587,224 active members*
4,182 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MasterCam or SolidWorks ?

MasterCam or SolidWorks ?

Hi everyone,
    I want to start learning how to do CNC programming using MAsterCam, but my dilema is whether to use SW or MC for 3D modelling. I am a CNC machinist with 7 years experience but also I am a certified "computer guy", therefore it will not be a problem to learn either of them... Although I would prefer to spend my energy just playing with only one software and trying to get as good as I can, I have realized that is more easier to create a model in SW than MC. I want to mention that I am a beginer in both. I would really like to hear your opinion on this one.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by cijunet View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I want to start learning how to do CNC programming using MAsterCam, but my dilema is whether to use SW or MC for 3D modelling. I am a CNC machinist with 7 years experience but also I am a certified "computer guy", therefore it will not be a problem to learn either of them... Although I would prefer to spend my energy just playing with only one software and trying to get as good as I can, I have realized that is more easier to create a model in SW than MC. I want to mention that I am a beginer in both. I would really like to hear your opinion on this one.
    Thank you!
    Use SW. As much as I love MC for Programming the CAD UI isn't that great. SW is easier, faster, and more powerful. After all it is just a stand alone 3D CAD Modeler. Unless you get the CAM Add-on which the roomers about that aren't the greatest.

MC for CNC Programming
    SW for CAD Modeling

Just my 2 cents.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I agree with tobyaxis 100% unless I am worng in that case its all tobyaxis's fault

Ditto

cijunet,

I'd agree with the above - we use solidworks with MCX for running a range of machines, from a little bench mill to a large Kondia 3axis VMC. Solidworks is so much easier for the modelling side - our students here manage to pick it up quite easily after a few hours tuition and working through the online tutorials etc.

Cheers

Alastair

I agree

I would agree. I use inventor 10 instead of SW, but the point is that MCAD is difficult to use as a drafting/modelling application (In my opinion.) On the plus side SW and Inventor import to MCAM easily and then the toolpath generation work can begin.

Best regards

Thank you guys for your reply! This helped me alot to make a decision.

Yw
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Hi fifesmith,mastercam is'nt difficult as you tell really.It can create complex shape of suface and solid and there contains various type of function like as "fplot" and so on, the real teast you want to know,teast it

I agree that SW has more power on the design side but I have used MC for my design and modeling for over 15 years and there modeling does a pretty decent job.

PS I feel it is better and easer to use in MCX2.

Now that is my 2 cents

Use what you feel more comfortable using can’t go wrong.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Mastercam solids are very easy to use, it may be less powerful than Solidworks but the power of surface and solids together in Mastercam is very powerful and is really no need for anything else for design. I'm a firm believer that if you are programming and designing get used to the one system it takes time jumping back and forth. I choose to use just Mastercam for my designing and programming. I have never needed any other design software in 15 years of using Mastercam and have made some very complex parts.
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

I believe "parts" is a key word here.
    How about assemblies, machines, weldments, sheetmetal, complete dies and simulation of mechanical assemblies.
    Most of my machined components come out of the above items.

IMO if you are just looking to make A PART integrated modeling in a high end CAM is quit acceptable.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I use both. Solidworks when designing parts, but once imported to Mastercam, it is sometimes more convenient to build tooling, fixturing etc. in that file. additionally you may add wireframe as boundaries or points of reference

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Arteman View Post
    Mastercam solids are very easy to use, it may be less powerful than Solidworks but the power of surface and solids together in Mastercam is very powerful and is really no need for anything else for design. I'm a firm believer that if you are programming and designing get used to the one system it takes time jumping back and forth. I choose to use just Mastercam for my designing and programming. I have never needed any other design software in 15 years of using Mastercam and have made some very complex parts.

The real answer is, it depends. I used mastercam as my design software for a few years because I had it, and I knew how to use it. I only did a few full tool designs (plastic injection molds) per year. I couldn't justify a full blown solid model package. I've grown to a point where Matercam is too slow. It's not that it can't be done, only that it can be done faster on another system.
    I use solid works for my design work now, and export to mastercam.