587,702 active members*
3,284 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > GE Fanuc & FANUC proprietary posts

Hybrid View

Re: GE Fanuc & FANUC proprietary posts

Well, we should clarify...

Fanuc is no longer associated with GE.. Fanuc America is a private company along with others, its more like a franchise today.

Since publishing purchasing codes/feature keys is legal in the EU, an EU site could be setup as a reference. Despite the legalities of having access to "the" information, it is still illegal (theft) to use features without purchase. Enforcement is an issue. The responsibility falls on the companies, Fanuc in this case, to ensure compliance for each fielded machine.

Having said all that, I like Fanuc America's products and support. I can only recommend purchasing features to help them, and companies supporting their products, to stay in business.

"it is still illegal (theft) to use features without purchase" what is your legal basis for that statement? My information is different.

Quote Originally Posted by memoryman View Post
    "it is still illegal (theft) to use features without purchase" what is your legal basis for that statement? My information is different.
    This is a complex issue, dependent on jurisdiction. In the EU, things you purchase, like license keys (intangible goods), MAC addresses on phones and computers, any kind of serial number is considered personal property. The manufacturer give up ownership to that information when the unit is sold. An EU citizen can elect not to share that information with anyone or conversely share with anyone and everyone if desired. Manufacturers who sold in the EU must have permission from the owners use that info internally or share the info with others. Additionally, EU right to forget laws forces manufacturers to remove any information from their system by the owner's request.

In the US, they are considered copyrighted information and the copyright owner usually restricts sharing the key under license agreements. In some cases, the key or serial number is a proof of ownership. Using it without permission is fraud. I'm not sure how it works in Crown governments.

Normally in all jurisdictions, using a unauthorized feature is considered "theft of services". But this falls into a legal grey area. If you bought a machine and the feature is already built-in, you may already own it. It really depends on the licensing (if any) on the software. It becomes increasingly difficult if the software is only upgradable by changing ROMs. Some argue because they are ROMs, it is part of the hardware and you should not be denied access to something you purchased and own. If a manufacturer wants $$$ for the feature, by some that is criminal extortion.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryMzz View Post
    But this falls into a legal grey area. If you bought a machine and the feature is already built-in, you may already own it. It really depends on the licensing (if any) on the software.
    I always wondered about that, if you payed for and owned the system, What ever is inside should be yours, I would think.

Especially if no agreement was ever signed?
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I agree that the issue is murky. Feature/option activation by software switches can be argued to be legal, but ultimately only the Supreme Court can decide.