587,675 active members*
3,647 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: cnc parts,DIY and repair costs

I'm assuming the market for parts and consumables in the States is somewhat similar to what is here in OZ, in other words very little stuff actually MADE in the States, with resellers/distributors importing Chinese products and then selling them locally at 500-2000% mark-up, and trying to insinuate they are somehow better quality and value than the exact same item bought directly from China?

So far as OZ goes, if it wasn't for the availability of Chinese products, we'd be still possibly be importing the occasional $5 products from America with the requisite $100 shipping fee.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Actually a lot of stuff is still made in the USA. Ive worked in manufacturing all my life. I cant say manufacturing is as strong as it use to be and frankly a lot of consumer products have left the country.

Quote Originally Posted by aarggh View Post
    I'm assuming the market for parts and consumables in the States is somewhat similar to what is here in OZ, in other words very little stuff actually MADE in the States, with resellers/distributors importing Chinese products and then selling them locally at 500-2000% mark-up, and trying to insinuate they are somehow better quality and value than the exact same item bought directly from China?
    Well if you are trying to run a business you need to offer your products in the best light possible. My point here is that dealing directly with suppliers in China doesn't lead to the best possible prices every time.

As mentioned above i was looking for a Fuji pushbutton online and got some way out of the ball park figures. Eventually found a USA distributor with more rational pricing. The difference was close to 10x.
    So far as OZ goes, if it wasn't for the availability of Chinese products, we'd be still possibly be importing the occasional $5 products from America with the requisite $100 shipping fee.

cheers, Ian
    Sounds like OZ needs to build up its manufacturing base.

This reminds me, a decade or so ago a guy at the plant won a trip to OZ. Not sure how or where but he had glowing reports about the trip.

Re: cnc parts,DIY and repair costs

Thats what I thought about the 12 volt rateing for the stepper motor,thats why I didnt order one.Been getting some steppers motors from some of the larger printers.Pick them up for about 5 dollars or less at some of these second-hand stores.gotten some older nema 23,s,and some SS steel rod.If any one knows how to input a step and direction signal into the stepper motor driver printer circuit board let me know.but im thinking they are for unipolar motors,but you can rewire those 6 and 8 wire motors to 4-wire bipolar pretty easily.