587,786 active members*
2,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Grid O' Holes

I have an SMW plate in 6061. Took me a bit to get used to using it but at this point I don't know how I would get along without it and my pair of mod vises. I have other setups and fixturing devices but for the overwhelming majority of what I do, its the mod vises and the fixture plate. Only thing I find myself wanting is a mod vise with more travel. When I start a job and have to size my raw material, it gets old having to constantly reposition the vise(s) to compensate for .5-2" of difference in material dimensions from one orientation to the next. Obviously there is a practical limit to how much travel a workholding device like that can have but I would think 1-2" should be doable.

Re: Grid O' Holes

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    I have an SMW plate in 6061. Took me a bit to get used to using it but at this point I don't know how I would get along without it and my pair of mod vises. I have other setups and fixturing devices but for the overwhelming majority of what I do, its the mod vises and the fixture plate. Only thing I find myself wanting is a mod vise with more travel. When I start a job and have to size my raw material, it gets old having to constantly reposition the vise(s) to compensate for .5-2" of difference in material dimensions from one orientation to the next. Obviously there is a practical limit to how much travel a workholding device like that can have but I would think 1-2" should be doable.

Thank you. That's very helpful. I have looked at Saunders Machine Works plates. They have some nice features. I used to buy Carr Lane CL5-TVLP Tiny Vise edge clamps from them (they no longer sell them) for use on my own fixture plates.

The Saunders plates are close, but not quite right for my use. I could use them to set up 2-4 parts for many jobs, but in some cases I can make 9 parts in one setup with the plates I use now. It might be that I can't figure out a more flexible system that is capable of the same part density, but I begrudge the time I spend swapping fixture plates and edge clamps. (I need to buy more edge clamps)

Just so you know. I am impressed with the Mod Vise. Its a neat design. Not as flexible as an Infinity Vise, but not bad at all. They both have the same issue of having to move the "moveable" jaw by loosening the hold down bolts. I no longer use my shop made Infinity Vise either.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com