Thought I would post what I went through today on my 2005 SMM (in reference to the last few messages above) --

First I went after it using the Starrett .0005" per foot level. The machine had "settled" just slightly toward the front since I landed it (1.5 marks on the bubble), so got it back to level with everything centered up (X and Y).

I also checked level running the table to the limits in X, and as expected... it "sags" (table goes low at the extended end) close to 2 lines on the bubble with X at the limit either way. It changes in Y a bit as well, though not as much.

Next, I placed my Hermann Schmidt master square on the table, and indicated up/down it on the Y side and on the X side, with the table in various locations. The master square is 7" tall, so I also tracked it with the Z near top of travel as well as near the bottom of travel. Every location yielded *slightly* different results. At the extremes (worst measurements) in fore/aft, I saw ~.0015" -delta- from most "tipped forward at the top" to... "most tipped backward at the top". As probably expected, the square tipped toward me with the Y axis plus (table all the way toward operator) and the square tipped just slightly toward the back at the top when the table was all the way back (Y negative). While these measurements moved around a fair bit (probably more than I'd like), they were all clustered around an average that leads me to believe the Z column (i.e. the guideways) are "close enough" to being square to the table in both the X and Y directions.

So far, nothing unexpected, I suppose.

I then swept the full width of the table (11.5") with the indicator stuck to the spindle. TIR was right at .0015" "heavy" at the front. I did the measurement with the X and Y both dead center in their travel. I then just loosened the 6 SHC screws that bolt the spindle to the bottom of the Z. With a little gentle tapping with a dead-blow plastic hammer, I backed off the screws and tapped on the spindle housing until I could just sneak a .002" shim into the gap and work my way around to see if there were any shims already installed. I found none. I then cut two pieces of .001" brass shimstock, placed them at about 10:30 and 1:30 positions (right up next to the bolts at 10 and 2 o'clock). I slowly worked my way around bringing the spindle up and incrementing the torque, and then tightened all the bolts up to 40 ft/lbs.

End result -- I'm now at about .0002" -heavy- on the back side of the table. Considering the machine, its age (2005, though it has low hours), I'm good with it. It's a lot closer than it was.

There is no denying, however, that this is not a Hermle. <grin>. The table and bearings "sag" in the expected direction any time table travel gets toward the limits.

//end of my story... for now.

PM