Sorry for being so late, but hopefully this might help out others who are having trouble connecting to Leadshine type closed loop stepper drives.

I had this same problem with the "Unknown Drive" error with some HBS86H drives a few months ago. (I think it actually says "Unrecognized Model" but this might depend on the software version.) I eventually discovered that if I plug the drive into COM1 on my computer and select COM1 in the software I get the "Unknown Drive" error, but if I select, for example, COM8 in the software and leave the drive connected to COM1 it works fine. There are 10 COM port choices in ProTuner and the one I have to select to get it to recognize the drive seems to very from drive to drive and day to day, but usually it is one of the higher numbers ports. I just try all the ports until I find the one that works.

I only have four COM ports on my computer, so it took me a long time to figure this out as I did not think about selecting the higher number ports listed in ProTuner.

I would be curious to know if this solution works for anybody else who it having problems connecting to their drives, or if my problem is unrelated.

Kurt