I would like to control.