587,890 active members*
3,333 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EMC2 Vs. Other Software/Platform

I have downloaded the Ubuntu distribution and I am wondering what everyone's experience is with this application vs. other applications out there either Dos, Win, or MAC.

Linux is my favorite platform. I use it for hard disk recording in my studio. However, I find it difficult to find drivers and get support when I need it. Setting up a sangle app. can sometimes turn into a week long project.

I would like my CNC to be as stable as possible. This will be a hobby machine, but I dont want to have to work out a science project everytime I want to use the darn thing.

For starters, I can see problems. I installed the Ubuntu distribution and I have NO root access!

Thanks in advance!

Visit the following URL, it tells how to enable the root account password.

http://www.ubuntux.org/how-to-change...word-in-ubuntu

Ubuntu says, you don't need the root password on a normal Ubuntu install. Your user account will have full administrative privileges through use of sudo.

Alan

Thanks for the info. I'll have to give that a try.

It doesn't appear to be a problem to use EMC2, but to integrate it into my existing network, I will need root access. Plus I am just paranoid enough to have root access no matter wha!

I know what you mean, I even set up root access on my Mac.

Alan