587,478 active members*
3,288 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Re: Tormach Product Teaser

just saw 1st announcement... it is the 440 PDB...
    guessing ATC is next?
    as an 1100 owner, I find the PDB for the 440 to be boring...
    NOTE:As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists.

It seems that they ditched the previous glued on actuation button for something that looks a little more professional. I wonder if they'll offer the new control box as a retrofit for the 770/1100.

++++++1

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    It seems that they ditched the previous glued on actuation button for something that looks a little more professional. I wonder if they'll offer the new control box as a retrofit for the 770/1100.
    From the pictures it looks to me to be a simple manually activated 5-Port pneumatic switch. If the picture represents the entire kit then it doesn't appear to include any electronics or even require electrical power. For a minimal solution this is actually all you need but (assuming this is the entire kit) this won't support the ATC without modification.
    I don't really think this is would be a step up for a 1100, but if that's what you want then I have good news - you already have it! Check on top of the PDB pneumatic switch, you'll find a small colored knob. Press it and your tool will fall out
    Step

Looking at the installation manual I believe that you are correct; it uses a manually operated valve. I just assumed that the button operated an electrical valve when using the PDB without the ATC rather like the 770/1100 design.

I replaced that stupid membrane switch thing with a 22mm latching pushbutton switch, mounted in a hole on the front of the spindle door.

Push the button in, latches the PDB open. Replace the tool, push the button again to close it. Looks better.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I replaced that stupid membrane switch thing with a 22mm latching pushbutton switch, mounted in a hole on the front of the spindle door.

Push the button in, latches the PDB open. Replace the tool, push the button again to close it. Looks better.
    Sounds better also, got pitchers n' details?

gary

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    Sounds better also, got pitchers n' details?

gary
    +1

That's something I really need to do. Sometimes you need 3 hands to keep the collet open, pull the old tool, and insert the new tool.

Get a foot switch!

Get a foot switch!
    Too much stuff to trip over as it is!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    That's something I really need to do. Sometimes you need 3 hands to keep the collet open, pull the old tool, and insert the new tool.
    I replaced the membrane switch because it kept releasing on my when I was changing tools. And the whole "push two buttons to lock it open" was deucedly hard for me to do reliably.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

I like this idea. Thought about a footswitch but really dont want anything else on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
    I like this idea. Thought about a footswitch but really dont want anything else on the ground.
    I like and use both.