587,711 active members*
4,119 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > How do I setup a 2.2kw spindle so iy could be indexed and held in that position?

Hybrid View

Re: How do I setup a 2.2kw spindle so iy could be indexed and held in that position?

Quote Originally Posted by allaces View Post

Using an auxiliary stepper motor to do the indexing was something I considered before reading your post, but I thought that might be ANOTHER one of my bad ideas. Now that you basically confirmed that this would be a reasonable option...

I was thinking of using a 12VDC automotive air conditioner mag clutch for engaging/disengaging the stepper.
    What do you think?

Ray
    I am considering doing the same thing on my lathe using a DMM 1.8KW servo, and a 12V automotive air conditioner clutch. The air conditioner clutch will transmit about 10 HP so should work well for a NEMA 34 stepper.

My lathe is a bit larger than yours (10 HP spindle), hence the need for a larger indexing drive.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Well lots of machining centers are using a regular Ac motor driven with a VFD Drive and have no trouble with indexing, I have built them also with indexing using a regular VFD Drive, so it can be done but not with the spindle motor he wanted to use
    I have not been successful trying to index my spindle motor with a sensorless vector VFD, maybe you could give me a hint as to how to accomplish it.

Motor: Fanuc 7.5 KW, 6000 RPM, 4 pole
    VFD: Automation Direct GS3, 10 HP w/encoder input option
    Encoder: 1024 line, RS422 output, driven from the spindle
    Control: Galil DMC-1846

Speed control works perfectly, but have never been able to get it to index. The original Fanuc drive would index it to +/- 1 degree.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: How do I setup a 2.2kw spindle so iy could be indexed and held in that position?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I am considering doing the same thing on my lathe using a DMM 1.8KW servo, and a 12V automotive air conditioner clutch. The air conditioner clutch will transmit about 10 HP so should work well for a NEMA 34 stepper.

My lathe is a bit larger than yours (10 HP spindle), hence the need for a larger indexing drive.
    Jim,

I did not know that they were good to 10HP!
    Clearly over kill for a Nema 34 stepper but I cannot think of anything else as simple and cheap.
    Glad to see that this idea has traction...

I'm having trouble finding a small 1 to 2 HP 3 phase motor for around $100. there are plenty of 3600 RPM ones for that or less. I guess I might go for one of those and gear it up to 5000 RPM... which is the top speed I would like at the spindle end.

Thanks for the heads up on the clutch.

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by allaces View Post
    Sandy,

I did not know that they were good to 10HP!
    Clearly over kill for a Nema 34 stepper but I cannot think of anything else as simple and cheap.
    Glad to see that this idea has traction...

I'm having trouble finding a small 1 to 2 HP 3 phase motor for around $100. there are plenty of 3600 RPM ones for that or less. I guess I might go for one of those and gear it up to 5000 RPM... which is the top speed I would like at the spindle end.

Thanks for the heads up on the clutch.

Ray

Here is one in Langley. $175. Looks like these guys have a lot of motors, looks like a used industrial equipment seller. Might be worth chatting with them, their phone is listed at the bottom of the ad

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...817156914.html

The small (<5hp) Baldor motors are rated at 6000 RPM absolute maximum.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Here is one in Langley. $175. Looks like these guys have a lot of motors, looks like a used industrial equipment seller. Might be worth chatting with them, their phone is listed at the bottom of the ad

Thanks Jim,

That looks like the place to buy for me. Close to home and no shipping!

Ray

Not all of them only some models have the 6,000 RPM rating washdown motors mostly and they can go more I have run them over 8,000 RPM without any problems
    Mactec54

I have not been successful trying to index my spindle motor with a sensorless vector VFD, maybe you could give me a hint as to how to accomplish it.

Motor: Fanuc 7.5 KW, 6000 RPM, 4 pole
    VFD: Automation Direct GS3, 10 HP w/encoder input option
    Encoder: 1024 line, RS422 output, driven from the spindle
    Control: Galil DMC-1846

Speed control works perfectly, but have never been able to get it to index. The original Fanuc drive would index it to +/- 1 degree.
    For an example check you Haas with the Rigid Tapping and the spindle orientation, these are using a regular inverter duty Baldor motor the encoder is on the spindle, they use a lot of DC to control the stiffness of the motor to a point of locking the motor, which you can do with some regular VFD Drives does not have to be a vector drive I did it with this Bridgeport Boss5 standard Ac motor and Yaskawa VFD Drive Encoder on the spindle and a brake on the spindle

The control also plays a big part as well
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    For an example check you Haas with the Rigid Tapping and the spindle orientation, these are using a regular inverter duty Baldor motor the encoder is on the spindle, they use a lot of DC to control the stiffness of the motor to a point of locking the motor, which you can do with some regular VFD Drives does not have to be a vector drive I did it with this Bridgeport Boss5 standard Ac motor and Yaskawa VFD Drive Encoder on the spindle and a brake on the spindle

The control also plays a big part as well
    Very nice and clean looking setup.
    How is the disk brake sequentially operated?

Ray