587,900 active members*
3,178 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Skyfire CNC owners?

Well just got the call that the Skyfire is out of the Custom Met exam. Just got the bill too. I'm going to post it here just so you can see how messed up this BS is, like "Clean truck fee" and others. Anyway it may also be over, $2100 to get it out of Custom's jail. Here's the list, the ones underlined are what should of happened and I was prepared for. The REST is BS. "Pier pass charge" Sounds like a bridge Troll charge, BS. Anyway hopefully Pics tomorrow of a USA delivery after 5 months.

DEVANNING CHARGE 49.88

HANDLING CHARGE 75.00

CHASSIS RENTAL FEE 19.95

CHASSIS SPLIT FEE 11.97

CLEAN TRUCK FEE 11.97

PIER PASS CHARGE 23.94

PORT SECURITY CHARGE 25.00

CUSTOMS ID ACTIVATION FEE 25.00

ISF CHARGE 40.00

ISF BOND 65.00

CUSTOMS CLEARANCE FEE 95.00

CUSTOMS BOND 86.76

BONDED TRUCKING TO EXAM SITE 195.22

MET EXAM 195.00

MET PROCESSING FEE 55.00

LIFT-GATE 65.00

DELIVERY 188.10

RESIDENTIAL 55.00

WAREHOUSE CHARGES 87.00

IMPORT DUTY 736.87

$2,106.66 Total.

Holy crap they forgot to charge for the ink to make the invoice and printer maintenance fee. I feel a lot better now.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
    Well just got the call that the Skyfire is out of the Custom Met exam. Just got the bill too. I'm going to post it here just so you can see how messed up this BS is, like "Clean truck fee" and others. Anyway it may also be over, $2100 to get it out of Custom's jail. Here's the list, the ones underlined are what should of happened and I was prepared for. The REST is BS. "Pier pass charge" Sounds like a bridge Troll charge, BS. Anyway hopefully Pics tomorrow of a USA delivery after 5 months.

DEVANNING CHARGE 49.88

HANDLING CHARGE 75.00

CHASSIS RENTAL FEE 19.95

CHASSIS SPLIT FEE 11.97

CLEAN TRUCK FEE 11.97

PIER PASS CHARGE 23.94

PORT SECURITY CHARGE 25.00

CUSTOMS ID ACTIVATION FEE 25.00

ISF CHARGE 40.00

ISF BOND 65.00

CUSTOMS CLEARANCE FEE 95.00

CUSTOMS BOND 86.76

BONDED TRUCKING TO EXAM SITE 195.22

MET EXAM 195.00

MET PROCESSING FEE 55.00

LIFT-GATE 65.00

DELIVERY 188.10

RESIDENTIAL 55.00

WAREHOUSE CHARGES 87.00

IMPORT DUTY 736.87

$2,106.66 Total.

Holy crap they forgot to charge for the ink to make the invoice and printer maintenance fee. I feel a lot better now.

Jack
    I paid about $1100, not including ISF fee which I paid prior to shipping. In my thread I posted the process which I repost here for anyone interested and had no clue (like I did

Anyways, as promised I want to discuss a few points about the import process. It's more involved than getting a package though EMS. This is to the US; may be different in other countries.

What you should get from your vendor -
    An itemized invoice
    A Bill of Lading
    Packing list

Hopefully your vendor (Defeng here) will provide you with some info to get the ball rolling, like the container number, estimated vessel departure/arrival dates, vessel name, voyage number, master bill of lading number, AMS house bill of lading number.... Also the info of the consolidator and container stuffing warehouse. And the HBL/SCAC code.

All containers arriving by ship are subject to inspection by Customs and Border Patrol. and you'll have to fill out ISF 10+2 form (Importer Security Filing) PRIOR to the merchandise boarding the ship!!!! My eyes glazed over looking at the form, so I seeked the assistance of a customs broker. Thankfully, they are able to fill this out using the information in the previous paragraph.

For the customs broker, you'll have to sign a power of attorney form that allows them to file on your behalf. There is another form aside from the 10+2 that is filed that has more information from you (like SS# and other personal information). They'll also want the documents I listed above, as well as a copy of your photo ID. The fee is actually pretty reasonable, but this is the start only. Then the wating game begins.

When the package is close to port, you should receive an arrival notice. This is then sent to your customs broker. The nice thing here is your customs broker will do all the arrangements with the ocean company, from paying the ocean freight and customs fee, as well as truck and warehouse your shipment. This all comes at a fee, of course, along with the bond premium, estimated duty, ISF fee, ISF single transaction bond, and other fees. You pay the ISF fee and single transaction bond first, before your package leaves port. All the other goodies are paid at pick-up (or delivery).

Well, this is pretty much it. It's actually less daunting, since your customs broker handles everything and you just send a photo ID, the shipping info supplied by your vendor, and the "cabbage."

For those who asked, my customs broker was WB Skinner, in Lodi, NJ. Michael Skinner was extremely helpful with the whole process.

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    I paid about $1100, not including ISF fee which I paid prior to shipping. In my thread I posted the process which I repost here for anyone interested and had no clue (like I did
    Hi, I was fully aware that a price for import was in the air

I paid about A$2,000 too when the final bills were added up.

That is still a heck of a lot cheaper than buying the same machine from a dealer after they pay all the import duties and add their mark up.

Direct importing has it's draw backs as in the time taken if things get out of hand, but generally the time frame is pretty reasonable for the price savings.
    Ian.