587,584 active members*
3,892 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: HAFCO HM-47 (RF-47) CNC Conversion

Its a well documented conversion, done give up yet.
    If you are stuck with a pile of parts i will make a descent offer if you are close to Melbourne.
    One approach is to convert X and Y first, mill up the blocks using the machine itself, if you get stuck halfway you could bolt a compound table where the X and Y was to get you through the final details.
    After the Z axis will be much easier to fathom, Z being the most difficult.
    Wisdom results from foolishness!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenji View Post
    Its a well documented conversion, done give up yet.
    If you are stuck with a pile of parts i will make a descent offer if you are close to Melbourne.
    One approach is to convert X and Y first, mill up the blocks using the machine itself, if you get stuck halfway you could bolt a compound table where the X and Y was to get you through the final details.
    After the Z axis will be much easier to fathom, Z being the most difficult.
    Might be well documented but why waste money on junk in the first place?? To make junk into something decent you will spend more money than just going and buying something decent in the first place. And you will never get it back. Home built CNC never sell for even half of what the owners spend.
    As a CNC machine this conversion has so many limitations, including a useless spindle speed of 1600 and a 3MT.. it's a waist of time. You can buy a simular capacity machine, fully cnc'd for 8K off Alibaba

Quote Originally Posted by FastFarmer View Post
    Might be well documented but why waste money on junk in the first place?? To make junk into something decent you will spend more money than just going and buying something decent in the first place. And you will never get it back. Home built CNC never sell for even half of what the owners spend.
    As a CNC machine this conversion has so many limitations, including a useless spindle speed of 1600 and a 3MT.. it's a waist of time. You can buy a simular capacity machine, fully cnc'd for 8K off Alibaba

BTW, its not using the original lead screws.

This machine has come in at well under 8K. Our investment so fare is probably half that. Given my old man is an old retired mech engineer, and I am an instrument tech its only our spare time that its costing us now. Spindle is also going to be replaced at some point with a second had motor and VFD I have acquired for nothing. Its been a fun build so far, and its nearly done. I am just hunting down a second hand enclosure for the electronics now, as I am to tight to spend the $200 on a new one!

Sure, an 8k chinese machine might be better than what we have built. You are probably going to have to spend a few dollars on it anyway to make it work as designed. And I would put bets on you not getting your money back on you Chinese 8k investment either.